a question.

OldNavyGirl

Premium Member
Reaction score
how many of you have lost the taste?

How many of you have the taste back after the surgery?

how many have half taste?

I've lost only a tiny part of my tastebuds...part of the left side of my tongue is slightly numb and I can still taste some on that side, but not as much as normal. The rest of my tongue and all my other tastebuds are just fine, I still have the same ability to enjoy food as before. I'm not very worried at all because I only lost a few...I still have the majority. I still have an excellent appetite. :) And I am sure that I will get my lost tastebuds back soon. I also have a slight metallic taste as well but right now I think it is from my throat bleeding from when I was intubated - the tube scratched my throat. Blood tastes metallic to me, always has. It's not really a big deal. My throat is fine and healing just fine, I do not even have a sore throat. :)

I lost some taste after surgery. Now its back. I dont remember when it got back maybe few months after surgery.

After surgery, I lost just the right side where my CI is. It took about 9 months for it to come back. During that 9 month period it was metallic tasting on that side. My left side never had a problem. Everything is now normal again.

You typically get it back after some length in time which varies considerably and depends on the "trauma" factor.

...I also have a slight metallic taste as well but right now I think it is from my throat bleeding from when I was intubated - the tube scratched my throat.

Er...no, it is from the CI surgery not from your throat being "scratched". The sense of taste is all intertwined with the facial nerve which is very, very close to where they put the electrode in your cochlea. Your sense of taste will come back in months at some point.

Yea, I did lost some of taste buds for several hours after CI surgery and its actually from gas to make sleep, and only doing with gas for CI surgery but other 2 surgeries are just using IV or other vaccine to make sleep instead of gas.

I lost taste for about 6 months on the very right edge of my tongue, then it slowly came back.

Er...no, it is from the CI surgery not from your throat being "scratched". The sense of taste is all intertwined with the facial nerve which is very, very close to where they put the electrode in your cochlea. Your sense of taste will come back in months at some point.

That's true of loss of taste, but the trauma from being intubated for any surgery usually causes a metallic taste that can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. It is primarily due to blood and rawness in the throat, but I believe some post-surgery medications can exacerbate it.

That's true of loss of taste, but the trauma from being intubated for any surgery usually causes a metallic taste that can last anywhere from a few days to a few weeks. It is primarily due to blood and rawness in the throat, but I believe some post-surgery medications can exacerbate it.

Ahhhh! I heard of medicines having an effect on the sense of taste. I never would have thought that a scrape in the throat has any effect that way. Oh well, learn something new everyday.

Thanks

the Ears Nose and Throt and every thing to do with them are all cosly conected like the tung , for some the matlic tst is from being intibated and that is minor nerve damge and it heals, the toung is the fastest healing part of the body, for most it has to do with the ear when ever im having problems and ringing i have a bad tast in my mouth. for most people the matilc tast will go away.

lost mine taste for a month then it comes back :D i remember eatting chocolate chip cookies and have no interest in eatting it because i cannot taste the rich delicously chocolate. so i stop eatting any junk food till i finally can taste some things back again.

now i'm thankful for having taste back.. getting to taste those chocolate again :D

i had two surgeries.. i never had a metalliac taste.. i was intubated for both of times..one was for gallstone removal and other one was tubal ligation. i believe it have to do with the Ci being put in as it is so close to the mouth, ear, and nose. not from the intubating or scrape..

my sons father said he did lost some taste buds but it came back.. also that it was metalliac taste but it went away within 2 weeks. so he was back ot normal..

Speaking of metalic tastes in ur mouth, has anyone ever noticed that blood taste a little metalic too? Sometimes if i bite my tongue accidentally, i'm never sure if it's blood i'm tasting or the metalic fillings that sometimes give a little 'flavour'?

I just thought i'd mention...:cool:

I never had the ci surgery but might in the near future. anyway the blood i tasted many times doesnt taste like metallic. it taste different! ugh! now im sick! :(

Speaking of metalic tastes in ur mouth, has anyone ever noticed that blood taste a little metalic too? Sometimes if i bite my tongue accidentally, i'm never sure if it's blood i'm tasting or the metalic fillings that sometimes give a little 'flavour'?

I just thought i'd mention...:cool:

Blood does taste metallic to me.

When Lilly has her surgery, the DR. told me there are two nerves that run across the implant area. If I remember correctly, 1 is for facial control which is almost never damaged. There is also a nerve that control the taste buds in your tounge. He said this nerve is damaged 1 of every 4 CI surgeries. He further said this was no big deal because there are 4 nerves for taste with your tounge.

When Lilly has her surgery, the DR. told me there are two nerves that run across the implant area. If I remember correctly, 1 is for facial control which is almost never damaged. There is also a nerve that control the taste buds in your tounge. He said this nerve is damaged 1 of every 4 CI surgeries. He further said this was no big deal because there are 4 nerves for taste with your tounge.

Yep, it is not a problem for me at all, I still have most of my tastebuds. I still enjoy food same as before. In fact, I just ate 3 enchiladas and a lot of mashed pinto beans. YUMMY!

ahhh I had a mexican dinner today eh enchiladas spanish rice, refried beans brownies :D

Back