a rather inane question, really.

coronamoz

Reaction score
When signing the alphabet in SEE or using the shapes for words in ASL, does the ANGLE at which it is shown to the viewer, matter? This especially perplexes me with "K".

The reason I ask is because I do not have the opportunity to learn these simple things. I am teaching myself how to sign, and, living in a small town in Oklahoma, have no other way of doing this.

Some things you just can't learn from a book. So, please, if you have any other arcane ASL knowledge for me, I am in dire need. I'm afraid when I converse with someone in ASL for the first time they will have no idea what I am saying.

Rant over.

First off, know that I am a hearing ASL student, and people may correct me on this, but here's my perspective:

coronamoz said:
When signing the alphabet in SEE or using the shapes for words in ASL, does the ANGLE at which it is shown to the viewer, matter? This especially perplexes me with "K".
Okay, first of all, the alphabet in SEE sign and ASL are the same. Yes the angle matters, especially on letters. "P" is the letter "K" upside-down, "Q'" is also a version of "G," so that is important. With many signs, the exact handshape and angle matter. That said, a fluent signer can watch someone from the side or even behind them and understand what they're saying. For beginners, any small direction change can be difficult.

coronamoz said:
The reason I ask is because I do not have the opportunity to learn these simple things. I am teaching myself how to sign, and, living in a small town in Oklahoma, have no other way of doing this. Some things you just can't learn from a book. So, please, if you have any other arcane ASL knowledge for me, I am in dire need. I'm afraid when I converse with someone in ASL for the first time they will have no idea what I am saying.
I think it is great you want to learn ASL, it is a wonderful, rich language. However, you really can't learn a language until you use it with other speakers, and it is best those speakers are native speakers. You can only be as good with using a language as your teacher(s). The internet and books, such as dictionaries and grammar books, can be great for review, and learning some new knowledge once you have a decent grasp of the language. I'd say, see what deaf people are in your area, maybe you will find some on AllDeaf, other than that, enjoy your stay and good luck!

coronamoz - it is not inane question! your welcome to learn more here.

Signer16 - your post is excellant!!

Back