Accused of Using HOH-ness for Revenge?? WTF?

CareyJay

Reaction score
I have a very rocky relationship with my fraternity. I get along great with other chapters and most of the alumni of my chapter, but went inactive from the undergraduate chapter last semester because of a combination of reasons. There are a number of undergraduate and recent graduate brothers who are very angry at me for it. This weekend I found out what they've been telling people about it, and I'm shocked, horrified, hurt, you name it.

What they're telling people:
A lot of offensive and straight up false things about not taking brotherhood seriously, and then the kicker: They're claiming that I'm going around telling people that I left because they discriminated against me for being HOH. Which it never crossed my mind to say, because it isn't true.

What actually happened (and I've been completely open about telling people):
I was holding five offices simultaneously. I was campaigning for my upcoming run for chapter president. I was already basically doing the president's job because he was depressed and not doing anything unless prodded through it step by step. Some (mostly) non-fraternity-related shit hit the fan from a couple different directions, and I couldn't juggle all of that so I told them that I had to take a step away and give priority to sorting out the stuff that would allow me to stay in school, which they considered a betrayal and set off a lot of shouting.

The claim that I'd lie and say I'm being discriminated against for the sake of revenge? What. The. Fricking. Frick. I am blown away. I have never seen or heard that one before and am really in shock that they did that. They were not discriminating against me before, not that I noticed anyway, but I've been a brother long enough to see how they handled other people who left on unfriendly terms and I feel like they would not have dared spread that around had they not thought that because of communication complexities I would not catch on until their version was well enough established for people to believe them over me. So I really don't know what to think or feel, except that that accusation was the most underhanded thing I've ever seen.

Just out of curiosity, as I'm hoh, too, why come here and explain your story here out of the blue? I'm sure it's something ADers can discuss with you about your frat story.

Back