Acer Aspire's Hard Drive!

purplecatty

Reaction score
Just today,

I was using laptop today and at the same time, my wife wanted to borrow laptop for short second to check bank statement briefly then returned it to me. As soon I was going to run a browser (she accidently closed it) and it won't respond :confused:. So I clicked Start menu and it won't do anything. I can see hdd light stay lit :confused:. So I decide to reboot assuming that it just locked up. After rebooting, the hdd light lit on but not blinking and 30 seconds later, the white bar on bottom began to fill 1/3 way and stopped there. Error message say that cannot find vga.xx file and "You can use CD to repair Windows, press R for repair. I hit "r" and it rebooted and still not working. :eek2:

Apparently, 3 years old hdd going to die soon. I told my wife that hdd is shot.

On second thought, I might have boot sector virus because CA Internet Security suite icon showed red (x) on shield today. I decide to "secure it" assuming that it needed to be updated and scanned. Spyware been scanned and cleaned then switch to Antivirus and scanned then that's when laptop hdd went kaput. I am not sure if hdd itself or boot sector virus so I will plan to repair it using XP CD and restore mbr.

I planned to put it in freezer for short time (I learned from one AD blogger who did it last year). Then see if I can try rescue it. If not then I would try use special adapter and plug it into PC's Secondary IDE and copy if it works.

I planned to buy new 2.5 IDE hdd soon locally, maybe Microcenter. I probably would want either 7200 rpm or 5400 rpm (the first would be better :lol:) and reinstall XP.

Catty

I just bought 120gb Western Digital 2.5 hdd for $59.00 also bought a USB to IDE/SATA drive adapter. My laptop is currently installing fresh XP using Acer Recovery DVD. Luckily it works great.

As for USB to IDE/SATA adapter, I realize that I bought a wrong one. It's for backup, not act like "drive". My PC recognized as a drive but in "My Computer", it doesn't show up as a drive. I'm going to exchange it to the one that allow CD/DVD/HDD drive as a bootable or drive show up in My Computer window.

I hope new hdd is fast. It's 5400 rpm, don't have 7200 rpm drive at Microcenter. So what the heck and go for it since my lappy is not 100% compatible with Linux.

I hope I could get a new laptop or netbook so I can give it to kids to use lol

Catty

Now hdd is installed and ran smooth and much faster than my previous drive!

sheesh!

Catty

Nothing do with RPM. It's about cache size for speed up.

32mb cache at 5200rpm is FASTER than 8mb cache at 7200rpm.

SSD is zero rpm and insult faster than HDD. hehehe.

I have a 16MB cach lappy HD it's good drive it's Toshiba 40GB 5400 RPM.. Been using Toshiba drive for 5 years now.

The Hitachi 40 GB not good it's short life ("Clacking" noise then HD death)(3 years) before I bought Toshiba drive.

Nothing do with RPM. It's about cache size for speed up.

32mb cache at 5200rpm is FASTER than 8mb cache at 7200rpm.

SSD is zero rpm and insult faster than HDD. hehehe.

my hdd have 8mb cache at 5400 rpm.. It ran little better than it's original one. :ugh:

I would LOVE to have SSD! but $$$

Catty

my hdd have 8mb cache at 5400 rpm.. It ran little better than it's original one. :ugh:

I would LOVE to have SSD! but $$$

Catty

I am sure your old HD is very low cache or rpm than new hdd. Let find out how much cache and rpm you had. :)

I am sure your old HD is very low cache or rpm than new hdd. Let find out how much cache and rpm you had. :)

I just spotted 40gb hdd which have 16mb cache and 5400rpm at local computer shop while I was browsing online. :hmm: It's too late for me to refund new 120gb with 8mb cache and 5400rpm. I was looking for local computer shops and stores to see if they carry SD to 44pin IDE adapter. They don't have em' locally except Compact Flash to 40pins IDE.

I posted on thread "Linux Distro for old Dell Laptop" -->> http://www.alldeaf.com/computers-el...ux-distro-recommendation-old-dell-laptop.html and look at Post #8 about SD to IDE adapter that came up in my mind. I am going to order one and try out on my old Dell laptop.

Oh well!! :roll:

Catty

Back