A question about Deaf developement

murray545

Reaction score
Hello, my name is Steven (hearing). I'm currently in my third year of ASL in high school and I have been wondering for a while how Deaf people learn to read. When hearing people read they sound it out syllable by syllable. So I was just wondering how y'all learn. My teachers haven't been much help with this and anytime I ask they don't really know how to explain. Please don't get me wrong this is not an English/ASL thing. Thanks to anyone who answers!

BTW the Deaf Education director at my school is Bradley Porche, he works for Al Gore and every once and a while he goes to Congress to support different Bills. Just wondering if anyone has ever heard of him or knows him.

Well...

Deaf people learn the late language with English writing or reading due that parents doesn't know what resource that needed. Some state have nice offer service to update with parents and have them aware that way child won't leave behind develop.

I think that syllable by syllable isn't benefit for Deaf because it is like try to fix us...

Whole word reading is how I learned. No phonics.

How I learned with audio processing disorder as well deafness

wondering for a while how Deaf people learn to read. When hearing people read they sound it out syllable by syllable. So I was just wondering how y'all learn. .

hi

I learned by whole word reading because I cant hear syllables due to apd

Last edited by a moderator:
When hearing people read they sound it out syllable by syllable.
They can also read in a whole language approach.
Not everyone uses a " Hooked on fonicks Wurked four Me! approach.

I am hearing and I learned via the 'whole word' method. My daughter will learn this way as well, hopefully multiple languages.

In the mainstream elementary school, I just look at the words in the simple book in the first grade and learn how to read with the help from the deaf education teacher(she was hearing). I don't pay much attention to sounds or phonics, even when I had hearing aid or earphones with the teacher speaking on the microphone. It was a waste of time back then. Beside, I had to go into speech therapy to learn how to speak phonics and it was difficult and very hard to learn when I could not hear the sounds. :roll:

yes, I learn to read that way to. I think speech therapy was the biggest help of them all. Without her, I don't think I could survive in mainstreamed school. I didn't have any deaf teacher, I just had a teacher for hearing who wore a microphone.

I used to cheat alot in math because I couldn't understand. Then one day the teacher took the time to teach me alone. When I wasn't getting it (I couldn't understand what she was saying), She yelled at me at the time time she was teaching me. She was getting frustrated with me as she was just an regular public school teacher and not in special ed. I eventually learned because she began to use visual demonstration out of frustration while she was yelling at me. This was in Kindergarten too, and I remember whole thing so clearly.

yes, I learn to read that way to. I think speech therapy was the biggest help of them all. Without her, I don't think I could survive in mainstreamed school. I didn't have any deaf teacher, I just had a teacher for hearing who wore a microphone.

I used to cheat alot in math because I couldn't understand. Then one day the teacher took the time to teach me alone. When I wasn't getting it (I couldn't understand what she was saying), She yelled at me at the time time she was teaching me. She was getting frustrated with me as she was just an regular public school teacher and not in special ed. I eventually learned because she began to use visual demonstration out of frustration while she was yelling at me. This was in Kindergarten too, and I remember whole thing so clearly.

What was the purpose of the teacher wearing a microphone?

I have a lot of respect for teachers so keep that in mind when I say this. As a kid I really had teachers on this higher level from everyone else. I really looked up to them but then I grew up and realized that some are just not good. I am hearing and I was in special ed mostly because of math. I had some good teachers but more that were not. They just didnt care told me the anserws but would not explain anything. In some ways I thank those bad teachers because that is one of the reasons I am going into speech thearpy. Knowing how they were makes me want to do the best I can.:D:D:D

The teacher wearing microphone is because she had an FM system going into her hearing aids and the teacher's voice was transmitted directly to her hearing aids.

yes, what Bottesini wrote is what I mean. It's an FM system that filtered the background noises like children talking and laughing so I can hear the teacher only. But in order for me the hear only the teacher, she need to wear a microphone.

The reason I say why the speech therapy helped me read wasn't because of the phonic or the speech itself . It was because she was holding up the flashcard with pictures and had words written under it. I associate the picture with the words that way.

I remember when she held up a flashcard with the number six and it had the word "six" written under it. I knew the word and the number very well, but I've been calling it "sick" .I didn't know I was pronouncing it that way. The speech therapy been trying to correct me but she wasn't going anywhere. So finally she decided to gestures for me. Everytime I said "sick" instead of "six", she would pretend to act like she was sick. That when I knew I was saying it improperly. I think she would gotten alot faster if we knew ASL. I'm just a visual person, and when a deaf is visual, they need ASL... not gestures.

Language and Literacy Development

Language development doesn't have to be using phonics. Like you noted, if the individual is profoundly deaf, they can't hear the sounds to learn language that way.

Assuming that parents put in the required effort to teach their child American Sign Language, they gain language that way. Then, they learn to connect signs with words. they use the whole language approach and basically memorize words with meaning. Then, if they decide to learn speech, that's quite difficult. I know personally someone who has beautiful speech, but she went to Speech Therapy for 17 years. That's a lot of devotion.

Hope this helps.

If you want to research more yourself, try googling "Language development in deaf and hard of hearing" or "literacy development in deaf and hard of hearing."

Back