A simple chain of thoughts

Muffinator

Reaction score
Good morning. A very straightforward thought process has brought me here.

I am hearing, but I am also Autistic. I am not completely nonverbal, but I do have periods of mutism, some of which occur at the most inconvenient of times. My mutism affects only the voice, and to a lesser extent, writing, although my ability to write is already crippled by default.

I started learning ASL this year as a form of AAC (Augmentative and Alternative Communication) in the hopes that it will allow me to communicate even during times of extreme stress. So far my hopes seem to be correct.

The only problem is that my family has refused to learn to sign with me. My own language skill isn't very useful if the person I'm signing to doesn't understand. I also need someone to practice with while I'm still learning. That means I need Deaf friends and an immersion in Deaf culture, but wait! I'm not just pursuing relationships with Deaf people out of a selfish desire to sign, right? I'm genuinely interested in Deaf culture, right? Right! So why don't I pick some actions that match my interests!?

So I Duckduckwent "deaf culture forums" and the rest is extremely recent history.

One of those and HOH, reporting for duty.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I317 using AllDeaf App mobile app

Back