Act Now to Protect our Deaf Schools!

My old friend just PM me that "your ex school is in trouble". It's so sad to see my old two schools that are in trouble. =? I saw the lists and my two old schools are in there.

Although NAD should had done it a long time ago, I hope their actions will stop the states from closing or downsizing their schools for the Deaf.

Now there is an ongoing protest by the Deaf students and staff against Frenc-speaking Centre Jules Leger School for the Deaf here in Ottawa over MBI practices by the administration and their principal who had no experience/knowledge in managing Deaf school and Deaf culture.

My old friend just PM me that "your ex school is in trouble". It's so sad to see my old two schools that are in trouble. =? I saw the lists and my two old schools are in there.

They are all in trouble there in NY, all 11 schools. Hope Dr. Mowl and others can convince Cuomo of an acceptable alternative but in this economic climate, every group feels like they are being used as a political football....

They are all in trouble there in NY, all 11 schools. Hope Dr. Mowl and others can convince Cuomo of an acceptable alternative but in this economic climate, every group feels like they are being used as a political football....

Yes I know. I thought 11 NY deaf school used to be, now its 9 schools. :hmm:

Yes I know. I thought 11 NY deaf school used to be, now its 9 schools. :hmm:

My understanding from watching some video clips is that there are 8 schools for the deaf and three others for the disabled, all in one group. Something like that....

Let's re fresh my memory

Cleary School for the Deaf (NY)
Lexington School for the Deaf (NY)
Mill Neck Manor School for the Deaf (NY)
New York School for the Deaf – Fanwood (NY)
Rochester School for the Deaf (NY)
St. Francis De Sales School for the Deaf (NY)
St. Joseph’s School for the Deaf (NY)
St. Mary’s School for the Deaf (NY) (Buffalo)
New York State School for the Deaf (Rome)

That's the lists I know for sure. I can't remember the other two that were used to be, and closed during my early teen years. :hmm:

Let's re fresh my memory

Cleary School for the Deaf (NY)
Lexington School for the Deaf (NY)
Mill Neck Manor School for the Deaf (NY)
New York School for the Deaf – Fanwood (NY)
Rochester School for the Deaf (NY)
St. Francis De Sales School for the Deaf (NY)
St. Joseph’s School for the Deaf (NY)
St. Mary’s School for the Deaf (NY) (Buffalo)
New York State School for the Deaf (Rome)

That's the lists I know for sure. I can't remember the other two that were used to be, and closed during my early teen years. :hmm:

I will see if I can find the names of the rest.....any of the schools above in your list are schools for the disabled, not deaf but disabled?

I will see if I can find the names of the rest.....any of the schools above in your list are schools for the disabled, not deaf but disabled?

9 lists are all deaf schools.

what do you mean disabled? you mean hearing kid who is disabled? Not to my knowledges, but i heard that my old school do allow the hearing disabled kid who were born in other country and come to USA. They went to my school for english. :dunno:

9 lists are all deaf schools.

what do you mean disabled? you mean hearing kid who is disabled? Not to my knowledges, but i heard that my old school do allow the hearing disabled kid who were born in other country and come to USA. They went to my school for english. :dunno:

I am beginning to remember a couple of things because I cannot find the info online that I saw before.

The reason there are 8 schools for the deaf is because they are under "4201" schools and "private". Rome is a State-funded school and not under 4201.

By disabled, I mean physical handicapped/health issues but not deaf. The Henry Viscardi School is one of those; then there is one for the blind...can't remember the name. All are under 4201 schools except for Rome.

I am beginning to remember a couple of things because I cannot find the info online that I saw before.

The reason there are 8 schools for the deaf is because they are under "4201" schools and "private". Rome is a State-funded school and not under 4201.

By disabled, I mean physical handicapped/health issues but not deaf. The Henry Viscardi School is one of those; then there is one for the blind...can't remember the name. All are under 4201 schools except for Rome.

Ohh I understand now. It's so interesting that rome, ny is not under 4201. I should ask my friend who went there. Rome ny is only 1 hour away from here.

Ohh I understand now. It's so interesting that rome, ny is not under 4201. I should ask my friend who went there. Rome ny is only 1 hour away from here.

Ok....best wishes to Dr. Mowl, Dave Staehle, Barb DiGiovanni and all others who are trying to convince Cuomo that his proposal will sound the death knell of these 11 schools.

Wow that is bad, I hope they won't close down. Excatly same thing is happening in UK. So many have been closed down last few years, one of famous Deaf school in UK was going to be closed down and council wanted that but as soon Deaf Community heard about it they fought hard to stop it closing and it was even on BBC News once and on mainstream TV Deaf programme See Hear and in end the school was saved and found new place for it.

Wow that is bad, I hope they won't close down. Excatly same thing is happening in UK. So many have been closed down last few years, one of famous Deaf school in UK was going to be closed down and council wanted that but as soon Deaf Community heard about it they fought hard to stop it closing and it was even on BBC News once and on mainstream TV Deaf programme See Hear and in end the school was saved and found new place for it.

So glad to know the school was saved. I saw that programme. Good for Deaf Awareness.

The Henry Viscardi School is one of those; then there is one for the blind...can't remember the name.
There's actually TWO blind schools. NY State School for the Blind and Lavelle School for the Blind in the Bronx. Both tend to serve multihandicapped kids, but then again that's true for most blind schools.
I think they need to OPEN enrollment to kids who are audilogically hoh. It makes no sense that only profound kids are allowed to go to deaf school. The just profound population is very small.

Back