Adjustment to late onset deafness

More explanation on the issue, I have been able to determine it isn't earwax (first thought to my mind to Kristinab), but my real concern is my left ear makes this bass like beep for about 2 seconds and then my hearing is gone. Sometimes it comes back quick and sometimes it doesn't.

More explanation on the issue, I have been able to determine it isn't earwax (first thought to my mind to Kristinab), but my real concern is my left ear makes this bass like beep for about 2 seconds and then my hearing is gone. Sometimes it comes back quick and sometimes it doesn't.

You were checked for Meniere's disease?

You were checked for Meniere's disease?

That's what it sounds like. I have heard many with Menieres say they heard a low sound or roar besides their normal tinnitus right before a drop in hearing or a vertigo attack as well.

Dumb question what is Menieres? Growing up with hearing problems and even as an adult I do not understand much about it. As for your question I can garauntee I haven't been tested.

Ok this is now really getting strange. I always thought when I got veritgo it was because of an ear infection, now I am not so sure. We don't have any ENT's where I am from. We only have ones who come in from time to time. Do I have to see an ENT or can I see a GP?

Hi Seagirl
I have Meniere's disease myself and have since 2002 it started in my right ear and then went over to my right ear a few years later. Meniere's Disease is a rare disease only 2% of the worlds population get it and that unilateral out of that 30% go bilateral. Meniere's is not an easy disease for doctors to diagnose right away it can take years and not all ENTs have experience with the disease. I see an Ontonerologist who specializes in vestibular disorders like Meniere’s disease and he is one of nine doctors in Canada who do consult some ENTs. There is a great support site for people with Meniere’s Disease if you have questions or feel free to message me I would be happy to answer them here is that link MENIERES.ORG -- Coping support site for Meniere's Disease. You are not alone!

Take care, Don

Last edited:
Sorry to interrupt!

I don't meant to derail any current discussions going on here, but I wanted to chime in with some of my thoughts if that's ok.

I'm 28, and like I said in my introductory post, I just found out that I'm HOH. I was ok about receiving the news - I think deep down I'd suspected it anyway. But now, a week after my hearing test, I'd almost swear my hearing was getting even worse! I'm hoping it's psychological? Psychosomatic? I kind of always ignored my hearing problems and just let myself believe that it was the fault of the speaker, not me.

Within the span of a few days, I'm suddenly having a LOT of trouble hearing people over the phone. I actually called my cell phone company to complain because I thought my phone was faulty. Also, it sounds like there is an echo sometimes when I'm watching tv. And the tinnitus has REALLY increased; it even wakes me up at night and then I can't go back to sleep. Also, I realized the other night that I can no longer hear the oven timer beeping with background noise, which is also new. I have an appt with my ENT in a couple of weeks, by the way.

I'm just wondering for people who started losing their hearing later in life, how fast it progressed. I understand that each person is different, and that each diagnosis is different, but I was just curious about other peoples' experiences. I wasn't expecting things to go downhill so fast (assuming this is not psychologically induced).

I don't meant to derail any current discussions going on here, but I wanted to chime in with some of my thoughts if that's ok.

I'm 28, and like I said in my introductory post, I just found out that I'm HOH. I was ok about receiving the news - I think deep down I'd suspected it anyway. But now, a week after my hearing test, I'd almost swear my hearing was getting even worse! I'm hoping it's psychological? Psychosomatic? I kind of always ignored my hearing problems and just let myself believe that it was the fault of the speaker, not me.

Within the span of a few days, I'm suddenly having a LOT of trouble hearing people over the phone. I actually called my cell phone company to complain because I thought my phone was faulty. Also, it sounds like there is an echo sometimes when I'm watching tv. And the tinnitus has REALLY increased; it even wakes me up at night and then I can't go back to sleep. Also, I realized the other night that I can no longer hear the oven timer beeping with background noise, which is also new. I have an appt with my ENT in a couple of weeks, by the way.

I'm just wondering for people who started losing their hearing later in life, how fast it progressed. I understand that each person is different, and that each diagnosis is different, but I was just curious about other peoples' experiences. I wasn't expecting things to go downhill so fast (assuming this is not psychologically induced).

For some people it goes pretty quickly and for others it goes slowly. I wonder if, now that you are aware (for certain) you are allowing your body to relax and not thinking you are supposed to hear these things. I know when mine started to get worse, I would anticipate the sounds needed and would make sure that I heard them. I'm not sure how to explain it. Right now, I am more glad than before that I lost all of my hearing. I am more relaxed about a lot of things. (astill get stressed with others, but that's neither here nor there). As far as my hearing, I am glad I don't have to deal with it anymore.

Speaking of progressive hearing loss, I finally got an audiogram. My good ear has gotten worse so that it now matches my bad ear. I had been compensating with my good ear. Now, I'm symmetrical. The audiologist reprogrammed my hearing aids. With the new programming, speech is less distorted. Cranking up the volume has me on sensory overload right now but I suppose that I'll adjust (or head back to the office for a change!). Not a surprise because it was pretty much what I expected.

I really like the new audiologist who tested me. She is young and nice. She did seem a bit clueless about genetic progressive hearing loss, though. The neighborhood practice is primarily elderly patients with age related hearing loss. She told me that she wants me to see an ENT for a consultation, which I consider a complete waste of time. When I asked her why, she said something about what might be coming up in the future. Ya'll send me a memo if that future cure becomes suddenly available. Until then, I'll be busy getting on with my life. LOL!

Good news is that my hubby is supportive and has offered to learn ASL. That means a lot to me.

glad to read about you and your husband, sally :wave: and that you like the new audi. I think finding "professionals" to have good working relationships with is so important and I haven't always been lucky that way. Except that she wants you to see the ENT...

Mom and I went to see movie today. I no longer need ear plugs for in the theater :lol:

Speaking of progressive hearing loss, I finally got an audiogram. My good ear has gotten worse so that it now matches my bad ear. I had been compensating with my good ear. Now, I'm symmetrical. The audiologist reprogrammed my hearing aids. With the new programming, speech is less distorted. Cranking up the volume has me on sensory overload right now but I suppose that I'll adjust (or head back to the office for a change!). Not a surprise because it was pretty much what I expected.

I really like the new audiologist who tested me. She is young and nice. She did seem a bit clueless about genetic progressive hearing loss, though. The neighborhood practice is primarily elderly patients with age related hearing loss. She told me that she wants me to see an ENT for a consultation, which I consider a complete waste of time. When I asked her why, she said something about what might be coming up in the future. Ya'll send me a memo if that future cure becomes suddenly available. Until then, I'll be busy getting on with my life. LOL!

Good news is that my hubby is supportive and has offered to learn ASL. That means a lot to me.

That is so great! It will have a postive impact on yoru already strong marriage! :hug:

Hi! I am so excited. I am finally getting a new earmold. Its going to be blue and white marble sparkles. Yay! I am so impressed with the selection these days. No more ugly putty colored ones.

My audiologist signs with me a bit now. It seems that she used to teach asl somewhere. (couldnt make it out)

Oh, and I doubt you guys will remember, but I told a few people about the misfortunes my young interpretor friend had. He is back now and doing much better. Thanks to everyone who sent their support. He came over to the house Saturday and we had a very nice visit. It was so nice to have someone to sign with again. Its not like being my everyday wallflower me.

Am I the only person who had the attitude of "I really don't care too much" about my hearing loss? When I noticed my hearing was starting to get bad, I simply signed up for an ASL class and started to hang out with the Deaf. Best thing I ever did. :wave:

Am I the only person who had the attitude of "I really don't care too much" about my hearing loss? When I noticed my hearing was starting to get bad, I simply signed up for an ASL class and started to hang out with the Deaf. Best thing I ever did. :wave:

There's a bunch of us late deafened people who have gotten to the point that we can handle it. But like anything, most of us had to go through a grieving process as we lost something that at the time was very important to us. There are some who may not have had the advantage that I did. I at least knew from the time I was 6 or 7 that I would lose all of my hearing and so I had 30-35 years to go through and prepare myself.

That's great about your husband. Should I assume that you are an ASL user now or will you, too, be taking the class?

Tousi, I'm learning, too, so we can learn together.

Yea for sparkly ear molds!

Back