Activation Day...

How long did that last before voices seemed more normal?

How long did that last before voices seemed more normal?

well for me it was quick, for me it was just getting used to a new implant and processor, nbd cause i had an implant there for 14-15 years. But it took a week before i started hearing normal voice sounds.

Yah it is very much individual as to when you will feel up to going back to work. And if your job is more demanding than say an office job, you might need to wait a bit longer. I found my biggest problem was tiring quickly, likely due to not sleeping very well as every time I rolled over I would get a twinge of pain and wake up...that is gone now finally though only took about 5 weeks.

I decided to get an implant after much research. I havent been able to really use the phone for probably the past year. I am trying with the CI and the volume is great but I just need the clarity to improve, which it does day by day. I was basically limited to one on one conversations relying on lip-reading most of the time. Captions of course on TV, music and radio were out of the question.

I find that now I am much more likely to just strike up a conversation both with people I know eg co-workers, or even strangers eg salespeople. I catch parts of conversations on the other side of the office (cubicle city so no walls) and can go over and join in....before I didnt even know these conversations were taking place. My co-workers have also noticed a big improvement and end up saying stuff like...."I can't believe you can hear me from over there". It's not perfect yet, but like I said before it gets better every day.
FYI, you could also take up some audio verbal therapy lessons to try to improve your hearing or listening skills. For instance, you could have some practice sessions communicating on the phone with a therapist or something.

Back