A Plea to the Hearing Parents

PFH- do you disagree with my statement that even in threads irrelevant to hearing status and irrelevant to the innocuous comments made, that hostility and hearing status is brought into it?

Oh, one other thing... You haven't corrected anything I've said.

PFH- do you disagree with my statement that even in threads irrelevant to hearing status and irrelevant to the innocuous comments made, that hostility and hearing status is brought into it?

Oh, one other thing... You haven't corrected anything I've said.

There you go again.......... :roll:

I'll refer you to Jiros post.

CSign - i saw that thread and asides from Jiro and PFH - deaf people responded and nicely.

Jiro just told you himself that you're invited to join in and participate and you're still complaining.

Practice what you preach. you don't like bickering or criticism? put them on ignore and don't respond. Personally I think you like fighting because you are always in the middle of one.

okay this tread. it took for worst turn.... but yeah I come from hearing family but sure... I can talk dirty but only if the timing was proper and right place to do it but anyway I'm not born to be purrfect.. so everyone can talk as long they put it to their mind and about offending people... then if u don't like what they talk then just simple walk away.. ;) that's how I feel .. shel90 don't feel bad but i understand how you feel :)

At least I said what was on my mind.

These will be things I share with my deaf peers, but if it comes to hearing people - there are a LOT more that I don't even share. My apologies if this was too much of a cultural shock for you.

That's okay PFH. I personally treat everyone the same regardless of hearing status- but that's just me. We are all different.

CSign - i saw that thread and asides from Jiro and PFH - deaf people responded and nicely.

Jiro just told you himself that you're invited to join in and participate and you're still complaining.

Practice what you preach. you don't like bickering or criticism? put them on ignore and don't respond. Personally I think you like fighting because you are always in the middle of one.

My thoughts too..

I also see this as well.

That's okay PFH. I personally treat everyone the same regardless of hearing status- but that's just me. We are all different.

I try not to get into these, but go check your "likes". You like a preponderance of posts by other hearing parents.

Statistics are fun really.

I try not to get into these, but go check your "likes". You like a preponderance of posts by other hearing parents.

Statistics are fun really.

:shock: I didn't know anyone could see a catalog of our "likes" -- ick. Just looked. Mine are sort of apolitical/deconstructionist: I never considered that liking a post or a thought would be taken as endorsing a person or other beliefs that poster might have, though. Or a subset of the community. I hope that's not the case. I just thought it meant I liked that post, in isolation. Sometimes I don't even like the poster very much :) , just the message. j/k I love everyone equally. And often I'm not in a position to type a real response, and a "like" is my only way to nod 'yes' or participate in a discussion.

:shock: I didn't know anyone could see a catalog of our "likes" -- ick. Just looked. Mine are sort of apolitical/deconstructionist: I never considered that liking a post or a thought would be taken as endorsing a person or other beliefs that poster might have, though. Or a subset of the community. I hope that's not the case. I just thought it meant I liked that post, in isolation. Sometimes I don't even like the poster very much :) , just the message. j/k I love everyone equally. And often I'm not in a position to type a real response, and a "like" is my only way to nod 'yes' or participate in a discussion.

I try to like everyone equally too, except for the tourists. :lol:

But unconsious bias does show that way. Of course now, I probably made everyone self conscious and worried.

I try to like everyone equally too, except for the tourists. :lol:

But unconsious bias does show that way. Of course now, I probably made everyone self conscious and worried.

To be honest.......

Yes, if I do not respect the person.. I do not respect what they have to say.

Respect is earned not given.

Certain people on this thread I do not like that much but I still respect them since they have given me the same amount of respect. And will "listen" to what they have to post and read it.

Others that I have lost respect for and do not like can basically kiss my ass. :P

The rest.... I respect and love! :)

Wirelessly posted (droid)

So, what do y'all do for fun? Not about kids, please. You must have some life apart from kids even if you don't get to enjoy hobbies as much as you used to.

Like scapbooking. I have everything to make one for my wedding but I still haven't got it done. I've been married 20 years. lol

Last edited:
One would think that, but it doesn't always work out that way. Sometimes people choose to make totally irrelevant topics and make it about a persons hearing status. I'm not trying to be contentious- I'm stating the facts unfortunately.

If people were willing to commit to that, and drop the whole "hearing/deaf" thing then that just might work. I think it would be nice too.

In the other threads like A Thread about Nothing, What are you thinking about? and etc? I dont see any hearing or deaf issues in those threads. Mostly in the Deaf Education, CI, Sign Language and Oralism, and Our World Our Culture threads because those areas do deal with the issue of deaf and hearing issues.

OK, here goes. I'm a wannabe filmmaker -- always have been. And have never really pursued that dream.

I love shooting video, love editing it, love the medium for bringing stories alive. I used to write all night long, but for many years video has been what I do in the quiet hours when I can't sleep and everyone else is snoring ... if I'm not drawn onto AD. Sometimes I'm actually on AD during the gaps in time when I'm waiting for video to render on another computer. I've learned how to work with lighting equipment and sound equipment, different cameras that I'll probably never be able to afford to get my hands on, I've practiced all kinds of editing techniques. I've even gone back to school at night to study filmmaking a few years ago, even though it had nothing to do with my "day job," thanks to a nonrestricted tuition reimbursement program. I've finally gotten up the nerve to enter work in a film festival last year, taking part with a team in a 48 hour competition where you don't know your subject and provided characters/key lines until Friday night and have to deliver a finished film on Sunday evening -- but I'll never share a link, it was so much fun, but truly such crap that I was almost too embarrassed to show my husband. Someday, though, I'll get it right ....

I shoot everything. Feeding the chickens, driving to work in the morning. Li getting on her van to school. I've got endless footage, going back 20+ years. Some of my stuff has gone places even though I haven't :). My husband was roommates with Dave Matthews before he started his band and I've got great footage of them goofing around at home, of Dave noodling away on his guitar while serving drinks at a bar and talking about how someday he'll be a rockstar! Some of the footage Dave included in a documentary, some we watched a couple of years ago and unanimously decided to to bury it :) Incriminating all around!

I have to admit that Li is my favorite subject, so I'm breaking SallyLou's rules by talking about her a bit. She and I have been playing with a green screen studio we set up together in her playroom, making videos of her flying like superman over Tokyo and wandering through dark forests -- all from the safety of our back room. Not exactly the stuff of the HBO or PBS documentaries I aspire to, but still, great fun. I'd love to recreate a series of children's fairy tales with her, and we both took off work/school in August and wrote a bunch of stories together that we want to film.

That's one of my big unrealized dreams, to make films and tell stories visually, something that will likely never happen as anything more than a hobby, but it's something I slip away to do in the middle of the night. whew. There. Got personal. Scary.

I enjoy scrapbooking as well, but I've never made one for myself. Only as gifts. I love photography, reading, writing poetry/journaling but haven't done much of that lately. I like to bake, but detest cooking. I can make great desserts, but just don't have the same passion for cooking.

I enjoy scrapbooking as well, but I've never made one for myself. Only as gifts. I love photography, reading, writing poetry/journaling but haven't done much of that lately. I like to bake, but detest cooking. I can make great desserts, but just don't have the same passion for cooking.

My best friend tried to get me to do scrapbooking but the materials are so expensive!!!

Grendel, I think you should do it. Make your videos and films. Give you to look at something 20 years from now. That would be cool.

I got huge into photography a few years back and I feel like I have taken some outstanding photos, I've made "books" (e.g. through Blurb, etc.), I have some of my work hanging on my walls, (and even at work) and I've taken my graphic design background to really alter some photos I've taken. It's something I'm proud of. It's taken a backseat lately, though.

Back