Activation day

Franz K

Reaction score
My activation day was on Monday. It's been an interesting experience so far. My audiologist started me off right away with the Hi Res 120. There's a lot more variation in the tones with the 120 than with the Hi Res program he gave me.

I'm not going to to write about it too in-depth here, since I've been blogging about it. The url is: unstruck-sound.blogspot.com. I've put up a bunch of posts today about what the experience has been been like.

I'm getting the typical, wow, birds are really noisy experience that so many people get. It already sounds a lot better than it did two days ago, but I've still got a long way to go. Overall, it's been a positive experience. The wind is starting to sound more normal, as are a lot of environmental sounds. And strangely enough, even though it doesn't sound right, I'm able to differentiate between most notes on my guitar. I can recognize the beats to my favorite songs. Voices sound like static, but when I'm lip-reading or reading along they sound almost normal. The brain is such an amazing thing. I'm having a lot of fun with this. The birds have definitely been my favorite part so far.

Franz,

Congratulations... enjoy your new "toy".

I'll be reading your blog after this post..

take care.

-----------------------
Glad you liked the movie. I found it some time ago as well.

Like you said in your blog...

You "chose your destiny"... Great words!

Glad you are turned on hope sounds get less staticky for you soon.How come on your site whats in your hand looks different than what is on your ear..JUst curious.

Woohoo! Congratulations on your activation!

I can't wait til mine! I hope to find out tmr when my activation appt is! I plan to also keep a blog about that too. :]

Have fun with your 'new hearing' and 'toy' :]

I'm glad you have started off well and will check out your blog when I have a chance. The birds are my favourite sounds as well as we have lots of tall trees around where we live where cockatoos, bellbirds, parrots etc live. They are not quiet!

I hope the sound of voices improve and it's a great sign that when you lipread, they sound a lot more normal to you.

Just checked your well written blog (brings back memories!) and it was good to see that you are no longer dizzy. That was something you were worried about, wasn't it?

I don't know if I'd call these CI moments, since I can still hear so much better with the hearing aid in my left ear, but I've made a lot of progress since getting turned on last week. Considering it's been just over three weeks since my surgery, I have to be happy with that. I'm reading along with Cormac McCarthy's Pulitzer-Winning THE ROAD (audiobook) and the narrator has the deepest voice I've heard yet with the implant... Earlier today, I was thinking about bass, and wondering where it was, tinkering with the EQs, wondering why every beat sounded like a high hat exploding in my head. Arghh... the bass. Raging thoughts went out randomly, and I felt the sudden urge to throttle a particularly unlikable ear doctor I had 20 years ago, who wanted to give me a cochlear implant back then, at a time when that basically involved taking parts from the busted-up radios of El Rancheros, using a chisel to make the incision, etc. I wanted to implant the doc with a squeaky toy, even though I haven't seen him in 20 years and he really has nothing to do with anything.
And then tonight, lo... the bass. Not quite the gut-rumbling stuff that pours out of souped-up Corvettes and Gospel churches, but a couple thousand khz lower than what I heard yesterday... what happened? Willpower? The silky smooth Isaac Hayeseque bass of the guy narrating THE ROAD? The threats and cajoling I've been giving to this pouty little platinum child in my head?

Not bad for an ear that's never been stimulated. I guess your brain is using some information acquired from use of the other ear to help interpret sounds?

awesome Frank! enjoyed reading your post.. I mean your writing style. eh.

I agree--your writing style is polished and dynamic. I'm a writer myself, and while I have a different style, I find yours quite compelling.

Are you published?

I agree--your writing style is polished and dynamic. I'm a writer myself, and while I have a different style, I find yours quite compelling.

Are you published?

He should be. I was reading his blog and find his style of writing very lively and entertaining.

dasderdly doctors

doctor I had 20 years ago, who wanted to give me a cochlear implant back then, at a time when that basically involved taking parts from the busted-up radios of El Rancheros, using a chisel to make the incision, etc. I wanted to implant the doc with a squeaky toy, even though [/QUOTE]
Good God Man ! Are you kidding me? Thats insane. I would love to see you implant him LOL! Your writing still is so wonderful,I wish I could think of who you remind me of.I too have lost my low tones which they have told me most people lose the high tones and the low tones are much harder to work with. Alas...continuing to find solution. hope your mapping continues to increase the good tones for you.

doctor I had 20 years ago, who wanted to give me a cochlear implant back then, at a time when that basically involved taking parts from the busted-up radios of El Rancheros, using a chisel to make the incision, etc. I wanted to implant the doc with a squeaky toy, even though
Good God Man ! Are you kidding me? Thats insane. I would love to see you implant him LOL! Your writing still is so wonderful,I wish I could think of who you remind me of.I too have lost my low tones which they have told me most people lose the high tones and the low tones are much harder to work with. Alas...continuing to find solution. hope your mapping continues to increase the good tones for you.[/QUOTE]

Heh. My brother has an implant from 20 years ago. His scar looks bigger than those today, but it's basically the same insides. He could get a newer external unit if he wanted to hear, but for him, hearing sucks.

Franz K:

Congratulations on your activation! The birds were my favorite thing to hear after I was activated too. :)

Hi Franz,

You're doing great, enjoyed having a read through the prolific blog posts and it's like I can really share the ride with you.

Could you tell me how the guitar is going for you and how the sounds/timbres are developing with the C.I?

I'm in a similar boat, almost identical in-fact, you know, the one with the big pink and green polka dot sails..
Well, my hearing in my right ear these days is practically just shot, barely any use for any sort except for recognizing there was something that made a noise, and I have to rely on my left ear for any contextual understanding, so the doctors are urging me to get an implant now. I'm just plain scared at what I stand to lose/gain from a musicial perspective.

Well, I'll be in touch.

peace

Back