A very loud bed vibrater...

GraysonPeddie

Eye/Hear/Speech Impaired
Premium Member
Reaction score
Hi. I tried to do a search in AllDeaf with keywords: loud bed vibrater, but I get a message saying that "The following words are either very common, too long, or too short and were not included in your search : bed," so please pardon me for posting such an obvoius question.

How can a bed vibrater be so loud, even when placed between the two matresses (bed)?

I once bought a 120v bed vibrator that is plugged into an Insteon ApplianceLinc which is controlled by Insteon-Compatible Elk M1 Gold (it's got a rule-based engine built into (like turning on the bed vibrater when the fire alarm goes off or when it's 5:30 AM and the bed vibrator turns on for one second) M1 Gold but this is completly out of scope of this thread).

When the bed vibrator is on (I know I shouldn't turn on a bed vibrater via a keypad (shown in SmartHome's website) but I did it just for a quick test), even though it vibrates, the vibrater is very loud, like it has a speaker built-in. Shouldn't a bed vibrater "vibrate" and not produce any sound (okay, I know it mentions "heavy duty" and I didn't know it is very loud since I bought that a couple of years ago)?

In response to your search... 4 letters is the minimum per word in a search. Since you said "loud bed vibrater", "bed" is 3 letters... fail! Even if you left out the word "bed", it would probably still fail since it's "vibrator"... not "vibrater". :thumb:

Anyway, in regards to the noise...

It probably is caused by other factors.

Is the bed frame touching the wall or a piece of furniture?

Is the boxspring (bottom part of the bed) hard or soft (some are hard)?

Is the floor hollow and/or is there anything nearby that's very sensitive or loose that it can shake?

If it's touching the wall, then the mattress vibrating can make the bed frame tap the wall making noises.

If the bottom part of the mattress is hard, it could be like vibrating on wood.

If the floor is hollow, vibrations can be felt further. This leads to nearby objects vibrating. That's probably what's making the noises. For instance, a glass cup or something.

Okay, thanks for telling me about the search feature. When this happens, I can use Google instead (example: site:Deaf Chat | People Deaf Culture - AllDeaf.com loud bed vibrator). But then it'll be a mess trying to sort through the threads as there's no way I can sort by a date.

Anyway, I'm talking about the bed vibrator itself.

I posted this in past about my roomate's home-made bed vibratator. It's somewhat appeared to be a washing machine motor w/ centerfug attached to 1/2 inches 3' by 2' plywood board. It is very powerful and it vib across the room from bed. I awoke and can feel mild vib on waterbed coming across two rooms (bedroom | bathroom | bedroom in apartment. I got up and went to my roomate's room and kicked him to wake him up ( his materess was on floor where bed vib is under bed. And he's heavy sleeper, slept through the "earthquake"). The floor nearby it felt like big powerful sander some sort (bbzzzrrrraaaaaaaaaaaaaakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk {board slapping on floor]). I felt sorry for neighbor under us lol.

Another option, get 12v dc 3,500 watt amplifier input connect to buzzer of clock radio and other end output, 2 of 1,500 watt subwoofer speaker w/ 2 farad capacitors each. Put speaker under bed frame (bolt on it) and it'll vib and loud like dicken lol. Bed moves around like it were a vibarating football game board back in 70's (I used to have those) lol. Would that work?
Lol
Catty

I'll check to see if I had that "bed vibrarator" in blog list that I posted some time ago as reply. If I find it, I'll post the link for ya. I remmy that topic u brought up.
Thanks
Catty

I'll check to see if I had that "bed vibrarator" in blog list that I posted some time ago as reply. If I find it, I'll post the link for ya. I remmy that topic u brought up.
Thanks
Catty

Topic reply seem to be gone! I had it last year and now it's gone. Guess you'll have to do searching tho. I did left reply on your posting year ago with jokes ect about bed vibrator.

Catty

Sound is just vibrating air; when a vibrator moves back and forth quickly (or especially when it moves a membrane like the top of your mattress), it sets up a vibration in the air. So unfortunately, any vibrator is going to make some noise. (Much less than a regular alarm clock, but still. Some.) And some vibrators' moving parts rattle.

Okay, that explains it (and that there's no way to make the bed vibrator quieter while producing vibration)...

Thanks, lsmi.

Purplecatty, your posts doesn't fit well with my thread and you didn't answer why. Sorry.

Put it under your pillow. I put mine under the mattress so that way I can wake up with noise and vibratation.

The noise is so annoyed but help me to wake up in the morning.

i know what youre talking about i have a 120v heavy duty vibrator to wake me up as those little cute vibrators wouldn't do anything when i'm so fast asleep.... Ive burnt out about over 20 of those little things.

I get alot complaints from my "roommates" they're annoyed by it esp. when I wanna hit the snooze button 3-4 times before getting up.

I have the same situtaiton that I gotta figure out how to make it more darn quieter

i know what youre talking about i have a 120v heavy duty vibrator to wake me up as those little cute vibrators wouldn't do anything when i'm so fast asleep.... Ive burnt out about over 20 of those little things.

I get alot complaints from my "roommates" they're annoyed by it esp. when I wanna hit the snooze button 3-4 times before getting up.

I have the same situtaiton that I gotta figure out how to make it more darn quieter

Hahah yes i remember... ;) You left it on during the day by accidents sometime. It was funny too.

Yea sometimes I forgot to turn it off and it will automaticaly turn off in one hour. LOL

Does your alarm clock have the ability to set a timeout between maybe 30 seconds to an hour? I can do that with Elk M1 Gold (that I linked above) although my Elk is just more than an alarm clock as it integrates my bed vibrator into my home automation network.

Back