Adaptive ASL?

lostandtryingmybest

Reaction score
So I've learned a bit of ASL, not all that much yet, and aside from lack of access/lack of community IRL there are kind of two reasons.

The first is, I use a cane to walk, so I usually only have one hand available to sign, and I can't really sacrifice my balance to bring my base hand within view. I've heard this isn't impossible for people to understand, but are there particular signs to watch out for that could need extra clarity to avoid mix-ups?

The second and I think definitely way worse is, I can't really gesture and express with my face. I don't like going into it because that's disability/medical particulars and all - I promise, I've tried, I'm not just being lazy or not used to it yet, I can't do it. I can think of some personal adaptations I could make (say in the dream situation I get to sign at home/with a friend group), but I was wondering if there are any "common" ones already out there, and again signs to watch out for?

Thanks :) I know there are different signs and features in all different places, I'm just wondering if there are any sort of common, agreed-upon ones.

As someone who has been in the Deaf community, I have seen all kinds of signs and varieties. Some sign fast others slow and so on. It's okay to sign with one hand or sit down to sign with both hands. And some don't use as much expressive face but it's probably needed though. But the point it to do your best and the more you are around people that signs the better you'll improve. I understand it's hard if you're not in a signing environment or don't have access to it.

*Also this forum hasn't been as active as it used to be so it may be a little slow to respond.

Thank you! Though I'm less worried about learning to understand others so much as I am worried about learning to be understood. Again I don't really want to go into the particulars but I just do not have the facial control necessary for a number of things, with facial markers in signing among them.
I know there are sign pidgins, signed English, things like that, but I think - as much as possible - I'd like to be using ASL myself, even if it means I might sometimes have to use adapted or non-ASL features.

That's fair, yeah. I know places like Reddit are more active but ohhh my I do not care for Reddit, let me tell you. I haven't been in d/Deaf specific communities there but the general attitude of people there can be so cruel. Besides, I can't help but be a little nostalgic for the forums of old, as nice as modern platforms can be.

Many Deaf drivers like me usually sign with one hand while driving a car, so holding a cane on your right hand, and use sign language on your left hand will be fine.

So I've learned a bit of ASL, not all that much yet, and aside from lack of access/lack of community IRL there are kind of two reasons.

The first is, I use a cane to walk, so I usually only have one hand available to sign, and I can't really sacrifice my balance to bring my base hand within view. I've heard this isn't impossible for people to understand, but are there particular signs to watch out for that could need extra clarity to avoid mix-ups?

The second and I think definitely way worse is, I can't really gesture and express with my face. I don't like going into it because that's disability/medical particulars and all - I promise, I've tried iq test. I'm not just being lazy or not used to it yet, I can't do it. I can think of some personal adaptations I could make (say in the dream situation I get to sign at home/with a friend group), but I was wondering if there are any "common" ones already out there, and again signs to watch out for?

Thanks :) I know there are different signs and features in all different places, I'm just wondering if there are any sort of common, agreed-upon ones.
Some signs can be done with one hand, especially if the context is clear. However, some signs may require two hands to avoid confusion or ambiguity. For example, the sign for PLAY is usually done with two hands, but if you use one hand, it may look like the sign for YELLOW. You can also use your body or head to indicate the location of the base hand, or use fingerspelling to clarify the meaning of a sign.

Facial expressions and body movements are very important in ASL, as they convey grammar and emotion. It may be possible to sign without using facial expressions or body movements, but it may give a mixed message, be confusing, or be misunderstood. You may want to think of facial expressions as part of the grammar of ASL, rather than as a way of showing emotion. For example, you can raise your eyebrows when asking a yes/no question, or lower them when asking a wh-question.

Back