Abused as a child, isolated as an adult

shpanky

Reaction score
I have been hearing disabled my entire life. I have a bordering-severed hearing loss that has required me to wear hearing aids since i was 6 years old.

I was fortunate that my dad was in the military and that they'd cover my hearing aids and that, coupled with speech therapy, allowed me to pass as somewhat normal in mainstream schools. When I was little, I did take a few sign classes, but my parents never kept up with any of that and honestly, my mom never made me wear my hearing aids. I lived a LOT of my childhood in silence and isolation.

I was also terribly teased and attacked by the other kids. Because I had these big hearing aids in my ears, I was an easy target. They'd pick on me, try to start a fight, punch me in my ears to try to break my hearing aids, or just completely ignore me altogether. I had a couple friends in Junior High and maybe a handful in High School, but I wasn't ever very popular and I spent a lot of time alone, reading books, playing video games, etc...I was fortunate that I excelled in school and could just read the books to get good grades. That allowed me to go to a pretty advanced college where things really started to fall apart.

My family was never sensitive to my hearing. I was always accused of selective hearing, not paying close enough attention, but when i was a kid, the hearing aids offered weren't very good. There was a misconception for the longest time that these things corrected your hearing. But they don't, not really, and with a total lack of resources to help me to communicate with others (no ASL classes, no others with hearing problems to talk to, etc...), I was pretty much cast as an outsider.

Now, well into my adulthood, having worked about 15 years out of college, I came to the recent conclusion that a lot of my loneliness, isolation, and depression is at least partially a result of denying that my hearing disability is a "problem." I grew up being ashamed of it, fighting it tooth and nail, not willing to use it as an excuse for anything. In a word, I was pretty bullheaded.

But what I found as an adult, working in a highly competitive creative industry, is that the same bullies are there...taking advantage of my hearing, or accusing me of not paying attention, not listening, and this has resulted in numerous layoffs. I've struggled terribly through adulthood, not really wanting to go to loud noisy areas because they just weren't fun (like bars and such).

So that means I've spent almost my entire life single. I never thought it would be like this. i thought I'd be normal like everyone else. When I realized at 23 I was gay, that was a big blow to my self-worth, on top of the disability.

Recently, I've yet again gotten into a situation at work where a miscommunication was used to bully me. I was brought into a room with two directors in the company over a miscommunication and a mistake made by one of the directors. They both proceeded to attack me, accusing me of lying and attempting to create a toxic environment in the department I'm in. I live constantly in fear that if I miss something it might cost me my job. I've only been here 6 weeks now and I've been threatened that this wasn't a fit twice now. My hearing was called out as a specific issue and the other issues brought up were all very much a result of people speaking too fast, talking too softly and when I'd ask them to repeat themselves, they'd get annoyed with me, making me feel ashamed of asking anything again if I didn't get it a second time.

When I applied for this job, they asked me what my greatest weakness was. And I said it was my hearing. I don't always get everything, and I may misperceive what's being said. I said the best way for me to understand what people need is to look at me, speak loudly, clearly and slowly, and let me acknowledge what was requested. They hired me.

I'm almost 40 and I'm so alone, and ashamed of myself. I've always been aware that my hearing was a challenge, but I never realized how my quality of life was severely impacted by it. I don't really go to work for fun anymore. I g to make money so I can pay my bills and go home to go to bed so I can go back to work again. I don't have many hobbies anymore, I tend to just zone out and watch tv or read something or go on the internet.

I never reached out to the hearing disabled community because I'm not fully deaf and don't know sign language. I'm also ashamed to say that I didn't want to be perceived as "one of them" though I realize now people have been taking advantage of my disability when all I ever wanted to do was make others happy with the work I'd done.

I've seen therapists over the years but it was never brought up. Instead my childhood abuse (a whole other story) was the focus, but no resolution or improvement in my moods really happened.

I've lost so many friends and so many jobs because I denied this was a problem. I finally stuck up for myself this week and brought HR in over the situation. I was so scared to do it. I couldn't sleep at all the night I was attacked (yet again). When I finally got to talk to the HR person, I couldn't stop crying. Even now when i think about it...when i think about how those kids used to beat me up because I was the weak one. How coworkers and managers have ignored me, refused to share information, or perceived me as somehow less a valuable member of the company, it makes me so sad. All I've ever wanted is for someone to appreciate me. But everyone is so competitive these days, they look at me as an obstacle they can easily beat down using my hearing as a tool.

I'm really not trying to blame all my troubles on that. I hate the idea of using my hearing as an excuse for these situations. But it would be foolish of me to deny that it isn't a major factor in my life. Nobody ever promotes someone with a disability, certainly not someone who can't function without hearing aids.

I really wish I could find a career where I can feel like I'm not constantly on edge, watching my back, afraid I missed something or that I made a mistake. Nobody has ever mentored me or guided me in anything. I've only ever been admonished for issues that 100% of the time were a result of my hearing loss.

Sorry, i've gone on a really long time...but if you're still reading, can any of you tell me what your quality of life has been like? Especially for those of you who haven't exactly had the resources available to you to be able to communicate with others very well? Is this depression, constant anxiety, isolation, a common issue among people with a hearing disability? Or am I just imagining all this and using my loss as an excuse? I just want to find some answer. Thanks.

Hi Shpanky,
It sucks that you have lead such a hard life. I too was picked on in grade school because I had a trifecta of hearing loss, being very smart/always got good grades, and not being very strong. I was lucky and got into a boarding school for the latter half of high school and it was a world of difference. I have learned to try to avoid the bully type people as best I can (it doesn't always work).

As for the feelings of depression; anxiety; and isolation, these are very common problems in the world of deaf/hard of hearing. I experience these feelings very often. It is very hard to overcome these feelings. You are on the right path by starting to accept your hearing loss. Now you need to do something about it.

1. For work situations, when my hearing is really bad, I request all communication in the form of text. If people come to my office and ask me a question, I have them write it down. If they need to have a full 1:1 conversation, I ask them to bring their laptop and have them talk to me through Lync Communicator (Microsoft's instant message program) and then I can speak back in these situations and it minimizes the speed impact of having them write everything down. Not everyone will like to do this but they will realize that you will have far less miscommunications when you aren't having to try to hear. Also always carry a pad of paper or tablet computer with you to aid in this.

For meetings, I have them remote captioned (CART). THIS IS A HUGE LIFESAVER. I can follow along in meetings again and really relieves the anxiety and stress you experience during meetings and you'll find that you are less tired at the end of the day. I would talk to HR about this and they can direct you to the right person/people if the company is big enough. If it is not big enough they still may be required by law to provide CART access for meetings.

2. Start learning ASL. Take night classes at a local college/community college. My hearing got much worse a couple of months ago and I'm starting ASL classes at the end of this month. This can become a new hobby and will prove to be a lot less stressful after a while since you will not have to try to hear in order to communicate with your classmates. Definitely look into this. Once you get better at it, you can request an ASL interpreter instead of CART although this may take years (I don't know yet).

3. It might be worth looking into cochlear implants. They aren't for everyone but I would at least look into them if I were you. I sadly don't yet qualify even though I want to implant my completely deaf ear. I'm about 10-20 dB away in my "good" ear from qualifying :(

shpanky, your experiance is sadly very very common. I wish SO badly those fucking auditory verbalists could experiance what we oral only and mainstreamed kids go through. I STILL think they enjoy brushing things under the rug about the social aspects of being mainstreamed....it is the world's biggest myth that only severe-profound, or profound kids are deaf enough to be ASL Deaf.
They also don't understand that denying Deaf stuff to dhh kids isn't going to magically make them a part of the hearing world.
Is there any chance you could go back to school, like to Gally or Rit or CSUN for grad school? You could discover ASL and finally fit in and have real friends and be a part of a real vibrant community!

I'm sorry that things have been so rough for you. I think it might do your soul some good to go and see a therapist/counselor who can help you sort through your feelings and experiences. I think it could make a world of difference for you. Change starts from within, and I think if you could learn to love and appreciate the person that you are- rather than focus on what you aren't- you'll start to feel better about yourself and in turn start having better experiences with the world.

Thanks for the kind words. I've been having a really difficult time this past week dealing with this. It's just been yet another challenge and it gets exhausting sometimes.

I have been in therapy before and take some medication to help with the depression and anxiety. It's been a while since I've spoken with someone though...I reached out to a therapist today to talk about it, but it's very expensive and he doesn't go through my insurance. I'll probably start looking through my provider to find other options.

I thought about taking ASL classes a couple times. As for school, I'm not sure I can go through that again. It was very difficult for me to get through and it's been 15 years since I've been out of college...not sure I'd be able to get into a program. I don't know, we'll see how things go but thank you all for the kind words and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

shpanky,this is awful your work place,i old woman and over years had some problems but my working collegues were usually educated to talk and communicate with me.i lucky in that my friends knew me when i was hearing and 3of them learn bsl when i went deaf.
surely you got legal help.. in uk we got disability laws and no be treated like that, not to say it don't happen it do.have you got union that you can go to...don't let the basteds get better of you try be strong,they ignorent people who doing this and need be shown error of there ways

I thought about taking ASL classes a couple times. As for school, I'm not sure I can go through that again. It was very difficult for me to get through and it's been 15 years since I've been out of college...not sure I'd be able to get into a program. I don't know, we'll see how things go but thank you all for the kind words and suggestions. I really appreciate it.

shpanky, that's b/c you went through a hearing program. If you went to Gally or ntid or csun your experiance would be SO different...you'd learn ASL and have access to dhh accomondations etc.

I defiantly understand the work stress. I don't get told when there's a meeting,supervisor talks behind me and gets mad when I tell him I can't hear you! ,I've gotten made fun of by coworkers and supervisor,tapped on head with paper ( apparently I am a dog) mints chucked at me. When I complained I was told I'm to sensitive and put me on probation for unreal miskeys. Etc. This isn't first time I had a hr women make fun of my voice,saying how weird my voice sounds then fired me,voc rehab talked to them. Still had no job but had unemployment and hr lady ripped a new one lol I blame where I work their all catty office people. Hopefully when I get time (constant dr.s right now) I will go back to school.
Im thinking of bringing recorder to work then have my husband listen to it for me. I've been nervous about learning ASL as well ,I'm worried I won't catch on cause I won't be able to hear the teacher lol silly I know,they should be patent most are interpreters as well as teachers. I'm not that much younger I'm 36 and school is a bit scary. But I'm going to do it! :) xxxxx hope things get better for you xxxxxx Keep your head up ;0)

Such a sad story :(

Where do you live? There are probably resources near you.. And there ARE people like you, who grow up ashamed of their hearing loss and desperately want to fix it but obviously can't. Those people find solace and happiness in the Deaf community.. I swear to you, they do. We hear about it all the time! You did good by making this (first) step and you have a long way to go but there is a light at the end of the tunnel, so to speak. :)

Hugs.

Boobookitty, very little speaking goes on in an ASL class. I'm hearing, and we were all expected to be voice off within 2/3 weeks (twice a week class). A Deaf instructor is best, if you have a choice.

Okay , I just figured it would be have talking at first. I'm always nervous something new and can't hear at all when there's noise. I'll call MersGoodwill their counselor here is super nice and would know of a class with a Deaf instructor.

Back