A Techie Thread About Absolutely Nothing!

Do me a great favor, there are one thing that bugging me. Can you take a pix on the back of the computer where I can see the video cable plugged in, and take pix on the back of the monitor where the video plugged?

Okay - now, I am still thinking about buying a new computer when I have the money.

I also want to try and salvage what I have for now. First thing I want to try is replacing the PSU. Not sure if what I found is the right one or if there is one better.

Here are the specs on my computer:
Acer Support: Aspire X1700 Series Specifications

and from Newegg:

Newegg.com - Computer Hardware, Power Supplies, Power Supplies, 200W - 250W, 220W

Any ideas or suggestions?

Ah, I just pmed you.

I suggest you to test with power supply first to make sure it's good or not.

Newegg.com - Rosewill RTK-PST Digital LCD Power Supply Tester

It's cost only $15 for test your power supply and you can test for any computers in the future.

I always test PSU first if bad then replace it. It's save money and save time. IF PSU's test good then replace new motherboard. What's model of your acer again?

Do me a great favor, there are one thing that bugging me. Can you take a pix on the back of the computer where I can see the video cable plugged in, and take pix on the back of the monitor where the video plugged?

http://gallery.techarena.in/data/513/Acer_Aspire_X1700_Desktop_Back_Panel.jpg

(I found it from google)

Okay - since this "cat & mouse" expedition doesn't seem to be getting me anywhere and everyone here has been so helpful and I hate to keep bugging people, I will be taking the computer into a shop that our contractor suggests. He has never had any problems with their repair work and currently has 4 computers running in his home for 3 people. I will also be planning on buying a Mac as well. When I get this computer fixed and get the Mac, the Mac will be mine and shared with hubby and mother. This one will go to my daughter. She may let son use as well, or he will use the Mac or the netbook.

Thanks again everyone. I think I will go with a suggestion from The Highlander and get the Apple Mini Mac and this flat panel monitor from Newegg. After I get them, I may bug the Mac users for help.

My Acer with Vista got dropped off this morning at a shop close to home that was recommended by quite a few people including a few businesses. After I get the desktop back, then my Acer netbook goes in. Then, I will buy a new computer. I get the new, daughter gets the Acer desktop and son already has the netbook.

My Acer with Vista got dropped off this morning at a shop close to home that was recommended by quite a few people including a few businesses. After I get the desktop back, then my Acer netbook goes in. Then, I will buy a new computer. I get the new, daughter gets the Acer desktop and son already has the netbook.

Let me know what's cause BSOD.

I bought playstation 3 about a month ago its brand new from Best Buy store. Then disc is damaged that it won't take a CD. So i go ahead open the console apart with screws tool i have torx but i realized they are security torx that mean i can't open it to fix the disc.

http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Torx

I bought playstation 3 about a month ago its brand new from Best Buy store. Then disc is damaged that it won't take a CD. So i go ahead open the console apart with screws tool i have torx but i realized they are security torx that mean i can't open it to fix the disc.

Torx - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

I know what a Torx screw looks like - the six-pointed-star one.

I remember having to use a Torx screwdriver when unscrewing a computer tower that had Windows 98 SE on it for adding more memory.

No problem.

31 In 1 Screwdriver Set Mobile Phone Repair Kit Tools | eBay

I have exactly one and it's works great for PS3, iBook, old mobile, some pc laptops. No problem with it so far.

Open the PS3 could void the warranty and you will much better to have send to Sony to repair it.

All PS3 come with 1 year warranty, I think so.

Open the PS3 could void the warranty and you will much better to have send to Sony to repair it.

All PS3 come with 1 year warranty, I think so.

Yep, I can do it as out of warranty.

Funny thing, PS3 slim won't support a CD anymore, only DVD and blu-ray.

I mean I bought a torx tool from store today and I come home and open my ps3 console but I found out that I can't open it since they have star around on it with a tiny dot it's called Security Torx I read about it from wikipedia. Store doesn't have kind of tool like that Security Torx. So I'm stuck that I can't open to fix it. Foxrac, I don't have a warranty to send Sony repair disc.

Never mind, I found amazon link. I will order it.

[ame=http://www.amazon.com/Anytime-Tools-SCREWDRIVER-SECURITY-TAMPER/dp/B000FIXXBA/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1330910122&sr=8-3]Amazon.com: Anytime Tools SMALL TORX SCREWDRIVER SECURITY TAMPER PROOF HOLE T5 T6 T7 T8 T9 T10 T15: Home Improvement[/ame]

I mean I bought a torx tool from store today and I come home and open my ps3 console but I found out that I can't open it since they have star around on it with a tiny dot it's called Security Torx I read about it from wikipedia. Store doesn't have kind of tool like that Security Torx. So I'm stuck that I can't open to fix it. Foxrac, I don't have a warranty to send Sony repair disc.

You said that you bought PS3 from Best Buy in a month ago and it is include with original warranty.

Cashier asked me want to have warranty for PS3. I said no.

Cashier only ask for additional warranty like 2 years, 3 years but all PS3 include 1 year warranty for free.

Sony Computer Entertainment America ("SCEA") warrants to the original purchaser that the PS3™ hardware shall be free from material defects in material and workmanship for a period of one (1) year from the original date of purchase (the "Warranty Period"). If the product is determined to be materially defective during the Warranty Period, your sole remedy and SCEA's sole and exclusive liability shall be limited to the repair or replacement of this product with a new or refurbished product at SCEA's option.

PlayStation®3 | Warranties | Support - PlayStation.com

Back