A question about pidgin..

coolgirlspyer90

Reaction score
I'm using pidgin since my laptop won't let me use AIM. But I use AIM express sometimes so that works most of the time..

anyways about pidgin.. Everytime I see a friend of mine sign on, on my buddy list, You know those Mobile signs, idle signs, etc thats on the right side of your buddy screenname?? well this sign is different. My buddy screenname has a lock sign next to it. And I asked my uncle who knows about computers well but he doesn't know what that is. I was hoping if anyone of you know. A lock sign that you can use for your lockers. Not the one that is the circle one and you can push it up or scroll it sideways to either the left or the right for the combination. This one is a lock where you can unlock it on the bottom. That kind of lock but its on the next side of my buddy screenname of my friends. And i have no idea what it means.

Can you guys help?? Or maybe i can do something about it?? Thanks!!

Im more than happy to check that out. I have pidgin in my laptop too and it works like wonder. I can try figure out what's lock for. Let u know when I find out.

Catty

Im more than happy to check that out. I have pidgin in my laptop too and it works like wonder. I can try figure out what's lock for. Let u know when I find out.

Catty

thanks catty, I'll check back when i can. I will be busy all week according to school and my band practices and band competitions all weekend. Thanks for helping out. I'll check back if you find anything. Thanks!!

:lol: I got my Ubuntu up and running now, See the Thread in this forum, "Reason Why Ubuntu is better..." . I just got a new powerful graphic card and able to get what I wished for. http://www.alldeaf.com/computers-electronics-gaming/61612-reasons-why-ubuntu-better.html and scroll down to near bottom where I left the post about graphic card.

I'm coming down to basement "Tuxbox" and run Pidgin now.

I dunno why my laptop is missing Pidgin!!:confused::confused: I installed it last month and were using it. I sure hope my kids didn't delete it.

That's why I put off to check it out.

Catty

Either that you had an older version Pidgin or Pidgin-Encryption was installed Here's the link Pidgin-Encryption This is where it locks. Mine doesn't have it on Ubuntu 8.10 Ibex.

When I dug deeper in Google search, I think I found out it's a Certificate related that locks your Pidgin. ON your Pidgin buddy list window, on top bar, click "Tools" and go down to "Certificate", If you see anything listed on Certificate, You might want to try delete it. If not on the list then. Secondly, It's something to do with Gnome lock. I don't see anything on my Gnome desktop

Question.. Which Ubuntu or Windows are you using that have Pidgin installed?

It's kinda odd and you might want to uninstall Pidgin and reinstall with update. See if it can resolve problem. If your buddy show padlock (list of ur friends) and ask them if they "encrypted" their buddy or not.

I don't have 'em on my Pidgin in Ubuntu!

Catty

Either that you had an older version Pidgin or Pidgin-Encryption was installed Here's the link Pidgin-Encryption This is where it locks. Mine doesn't have it on Ubuntu 8.10 Ibex.

When I dug deeper in Google search, I think I found out it's a Certificate related that locks your Pidgin. ON your Pidgin buddy list window, on top bar, click "Tools" and go down to "Certificate", If you see anything listed on Certificate, You might want to try delete it. If not on the list then. Secondly, It's something to do with Gnome lock. I don't see anything on my Gnome desktop

Question.. Which Ubuntu or Windows are you using that have Pidgin installed?

It's kinda odd and you might want to uninstall Pidgin and reinstall with update. See if it can resolve problem. If your buddy show padlock (list of ur friends) and ask them if they "encrypted" their buddy or not.

I don't have 'em on my Pidgin in Ubuntu!

Catty

I'm using Ubuntu 8.10- The Intrepid Ibex that was released in october 2008. But I tried reinstalling the pidgin, no luck. Said i had to use some kind of pack to do that. Not sure what it is though.

I looked under the certificates. It had nothing on it. I'm still not sure what the padlock means.. I don't know if this causes for me not being able to send IMs to friends of mine whenever i'm online. Any ideas now??

Ubuntu should have Pidgin in it's Synapic Package Manager (Administrator--Synapic Package Manager). Just type "Pidgin" in "search" and it'll pull up on the list. Mark it and then click red Check above it to install. After installation. You should get Pidgin back. Ummph Ask your friend if they installed security package on their AIM or Pidgin.

Here's the info:

Pidgin-Encryption

I believe it's a separate program that "merge" with Pidgin no matter how many time you reinstall and uninstall. Why don't you go to Synapic Package Manager and type on search "pidgin-encrypt" If you see it, unmark for removal then click check button above to remove it. See if the padlock disappeared.

Let me know

Catty

Back