ADHD or ADD

dan_the_manAU

Reaction score
Is there any reported cases of individuals who are deaf and also have ADHD or ADD ?

Yes, plenty of them. Some ad'ers have it. I know one personally who has one on this forum.

Yes, plenty of them. Some ad'ers have it. I know one personally who has one on this forum.

thank you for your prompt reply :)

Lets focus on the attention part. This interests me.

What do they find are their distractions? ie. Would it just be day dreaming? Or I guess other visual things happening around them?

well, i'm hoh and my mom says i have dadd (driving attention deficit disorder). i can't concentrate on just driving, i zone out (can't really say it has anything to do with the visual around me or the sounds around me, its just zoning out... or im doing like 10 things while i drive.). other times when i'm not driving, its either day dreaming or doing a bunch of things at one time and forgetting what i had initially started to do (like say i start putting clothes away, then i start cleaning and forget to put the clothes away).

You might be interested to hear about my daughter. I have a 7 year old daughter who is deaf and has PDD (Pervasive Developmental Disorder). Let me tell you, it was so hard to deal with a child in my life. I also have been fighting with school about deaf education and it hasn't been successful yet. Have you heard about this one? I would love to find a few parents who have deaf and autism or pdd children.

Shanna

ADD and ADHD manifests in a deaf individual the same way it manifests in a hearing individual. It is a neurological disorder, and is not dependent upon hearing status.

What would you like to know about PDD, Shanna? If you have a child who is deaf and also diagnosed with PDD, you indeed have your hands full!

ADD and ADHD manifests in a deaf individual the same way it manifests in a hearing individual. It is a neurological disorder, and is not dependent upon hearing status.

What would you like to know about PDD, Shanna? If you have a child who is deaf and also diagnosed with PDD, you indeed have your hands full!

I know a lot of things about Autism Spectrum. Like I said, I have a daughter who is deaf and diagnosed with PDD. She has diagnosed with PDD when she was 3 years old. Actually, I am looking for someone who have the same experience like mine. I hope I am not only one because I couldn't find any one in Dallas area. Of course, I always have hands full with my daughter but she wasnt that bad. :aw:

thank you for your prompt reply :)

Lets focus on the attention part. This interests me.

What do they find are their distractions? ie. Would it just be day dreaming? Or I guess other visual things happening around them?

I have ADD. I would say day dreaming was a problem for me while I was in school. But, it can be anything now. If I'm doing something and get distracted by someone or something, I'll literally forget what I'm doing and go do that "other thing". I might come back two hrs later to finish the previous tasks IF I remember, but that rarely happens. I have to reallyg concentrate on one thing at a time if I'm going to get it done. The idea of multi-tasking just does NOT exist for me. I really can't handle trying to do more than one task at a time and I never could.

I haven't get diagnose of ADD or ADHD yet. I don't know if I have it or not.

I watched on tv "Dr. Phil" about addict to video game and have an ADD.

Dr. Phil.com - Shows - Virtual Chaos
There are different types of ADD and ADHD. ADHD is more severe than ADD.

The kind I had was where I wouldn't pay attention in class. I wasn't distracted by anything in particular such as television or video games. I just never paid attention in class.

I have ADHD myself. I have hard time to stay in same place for awhile, I have to move to different places or just moving to go go go, just can't stand there for a long time or even sit. also i have hard time to pay attention in school, too much distract. Also, I was VERY hyper and wild girl but now, more better but still a little hyper for just fun ;)

There are different types of ADD and ADHD. ADHD is more severe than ADD.

The kind I had was where I wouldn't pay attention in class. I wasn't distracted by anything in particular such as television or video games. I just never paid attention in class.

I might have ADD. I never ask my doctor if I have it. I should to ask. I am very distract easy. I didn't attention to school either. I never finish with my degree.

My mom and I might have ADD. My husband think she is crazy. He noticed I am very distract.

I was dx'd with ADDHD when I was 27 years old.

When I was in school, I would doodle a lot in class. Organization isn't my strong suit; once I called an "Eng 50" student at Gally by someone who was rather underwhelmed by my organizational skills.

I was 9 when i was diagnosed. Back then, Ritalin was the drug of choice. I wonder what's prescribed to kids these days..?

Back