a VRS opertor tried to steal our main IP from my 11 year old son

mrdel

Reaction score
I am hearing and dont understand much ASL. My son, who is 11, is deaf an uses Sorenson VRS to call his friends. One day he was on the phone with what seemed to be a sorenson operator so I thought nothing of it. My son told me she was giving out a new free phone. I decided to go to the sorenson web page to get more info on the phone. Thier web site had no information on a new phone. I thought that was a bit puzzling. The dark colored curly haired operator then gave a website to get phone info. I went to the given website and it looked like a compeditor. I then had my son ask the lady who she worked for. All she would reply is that she was with the company. Would not say wich company. Then my son asked me what an IP is. I did not like where this call was going. The lady then started holding up cue cards with pictures of the Sorenson VRS menus. They highlighted where to click to get the public IP adress. I made my son end the call at that point.

For those that do not know the IP adress listed as public IP is the main IP adress for you connection to the internet. Giving out that number would put any system at risk that is on that internet connection. There is no telling why they wanted that number. Giving that number is like saying "Here is where I live, Come tear it up" There is no reason any company would want that number unless it is for malicious intent.

I did call Sorenson by they only recomended I complain to the FCC. I told them all their users should be warned about this. If anyone falls for it and gives out that number they could put thier computer at risk as well as the VRS phone. This is a serious security risk worse than a virus.

SO then since Sorenson has not warned thier customers yet I will do it. Do not ever give out your IP adress or physical adress to someone you do not know. You own company would already know this information and would not ask it from you. Indeed it is a scam of some sort.

I posted to enlighten those that may have encountered this or may encounter this. I do know what company this lady was with but dont know if it would violate bord policy as it is a Sorenson compeditor.

-Del

oh my god really prevent to children play phone to contact to people. that's not good play games. I told you must to permission to ask to talk to mom and dad. You should authority permission to 18 yrs old over parents safe. don't be play games phone to free soreson. because virus on people don't like soreson. be careful be happy don't worry :wave:

I am hearing and dont understand much ASL. My son, who is 11, is deaf an uses Sorenson VRS to call his friends. One day he was on the phone with what seemed to be a sorenson operator so I thought nothing of it. My son told me she was giving out a new free phone. I decided to go to the sorenson web page to get more info on the phone. Thier web site had no information on a new phone. I thought that was a bit puzzling. The dark colored curly haired operator then gave a website to get phone info. I went to the given website and it looked like a compeditor. I then had my son ask the lady who she worked for. All she would reply is that she was with the company. Would not say wich company. Then my son asked me what an IP is. I did not like where this call was going. The lady then started holding up cue cards with pictures of the Sorenson VRS menus. They highlighted where to click to get the public IP adress. I made my son end the call at that point.

For those that do not know the IP adress listed as public IP is the main IP adress for you connection to the internet. Giving out that number would put any system at risk that is on that internet connection. There is no telling why they wanted that number. Giving that number is like saying "Here is where I live, Come tear it up" There is no reason any company would want that number unless it is for malicious intent.

I did call Sorenson by they only recomended I complain to the FCC. I told them all their users should be warned about this. If anyone falls for it and gives out that number they could put thier computer at risk as well as the VRS phone. This is a serious security risk worse than a virus.

SO then since Sorenson has not warned thier customers yet I will do it. Do not ever give out your IP adress or physical adress to someone you do not know. You own company would already know this information and would not ask it from you. Indeed it is a scam of some sort.

I posted to enlighten those that may have encountered this or may encounter this. I do know what company this lady was with but dont know if it would violate bord policy as it is a Sorenson compeditor.

-Del

Ask your son if the he get an Operator ID number like as VRS Oper xxxx, yes it's real company.. or didn't get operator ID number, then it's a scammer alert.

Never trust *without* Operator's ID number. hence it's an hacker or scammer.

Scary. We have to be like hawks watching our kids these days.

There was no operator ID number present on the TV. Just a phone number and a name. I gave Sorenson that information. Here is what puzzles me. My son got a new 866 number last week. How did this company find him so fast? That would suggest that all the phone numbers are publicy accessible somehow. There must be a directory of some sort. They knew he was a child, afterall it was on VRS. I do not know if this is only an attack against Sorenson. I really dont know how many different VRS carriers there are. They could be going after all of them in a similar fassion. Whatever the case it is hostile and would not come from a commendable company. Still trying to get FCC on the phone.

-Del

This is just to update. I have just got finished with reporting this to the FCC and IC3. FCC directed me to IC3 to file the complaint. Hopefully this will spring an investigation and an attempt made to stop it. I checked my sons missed calls and now there are 8 that show the Caller ID as the company that sprung this. Also the initial caller is trying to get through again. We just simply ignore those calls.

-Del

How about just to block that caller ID so they doesn't have to contact you ever again?

There is no way to block the call unless the sorerson invested it to intall to block the call. That the feature I would like to have on my vp.

How about just to block that caller ID so they doesn't have to contact you ever again?

sorenson havent incorporated this feature in thier firmware on thier vp100/vp200. They should , but havent yet. If they can figure out how to do a call waiting and switch between calls, then they can add in a simple block!

Come on sorenson, wake up !

Calling all AD'ers, its time to send emails to sorenson to the complaint dept at vrscomments. be sure you do this more then once ( it doesnt mean to copy and paste at a later time/date) so our voices would be heard.

If your giving out your IP address you might as well give out your personal information because most folks have financial and private information stored on their computers.

I do however notice that people are getting secondary computers that they never hook up to the internet to store their private information on so as to not have a chance of having that information compromised. When they need it transferred to a web based application such as online banking they do so by using a disk and the information on the disk is never saved to the computer with an internet connection.

The Sorenson Videophones' "public IP" address is needed in order to be called by some other, non-Sorenson videophones, and from computers using webcams. There is nothing dangerous about giving it out, as long as you know who you're giving it out to.

Most people in private homes have dynamic IP addresses nowadays. Giving out the number isn't as dangerous as it might seem. The danger is you have an adult from who knows where asking a kid for this information. The IP address could be used for proper or improper purposes by this person. The thing to do would have been to find out who the person is and what they plan to do with the address.

There ARE legitimate uses for it.

The Sorenson Videophones' "public IP" address is needed in order to be called by some other, non-Sorenson videophones, and from computers using webcams. There is nothing dangerous about giving it out, as long as you know who you're giving it out to.

Most people in private homes have dynamic IP addresses nowadays. Giving out the number isn't as dangerous as it might seem. The danger is you have an adult from who knows where asking a kid for this information. The IP address could be used for proper or improper purposes by this person. The thing to do would have been to find out who the person is and what they plan to do with the address.

There ARE legitimate uses for it.

But there is NO LEGITIMATE REASON for a VRS operator to ask for a person's IP number. That's not a part of their job. A relay op is to refrain from having a one-on-one conversation with the caller (I understand this is difficult sometimes) as the relay operator is to simply translate and relay the message from the deaf caller to the hearing caller.

I would simply ask them why must I give u my IP address? Are there purpose for it? If they just 'hop around' the question. I would tell them not to bother me. I wouldn't care if I gave them my IP address then next few days, my IP address would change automatically on cable (dynamic ip address) so what's the heck.

Catty

I would simply ask them why must I give u my IP address? Are there purpose for it? If they just 'hop around' the question. I would tell them not to bother me. I wouldn't care if I gave them my IP address then next few days, my IP address would change automatically on cable (dynamic ip address) so what's the heck.

Catty

He is kid, he is clueless as he don't know what to deal with reality. There are so many thing we have to be educate to kids.

Freaky feline: While the kiddos may hate it now that we have to keep a close watch on them, they'll later understand once they become adults and have their own kids and think back "So that's why Mom/Dad/other caregiver did this and that, now I understand!" They may even thank you! :)

LOL yes my kids already hate me for hawking them. :giggle:

Back