A Random Rant about Advertising...

Lexii

Reaction score
I'm getting so annoyed with the media's use of certain terms to try to attract consumers.

I just saw a commercial for a line of interior paint, and it's called "VALSPAR HI-DEF COLORS" - Really? High Definition WALL PAINT?! I get it, High Def Tv's, Movies, Cameras and stuff are all the rage, but let's keep that term where it makes SENSE. It's all about trying to fool the consumer into thinking that, jus because they slap the term "hi-def" on it, it's superior than the other brands.

I get it, it probably works... But it still annoys me.

I had another example in my head when I started this thread, now I can't remember. Damn ADD. But there. I just had to rant. Carry on! :cool2:

That's called "charged language," and the point is to get the audience to have an emotional response to the language and associate that response with the item it is attached to, even if it has nothing to do with it in a logical sense. "Hi definition" just sounds so cool, doesn't it!?!

Unfortunately, I am guilty of teaching my students how to effectively use this type of language in their own writing everyday. I am a terrible human being.

I think "new" can only be used for 6 months. Something I learned in selling class.

"You get 23% fewer cavities using Crest!" :eek3:

Advertising is big business......(where the $$ is, too). An "eye-catching" Ad about your product/business can bring in more business/revenue than word of mouth.....The more a customer "sees/reads" the name of a product/or business, the more likely that customer will buy/frequent.
Most cases, if a new store/product is being offered....and you don't advertise, it's more than likely to bring in less customers and fold.

I have seen pairs of sunglasses and prescription eyeglasses advertised to be in high-definition.... *shrugs*

I work in the field of marketing, and yes... I know exactly what you are talking about. People will say anything to make a buck.

We had a dealership here in town that was "The four floors of Ford". Too bad those 4 floors went down with the hurricanes. We also had a Ford dealership touting their low prices saying they were the "cheaper dealer" with little chickie birds on the screen. How about Channel 12 news, "The 1, 2 turn 2." As in, holding up a finger sign 1, then a 2, then turn the 2 and turn it back.

It is really silly when there is commercial or an advertisement on the program. It is like entertaining the viewer to make fun or laugh at the commercial. Yes, they are trying to make a lot of bucks and also to keep on using the regular programs and movies going. Otherwise, if there is no commercial or advertisement on the program, we will not be watching the sitcoms, plus drama programs and movies at all which mean no television ever. All you have to do is to ignore and wait for your program or movie to come back on again. My husband and I don't like the commercials that are way overboard and very silly. Some commercials are okay which mean make sense, not weird. :)

The same concept with all the Las Vegas lights on the strip. To attract people to spend money.

I'm getting so annoyed with the media's use of certain terms to try to attract consumers.

I just saw a commercial for a line of interior paint, and it's called "VALSPAR HI-DEF COLORS" - Really? High Definition WALL PAINT?!

Oops, I'm sorry... I sell that paint.:eek3:

Wirelessly posted

Car commericals. Everytime I see a commerical about a husband surprising his wife with a car make me wonder if spouses really surprise each other with a car. I would think they would discuss and/or buy a car together.

Quality, value, style, service, selection, convenience
Economy, savings, performance, experience, hospitality
Low rates, friendly service, name brands, easy terms
Affordable prices, money-back guarantee.

Free installation, free admission, free appraisal, free alterations,
Free delivery, free estimates, free home trial, and free parking.

No cash? No problem! No kidding! No fuss, no muss,
No risk, no obligation, no red tape, no down payment,
No entry fee, no hidden charges, no purchase necessary,
No one will call on you, no payments or interest till September.

Limited time only, though, so act now, order today, send no money,
Offer good while supplies last, two to a customer, each item sold separately,
Batteries not included, mileage may vary, all sales are final,
Allow six weeks for delivery, some items not available,
Some assembly required, some restrictions may apply.

So come on in for a free demonstration and a free consultation
with our friendly, professional staff. Our experienced and
knowledgeable sales representatives will help you make a
selection that's just right for you and just right for your budget.

And say, don't forget to pick up your free gift: a classic deluxe
custom designer luxury prestige high-quality premium select
gourmet pocket pencil sharpener. Yours for the asking,
no purchase necessary. It's our way of saying thank you.

And if you act now, we'll include an extra added free complimentary
bonus gift at no cost to you: a classic deluxe custom designer
luxury prestige high-quality premium select gourmet combination
key ring, magnifying glass, and garden hose, in a genuine
imitation leather-style carrying case with authentic vinyl trim.
Yours for the asking, no purchase necessary. It's our way of
saying thank you.

Actually, it's our way of saying 'Bend over just a little farther
so we can stick this big advertising dick up your ass a little bit
deeper, a little bit deeper, a little bit DEEPER, you miserable
no-good dumbass fucking consumer!'

:laugh2: God I miss Carlin

Wirelessly posted

Car commericals. Everytime I see a commerical about a husband surprising his wife with a car make me wonder if spouses really surprise each other with a car. I would think they would discuss and/or buy a car together.

True story:

One interpreter of mine had a car issue, and while my college class went on a break, we went to check the car out.

I told her to back out her parking spot to check it out to see what was up, her rear wheel was all wobbly! I told her to stop and park it. Explained to her what the problem was. It was a toyota Rav4. She called her husband and he said he would take care of it.

By the end of the class he was back, gave her a key to her car. A brand new BMW X5. :shock:

Wirelessly posted

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bXy1iiQgOAM&feature=player_detailpage]YouTube - Merry Christmas......BITCH!!![/ame]

I had to

True story:

One interpreter of mine had a car issue, and while my college class went on a break, we went to check the car out.

I told her to back out her parking spot to check it out to see what was up, her rear wheel was all wobbly! I told her to stop and park it. Explained to her what the problem was. It was a toyota Rav4. She called her husband and he said he would take care of it.

By the end of the class he was back, gave her a key to her car. A brand new BMW X5. :shock:

wow! and I can imagine the debt he put them into.

Back