Abuse claims at N.C. School for the Deaf

How intense was your gym class??? we just stood around and watched a couple guys play basketball and gossiped. At my husband's school he took bowling, no shower there either.

I had to rinse occasionally if there were a lot of physical activities involved, but for some, they have to on a daily basis. I always had to clean myself off though.

At some schools, it can be quite intense.

shel, my experience in terms of the sports and the showers <and time frame> was like yours - although I was one of the kids who WAS physically different ,in addition to having un-diagnosed LD - and therefore had a hellish time. But yeah, showering and various physical activities were required unless you had a medical excuse or your period. We went through several sets of trying different sports, team sports and things like golf and martial arts. Team sports I never understood and had issues processing information in general, but messing up in something like golf or karate was ok cuz there were no teams. We had lockers - another problem for me with the combo locks - and everything.

but I agree with another poster about the PR fallout from this at the NC school-

We actually didn't HAVE to shower, but we did have showers in case anyone wanted to shower. But we didn't sweat enough in PE (all of our activities were inside a VERY cold gym). We had options to play volleyball, basketball or dodgeball. I just remember playing HORSE (basketball) with a few others. That barely broke a sweat. So most people didn't bother to shower.

Faire_joure, it does happen at mainstream schools. The gym teacher who turned out to be a child molester (although with girls) at the jr high I attended was known for staring at the boys while they showered after gym classes.

there was a situation at my elementary school where that happened <sexual abuse or in-appropriate touching/behavior by teacher to student>

I chatted with my fraternity brother who works at NCSD in Morgantown about this situation several days ago.

He said there were nothing wrong with the teachers and dorm supervisors and the real problems were the administration people.

Some teachers and dorm counsellors reported incidents about the students' behaviors to the administration. Then they noticed that the students went unpunished afterwards. Also they found out that their incident reports along with my fraternity brother's were SHREDDED by Ms. McDaniels, so they decided to take actions against them.

He said there were nothing wrong with the teachers and dorm supervisors and the real problems were the administration people.
Yeah, a lot of stuff like this happens in mainstream schools or "perfect suburbs" but it's generally covered up by the administrations or whatever. Pisses me off. There are problems ALL over, and Deaf Schools don't have a headlock on dysfunctionality.

I find something seriously wrong with arguments that say "Well, THEY do it too!" or "It happens over there, too!"

How would you feel if a rapist defended himself "Hey, that's not fair, a lot of guys in my neighborhood do it too!"

This is a serious issue, man.

I find something seriously wrong with arguments that say "Well, THEY do it too!" or "It happens over there, too!"

How would you feel if a rapist defended himself "Hey, that's not fair, a lot of guys in my neighborhood do it too!"

This is a serious issue, man.

I think they were trying to point out that the alleged abuse at the NC school for the deaf isn't an isolated thing. In other words, it can happen at ANY schools.

It shouldn't happen at ANY school.

Ditto. It happens EVERYWHERE!!!! It's not just a deaf thing. Stuff like this happens every where, but it is covered up. We're not condoning it. Heck, this might be a good wake up call to reform shoddy polices. I just hate how this artcle is anti "instutional" This isn't Willowbrook.....AND this sort of stuff happens in the mainstream ALL the time!

Back