About the Deaflympics

Alex

Administrator
Staff Member
Reaction score
During the 12 days of the 20th Summer Deaflympic Games in January, more than 3,000 deaf and hard-of-hearing athletes from 80 nations will compete in 15 individual and team sports.

The International Olympic Committee sanctions the Deaflym-pics, which is the second-oldest multisport gathering in the world, with the Olympics being the oldest. The Deaf-lympics began as The Silent Games in Paris in 1924. The name Deaf-lympics was adopted in 2001 by the International Committee of Sports for the Deaf.

The only differences between the Olympics and the Deaflympics are that an athlete must have at least 55 decibels of hearing loss in his or her better ear to compete and that visual cues such as colored lights are used to start competitions.

According to the Deaflympics organization, deaf athletes do not compete in the Paralympics because they see themselves as a-linguistic and cultural minority rather than disabled and because they are physically able to compete in any sport without restrictions other than communication.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/heraldleader/living/community/9934305.htm

Mean joke?

There's a joke in the show "Family Guy" where they are having a "special Olympics".

During a panning shot, they announce,

"There's the wheelchair team, the blind team, hmm, no sign of the deaf team"

and then it cuts to a hotel room with 4 or 5 people all asleep snoring while people knock on the door saying "Hello?" and many alarm buzzers going off.

I'd like to know who thinks that is mean and who thinks that is funny.

There's a joke in the show "Family Guy" where they are having a "special Olympics".

During a panning shot, they announce,

"There's the wheelchair team, the blind team, hmm, no sign of the deaf team"

and then it cuts to a hotel room with 4 or 5 people all asleep snoring while people knock on the door saying "Hello?" and many alarm buzzers going off.

I'd like to know who thinks that is mean and who thinks that is funny.

Funny!

I am not offence, what about the rest of you?

hehehe...that's funny! :lol: I don't think it's offensive at all. If anyone who DOES find it offensive...they're the one who don't have a sense of humour!

3 French deaf persons in australia

hello we are 3 French deaf persons we will be A Sydney and melbourne on December-17 28 January 2005 in Australia :cheers:

Alex said:
During the 12 days of the 20th Summer Deaflympic Games in January, more than 3,000 deaf and hard-of-hearing athletes from 80 nations will compete in 15 individual and team sports.

The International Olympic Committee sanctions the Deaflym-pics, which is the second-oldest multisport gathering in the world, with the Olympics being the oldest. The Deaf-lympics began as The Silent Games in Paris in 1924. The name Deaf-lympics was adopted in 2001 by the International Committee of Sports for the Deaf.

The only differences between the Olympics and the Deaflympics are that an athlete must have at least 55 decibels of hearing loss in his or her better ear to compete and that visual cues such as colored lights are used to start competitions.

According to the Deaflympics organization, deaf athletes do not compete in the Paralympics because they see themselves as a-linguistic and cultural minority rather than disabled and because they are physically able to compete in any sport without restrictions other than communication.

http://www.kentucky.com/mld/heraldleader/living/community/9934305.htm

metisportif said:
hello we are 3 French deaf persons we will be A Sydney and melbourne on December-17 28 January 2005 in Australia :cheers:

Hello!

You hadn't indicated whether all three of you are participating in the competitions or being there as spectators....If you three or any one of you will be competing, wishing you the very best and good luck! Otherwise, hopefully this event will have lasting memories you'll be able to share with others abroad!

By the way, welcome to Alldeaf!! :)

I thot it was funny too-------just as I also thot this was funny: Picture a skeleton of a beggar with a tin cup in one hand and with his now-skeletal finger of the other hand on the doorbell of a building at a school for the deaf! :giggle:

I competed in WGD97 - I was on the bowling team. :) That was quite an experience. It was held in Copenhagen, Denmark. Can you spot me in the photos below? ;)

Anyway - most of the athletes brought their own vibrating alarm clocks... ;) Me, included...or there was one in every room one way or another, so that none of us missed any events...LOL. *snicker*

Attachments

• USAGIRLS.JPG
    USAGIRLS.JPG
    11.3 KB · Views: 6
  • USAPIC.JPG
    USAPIC.JPG
    14.1 KB · Views: 6
Hey...can hardly wait til January to see friends and meet new ones as well. :)

Malfy -- I know one of your bowling league teammates! JoDee!

She and I bowled a few times for fun and in leagues in the San Jose/Mountain View areas. ;)

Back