ABR Test?

AMazieLN

Reaction score
Had my CI/BAHA evaluation yesterday. Dr. ordered a CT and an ABR. He's looking to rule out nerve problems in order to pursue surgically repairing my ossicles, instead of CI. Anyone have experience with this? What kind of ABR result would point him towards repair surgery, and what result would point him to a CI/BAHA? Thanks everyone...

trust me, it'll be easy, I've been through the ABR a bunch of times but good luck with it!!!

Why are people now calling the BAHA a CI? It's NOT a CI....it was just manufactured and sold by Coachler. A CI and a BAHA are two completely different things.

Why are people now calling the BAHA a CI? It's NOT a CI....it was just manufactured and sold by Coachler. A CI and a BAHA are two completely different things.

yeah besides they're different from each other. and she's getting evaluated to see if she's a candidate for a CI or a Baha.

yeah besides they're different from each other. and she's getting evaluated to see if she's a candidate for a CI or a Baha.

You can't be eligable for both at the same time, that's the thing. She mentioned ossicles so obviously she has a conductive loss.......

That's why she's going for evaluation.. to find out which device might benefit her better (or whichever one she's a better candidate for). Some people do have both types of hearing loss at the same time. Can't remember if Amazie said she has both types of losses or not. But yeah, right now still unknown if she's a candidate for either device, hence the evaluations and needing further testing. She KNOWS a BAHA and a CI are different types of devices.

That's why she's going for evaluation.. to find out which device might benefit her better (or whichever one she's a better candidate for). Some people do have both types of hearing loss at the same time. Can't remember if Amazie said she has both types of losses or not. But yeah, right now still unknown if she's a candidate for either device, hence the evaluations and needing further testing. She KNOWS a BAHA and a CI are different types of devices.

Thank-you! Yes, looking to find out whether a CI or BAHA will help me better. My air conduction average is 92dB, but my bone conduction average is 36. So, since my bone conduction is not in the "normal" range, then I have some sensorial loss on top of my conductive loss (which is damage to my ossicles from a head injury). In 1998, when I had my ossicle repair surgery, they didn't have the technology or prosthetics they do now, so he thinks he could repair them better enough to give me some hearing in my deaf ear. If that works, he will try on my severe/profound ear. But he needs to see what my ABR is, and get a CT to see what my ossicles look like, before he decides.

Yes, my loss is mixed, as you would be able to tell by looking at my siggy before ranting at me! Geez...

Last edited:
Wirelessly posted (Blackberry Bold )

Have you tried the non-surgical version of the BAHA ? It's worn on the head with a specical headband.

I'd think if you had 35Db bone conduction that would make you a BAHA candidate and prohibate CI (because BAHA is classed as a hearing aid, and you have to have significantly poorer "aided" scores than you'd have with BAHA).

Personally, I'd start with the trial BAHA, then if that helps go with the surgical BAHA for now ... I think you'd have just as good a result, if not better.

Thanks Anij, that's what I was thinking, didn't hear Audi's opinion on whether I was CI or BAHA candidate as he was stuck on the surgery thing lol.

whoops, sorry *where's the foot in mouth smiley?"
In my defense I am on a listserv where a lot of the parents call the BAHA a coachlear implant.
I would assume that the BAHA isn't powerful enough.....the BAHA is for HOH style losses.....but I do agree with Anji... you could try it on the softband.

Thanks Anij, that's what I was thinking, didn't hear Audi's opinion on whether I was CI or BAHA candidate as he was stuck on the surgery thing lol.

BTW - of the options you listed as possibles, one is CROS ... In your case you'd need BiCROS at the very least, and frankly (having done a lot of research myself) I think it's a total waste of time for you.

CROS and BiCROS are really meant for people who have SSD (Single Sided Deafness, or SSD with very mild hearing loss on other side). Even for those with SSD, it's mainly beneficial for those who had bilateral normal hearing and then lost one side due to trauma/illness etc. as teens or adults.

Based on your numbers there's no way you'd actually be able to be fitted for a BiCROS at any rate - you'd need to have less than 40db SNHL on one side to even be considered as a BiCROS candidate.

(At least it's one thing you can cross off your list)

Also - I'd strongly recommend getting a referral to an Audiologist who specializes in both BAHA and CI and be assessed by them directly. Not all Audies are familiar with, or work with BAHA or CI as part of their everyday practice. You'll want to talk with an Audie who has many many clients who have BAHAs and CIs not only so that you can have you're questions answered accurately, but also because once you decide on one, you'll need to see someone skilled in doing adjustments to the processor.

Theres a BAHA for a mixed severe hearing loss called a cordelle II.

BTW - of the options you listed as possibles, one is CROS ... In your case you'd need BiCROS at the very least, and frankly (having done a lot of research myself) I think it's a total waste of time for you.

CROS and BiCROS are really meant for people who have SSD (Single Sided Deafness, or SSD with very mild hearing loss on other side). Even for those with SSD, it's mainly beneficial for those who had bilateral normal hearing and then lost one side due to trauma/illness etc. as teens or adults.

Based on your numbers there's no way you'd actually be able to be fitted for a BiCROS at any rate - you'd need to have less than 40db SNHL on one side to even be considered as a BiCROS candidate.

(At least it's one thing you can cross off your list)

Also - I'd strongly recommend getting a referral to an Audiologist who specializes in both BAHA and CI and be assessed by them directly. Not all Audies are familiar with, or work with BAHA or CI as part of their everyday practice. You'll want to talk with an Audie who has many many clients who have BAHAs and CIs not only so that you can have you're questions answered accurately, but also because once you decide on one, you'll need to see someone skilled in doing adjustments to the processor.

Thanks. I do know I'd need a BiCROS. I'm already wearing a CROS-compatible Naida in my good ear, in case putting a CROS on the other side is what happens. And PP is correct, for my loss I'd be fitted with the Cordelle II.

I have a regular Audi. The person I'm seeing for my deaf ear is at House Ear Clinic in LA, very highly regarded and well known. I think they've got me covered lol.

If the surgery doesn't happen, with the Cordelle II, you would come away with something, either CI, BAHA ear level processor or a cordelle II. I would be very surprised if they said nothing would work.

Wish you well with the investigation :)

And PP is correct, for my loss I'd be fitted with the Cordelle II.

I have a regular Audi. The person I'm seeing for my deaf ear is at House Ear Clinic in LA, very highly regarded and well known. I think they've got me covered lol.
LOL hence, the confusion....... when people say BAHA, they usually mean the one for pure conductive loss. I don't think the Cordelle is offered too much. It's awesome you're at House. ... They know of ALL the options etc....

LOL hence, the confusion....... when people say BAHA, they usually mean the one for pure conductive loss. I don't think the Cordelle is offered too much. It's awesome you're at House. ... They know of ALL the options etc....

It's only offered when you are right in the middle problem area, where CI won't work as cochlea working too well and your air/ bone gap is too big for a normal BAHA.

My friend was in that position but she's happy with the cordelle. It's much easier device to wear now as the mic is in the headpiece now (old one wasn't) so she clips the battery back on the back of her bra!! Seems strange but it works and keeps it out the way.

It's only offered when you are right in the middle problem area, where CI won't work as cochlea working too well and your air/ bone gap is too big for a normal BAHA.

My friend was in that position but she's happy with the cordelle. It's much easier device to wear now as the mic is in the headpiece now (old one wasn't) so she clips the battery back on the back of her bra!! Seems strange but it works and keeps it out the way.

LOL that's the same thing I would do to get my corded ear gear on but thanks for your friend's tip! I may go do that when I go golfing on Thursday!!!

yes, i know....its only offered in unusual situtions.

I actually found some information online from my insurance company. It states which BAHA you will be fitted with, based on your BONE conduction tests. This is a copy and paste:

1. Unilateral implant: Conductive or mixed (conductive and sensorineural) hearing loss with pure tone average bone conduction threshold (measured at 0.5, 1, 2, and 3 kHz) less than or equal to 45 dB HL (BAHA Divino, BAHA BP100), 55 dB HL (BAHA Intenso) or 65 dB HL (BAHA Cordelle II).
  2. Bilateral implant: Moderate to severe bilateral symmetric conductive or mixed (conductive and sensorineural) hearing loss, meeting above-listed bone conduction thresholds in both ears. Symmetric bone conduction threshold is defined as less than:
    1. 10 dB average (measured at 0.5, 1, 2 and 4 kHz) or less than 15 dB at individual frequencies (BAHA Divino, BAHA BP100); or
    2. 10 dB average difference between ears (measured at 0.5, 1, 2, and 3 kHz), or less than a 15 dB difference at individual frequencies (BAHA Cordelle II, BAHA Intenso).
So I won't know which one I'll be fitted with until I get bone conduction results for my left ear. My Audi didn't test that ear for bone conduction for some reason.

Back