A Question.

tom_a56

Reaction score
Hello,

I've not posted in here for a long time, but I have started to try and come back on here more often.

I am currently working on my final year dissertation at University and being deaf myself want to do something on deafness. I'm thinking for one part of the research could be to look at hearing people's attitudes towards the deaf.

So, I was wondering, what do you think hearing people's attitudes are towards the deaf?

Once I actually start the research it would be great if some of you could help me in my research, but will post up a new thread nearer the time.

:lol: Wouldn't it be better to interview hearing people for this question?

I am going to yes, but I also want to find out more about what the deaf believe the hearings attitudes are towards us.

Then I suggest you read thread call "ignorant hearies stories" or similar name.

Thanks Sunny_Signs I had forgotten about that thread :). I shall try to find it now.

Hello,

I've not posted in here for a long time, but I have started to try and come back on here more often.

I am currently working on my final year dissertation at University and being deaf myself want to do something on deafness. I'm thinking for one part of the research could be to look at hearing people's attitudes towards the deaf.

So, I was wondering, what do you think hearing people's attitudes are towards the deaf?

Once I actually start the research it would be great if some of you could help me in my research, but will post up a new thread nearer the time.

Ummm...a dissertation requires you to do the research yourself. Try reading books and journal articles.

Ummm...a dissertation requires you to do the research yourself. Try reading books and journal articles.

That's a valid point, but ideas help, too..

My idea is, try to get data on how little or how much and why
does hearing pple know about deaf and deafness and how does it impact their views about it all...

Fuzzy

That's a valid point, but ideas help, too..

My idea is, try to get data on how little or how much and why
does hearing pple know about deaf and deafness and how does it impact their views about it all...

Fuzzy

That would require reading journal articles involving research on the topic. If this is the last year of his dissertation, I seriously doubt that he is going to design his own research project and get IRB approval to collect data.

How people feel, or what people's opinions are are poor choices for a topic.

there is no way to do the research so that is has any value... so no one would have done research before you on this...

Opinion polls are not valid for study, and unless your degree has something to due with 'modern culture studies' I doubt 'hearies as a culture' counts as a study either.

I guess one could construct an online poll, push it on google so it gets hits, promise a chance at a prize and one of the questions asks about the 'hearingness/deafness' of the person taking the quiz (on a 1-5 scale or something) and can then write a script that drops hearing's answers in one place and the deaf's answer in another place... then the results could be compared per 100 completions using a StanDev and all that... and the results would be:

"based on internet connected computer users who chose to take a brief survay with a chance of winning a prize... (data goes here)."

I have designed my own project and have received approval for it. This is only one part of the study. I have read journal articles and read books, but there is a HUGE gap in research into the deaf, which surprised me as there's tons of research on everything else. So with my study I am wanting to try and fill in as many gaps as I can in this area.

That's why I ask what you think hearing people's attitudes towards the deaf are so that I can try to include decent questions in my study so that it can be a valid representation.

I have designed my own project and have received approval for it. This is only one part of the study. I have read journal articles and read books, but there is a HUGE gap in research into the deaf, which surprised me as there's tons of research on everything else. So with my study I am wanting to try and fill in as many gaps as I can in this area.

That's why I ask what you think hearing people's attitudes towards the deaf are so that I can try to include decent questions in my study so that it can be a valid representation.

Where are you finding gaps? Perhaps I can refer you to some data bases.

Have you read any of the works of Harlan Lane or Paddy Ladd? Their work is full of the hearing beliefs and reactions to deafness.

You are going to need more than "decent questions." You are going to have to design questions that have construct validity and a survey instrument that has internal validity. You don't want the influence of what the deaf community thinks the hearing community thinks. That would be leading in your question construction.

I think you could go to virtually any other website that doesn't have deafies on it like AD and ask the general question, "what do you think of the deaf" or however you want to phrase it -- you would likely get a lot of unbiased and honest opinions rather than here. We've (the d/Deaf) have stated all over this forum how we think that the hearies perceive us as. Enough said.

Actuallly, I've come to the point to where I don't give a rat's ass what hearies think of me being deaf....it's only to my face what they say...(if they are brave enuf)...then they'd beter have some good running shoes on....

Fine, you may want to start with the false belief of /dumb = mute = lack of intelligence/ instead of only 'unable to speak' or that people that do not speak clear and concise English are not as - whatever- ...

How the schools (used to/currently) label anyone with a language delay with processing issues not hearing issues...

How the general consensus of a 'deaf' school is for the kids that can't keep up in regular school, or how 'everyone' should 'want' to hear and not wanting a child to hear and doing everything towards that goal is (whatever/abuse) ...

I still don't see how opinions are going to make a thesis tho-

You might what to find out -why- there are gaps in research, maybe it was done, there was no significant statistical difference between the control group and the deaf group data- and the thing was scrapped as no further data was needed...

It'd be good if you could refer me to some databases, thanks. I've been finding gaps in lots of the research I look in.

I haven't heard of the works of Harlan Lane or Paddy Ladd, they've not come up in anywhere I have searched, I will look into them now.

I know I am going to need construct validity ect. I only say "decent questions" as it was the easiest way to put it for now. I am wanting the deaf community's input so that it can help me cover more ground and point me to anything I may miss in trying to find out with my questions.

It'd be good if you could refer me to some databases, thanks. I've been finding gaps in lots of the research I look in.

I haven't heard of the works of Harlan Lane or Paddy Ladd, they've not come up in anywhere I have searched, I will look into them now.

I know I am going to need construct validity ect. I only say "decent questions" as it was the easiest way to put it for now. I am wanting the deaf community's input so that it can help me cover more ground and point me to anything I may miss in trying to find out with my questions.

What data bases are you using currently?

Harlan Lane and Paddy Ladd are two of the most well respected writers on topics of Deaf culture and hearing perceptions of the deaf. Their works will keep you busy for awhile. I'd suggest checking your school and local library.

Fine, you may want to start with the false belief of /dumb = mute = lack of intelligence/ instead of only 'unable to speak' or that people that do not speak clear and concise English are not as - whatever- ...

How the schools (used to/currently) label anyone with a language delay with processing issues not hearing issues...

How the general consensus of a 'deaf' school is for the kids that can't keep up in regular school, or how 'everyone' should 'want' to hear and not wanting a child to hear and doing everything towards that goal is (whatever/abuse) ...

I still don't see how opinions are going to make a thesis tho-

You might what to find out -why- there are gaps in research, maybe it was done, there was no significant statistical difference between the control group and the deaf group data- and the thing was scrapped as no further data was needed...

Right. A dissertation needs to be backed with research...published research and books concerned with historical connotations.

tom a 56: If you can find Harlan Lane's book: A Journey into the DEAF WORLD read the chapters on the "oppression of the deaf by hearing people effected by ENT Doctors etc. Even a section on Cochlear implants being " an instrument of genocide towards the Deaf community" The book was written in the early 90s.
An interesting footnote: Harlan Lane is Hearing when the book was published-today?

I am bilateral DEAF since December 2006.

Implanted Sunnybrook/Toronto Advanced Bionics-Harmony activated Aug/07

I used Harlan Lane in an undergrad academic paper on Deaf Education v. Mainstreaming Deaf Children. My professor said it was very informative and very thorough. It also opened my eyes a bit being d/hh myself and also mainstreamed. After reading his material, I finally understood my childhood a bit better and why I had the reactions I had and why my hearing classmates had the reactions they had.

Harlan Lane knows his stuff without a doubt. I just wish my library had his more recent stuff.

Back