A question from a hearie...

Holly

Reaction score
Say you are in a store with a friend and you are signing with eachother. And lets say that the cashier you go to knows a little bit of sign language, simple phrases like "hello" "goodbye" "thank you", etc... she noticed that you two were signing so she uses a few of the signs she knows while you are checking out. Would this bother you? Do you like that she made an effort or would you prefer she not? why or why not? just curious because where I work I occasionally come across people who are deaf/hoh and use sign.

:fruit:

It has been my experience with the deaf community that anytime a hearie attempts to communicate with the deaf on their terms, it is appreciated. As long as it doesn't involve approaching two people who are having a conversation and saying, in an intrusive manner, "Look! I know some siign!"

It has been my experience with the deaf community that anytime a hearie attempts to communicate with the deaf on their terms, it is appreciated. As long as it doesn't involve approaching two people who are having a conversation and saying, in an intrusive manner, "Look! I know some siign!"

I second that !!!

As long as it's not "oh oh - look I learned my ABCs" I think it's GREAT! I've had a few cashiers etc who have signed "Thank You" or something to me and I always think it's really nice and make sure to say something positive back to them :)

I look at it the same as if you noticed the people were chatting to each other in french of spanish etc and at the end of the transaction said merci etc back ...

:)

ugh so many people are rude to cashiers... Be nice to your cashiers! They're humans too... Stop thinking they're being rude to you every chance they get, their whole job relies on their ability to make people happy. Personally, I think too many customers are defensive and snappy about things. If I say something and the customer isn't looking at me or listening they angrily and defensively go "Excuse me?" or act like I've asked them what they look like naked.
Get over it. Your cashier works 8+ hours a day for people who will never be satisfied... If your cashier was trying to make an effort to show she/he noticed your method of communication, take that as a friendly gesture and move on.

Like that time that woman who approached my brother when we were tubing at a river and recited the whole ABCs to him without introducing herself. :giggle:

Anyways, I would feel appreciated whenever a cashier uses sign language.

I remember once when I was twenty-something (eons ago) that I was working in the sub-sandwich joint as a cook and cashier. One afternoon two young ladies approached my counter. One was deaf the other a hearie. I only recognized very simple greetings and a very few signs but I nonetheless dared myself to interact manually in this unique opportunity. I waited for the right moment (when the attention of both was not on each other) and I tried my sings/phrases; and sometimes pen and pad were used.

The pair was delighted that I wanted to communicate via ASL. In fact the deaf lady returned the following morning to meet me but I was so busy (with my slave-driving boss looking over my shoulder) that I could not return her greeting.

I guess that deaf lady found me too sexy for my shirt. :hyper:

Like that time that woman who approached my brother when we were tubing at a river and recited the whole ABCs to him without introducing herself. :giggle:

Anyways, I would feel appreciated whenever a cashier uses sign language.

I have to admit that I laughed outloud when I read this! I can just picture somebody walking up to a total stranger and just saying their abc's, she at least said something afterwards I hope!

It is the same when someone say a foreign phrase to a person who immigrated to USA long time ago and that person would warm up instantly to that.

I don't mind that as long as the person is not interrupting the deaf people's conversation.

It depends on how the employee is signing.

If the employee jumps into a conversation with a comment like, "Hey! I know sign language too! Watch me! *fingerspelling something random*"... then it would be annoying and disrespectful. However, if the employee simply said, "Thank you." or "Have a nice day." in sign language... then that would be nice. I prefer to keep it simple and sweet.

Having a hearing person (or a deaf person too), that is a stranger, jump into a deaf person's signing conversation is disrespectful and annoying.

What do I mean by "deaf person"? Well, here's an example...

I was at a Denny's restaurant with a few deaf friends. While we were sitting there and waiting for our food, this deaf guy sees us signing and immediately approaches us. "Hey, you all deaf? Awesome! I am deaf too! Did you go to RIT/NTID? Wow! I graduated from NTID years ago! Cool!" He starts rambling on and on about how he used to be at NTID and how he knows all these deaf people in the area. Our food arrived and we didn't want to disrespect a person who was talking to us. So, we didn't eat right away. He kept talking and talking. Luckily, his mother interrupted him and said that he should leave us alone so that we could eat. He finally left. Just when we finished eating, he bothered us again with how he's deaf and we're deaf. Jeez...

Say you are in a store with a friend and you are signing with eachother. And lets say that the cashier you go to knows a little bit of sign language, simple phrases like "hello" "goodbye" "thank you", etc... she noticed that you two were signing so she uses a few of the signs she knows while you are checking out. Would this bother you? Do you like that she made an effort or would you prefer she not? why or why not? just curious because where I work I occasionally come across people who are deaf/hoh and use sign.

:fruit:

It's always a pleasing part of my day when a hearing person goes out of their way to sign, even if it is just someone at the check out stand saying "thank you" or whatnot..

As others have said, unless you're being overly chatty or interrupting the conversation in a fashion that you wouldn't find acceptable to do with two hearing friends speaking.. it's not only acceptable, it's quite appreciated.

I have to admit that I laughed outloud when I read this! I can just picture somebody walking up to a total stranger and just saying their abc's, she at least said something afterwards I hope!

Nope, she just curtsied and walked off!:giggle: Performance over!

i'd appreciate it for sure. it's a nice gesture and i think it's just common courtesy. i think it applies to all languages.

i have a hearing friend who is fluent in ASL and worked at an exhibition last summer serving root beer floats. a deaf customer came and ordered a drink in English and she took the order and spoke orally. but then before she gave them the drink, the man started signing with the other person with him. so when my friend noticed this, she switched to total communication (since she can only assume that one of them is deaf), and they seemed to very much appreciate it. of course that's different than signing just one word, but it's always nice when someone knows a few key signs. if you travelled to a different country, you'd learn how to order food, ask where the bathroom is, and say things like excuse me, and thank you, and "no tequila in my drink, please". (i learned that the hard way.)

RE: Sign-by-ABC'er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Holly View Post

Nope, she just curtsied and walked off! Performance over!

OMG! :ty: I needed that :giggle: !!

i'd appreciate it for sure. it's a nice gesture and i think it's just common courtesy. i think it applies to all languages.

i have a hearing friend who is fluent in ASL and worked at an exhibition last summer serving root beer floats. a deaf customer came and ordered a drink in English and she took the order and spoke orally. but then before she gave them the drink, the man started signing with the other person with him. so when my friend noticed this, she switched to total communication (since she can only assume that one of them is deaf), and they seemed to very much appreciate it. of course that's different than signing just one word, but it's always nice when someone knows a few key signs. if you travelled to a different country, you'd learn how to order food, ask where the bathroom is, and say things like excuse me, and thank you, and "no tequila in my drink, please". (i learned that the hard way.)

haha, no tequila in my drink please:giggle: thats funny! and yeah I know what you mean about the different country thing, I've traveled a lot especially as a kid and my parents always made sure we knew how to say a few things in the local language (key phrases like thank you, your welcome, help, i'm lost:)) so yes I can see now how it would be appreciated.

If somebody comes up and do the ABC thingy (and I get that a lot!) - I always reply, "HEY! I know my ABCs too! I learned it in kindergarden! Look...A...B...C...D..."

I love seeing the look on their faces ;).

Minimum wage workers doing simple signing vs visiting a Lawyers office that No one can sign a simple hello nor know how.Ill take the cashier's respect for humanity any day.

Back