A nifty way to learn a few signs

Taylor

Reaction score
Ok...one of the problems I have with learning ASL is retaining the signs I do know. They just seem to fall out of my brain sometimes. I guess more interaction with signers would help that but....

I'm laying in a hotel room one night and I'm flipping around the TV. On Public Television was a show called Signing Times for children. They must have had like 20 episodes in a row. I watched...and watched...and watched. I actually retained most of the signs that were on there. I usually don't buy children's video's but I found Signing Times on DVD. I think I may actually purchase some of these videos LOL.

Your thoughts?

Sounds like a great way to practice!!! I would go for it. :)

I know a few basic signs, myself, but not enough to get me through a decent convo with a deafie. That sounds like something I could use!! Where'd you find it?

I came across it watching TV late at night and was channel surfing. I was in a hotel room and it had basic cable. It was on Public Television at the time. I later checked Amazon and the episodes are available. There is a link in my original post to Amazon's DVD set.

Ok...one of the problems I have with learning ASL is retaining the signs I do know. They just seem to fall out of my brain sometimes. I guess more interaction with signers would help that but....

I'm laying in a hotel room one night and I'm flipping around the TV. On Public Television was a show called Signing Times for children. They must have had like 20 episodes in a row. I watched...and watched...and watched. I actually retained most of the signs that were on there. I usually don't buy children's video's but I found Signing Times on DVD. I think I may actually purchase some of these videos LOL.

Your thoughts?

That's a very awesome idea! We need more cops that know sign language. Seriously. Miscommunication and no-communication is a very serious problem, and I was on the recieving end once...not pretty (and yes, I was INNOCENT).

Children's ASL t.v. shows and videos are not exactly ideal for learning ASL but they can help. It is better than not learning at all. I don't know if you have seen this on AllDeaf.com before but that is where I found it here on Alldeaf.com and it is for free and has the guys and the women who adults signing in ASL for free at:

ASLPro.com Home

One way I try to remember is to read something from the paper or watch it on TV and try to sign what they are saying.
However, signing it and seeing it signed are two completely different things!

Sorry, I came across this thread a little late. If anyone is interested, you can but the dvds' on line. Do a search of "signing times". It will take you right to it.
Taylor, I agree completely! I ordered the first dvd for my daughter and I instantly began to learn about 15 different signs. I dont know why, ,but for some reason, the signs just stuck in my head. I am going to buy the second dvd soon.
My daughter has quickly absorbed the signs she learned from the dvd.

I guess it is one way to get something into our stubborned cop heads?

Sorry, I came across this thread a little late. If anyone is interested, you can but the dvds' on line. Do a search of "signing times". It will take you right to it.
Taylor, I agree completely! I ordered the first dvd for my daughter and I instantly began to learn about 15 different signs. I dont know why, ,but for some reason, the signs just stuck in my head. I am going to buy the second dvd soon.
My daughter has quickly absorbed the signs she learned from the dvd.

I guess it is one way to get something into our stubborned cop heads?

I also responded to your post without seeing your response to this. I always have a tough time with any language....I know enough spanish to get somebodies hands up, out of a car and down on the ground....Our department is big on 'Command Spanish' and not conversational spanish.
The thing with sign is its visual and I have a much easier time with it when it comes to grammar, etc. The problem is just remembering the signs when I do not sign on a regular basis.

I do not know how often you come across Deaf in your city but I'd bet money that you will find the sign that you learn useful...at home and on the job?

On a side note, I think you sent me a PM awhile back but I was not able to read it (long story). Been meaning to drop you a line since then.

We use Signing Time with Little G. It has helped his little sister tremendously. It's harder for G because we just found out he's not only deaf but autistic. These DVD's have helped me and my ex as well. Good find Taylor.

Taylor, We dont have a few soanish speaking only people around, but not enough to require any training threough the dept. We also have a few deaf residents. In fact, 1 or 2 of the residents of the area I patrolled up until a few weeks ago are members of all deaf. I refer to patrol past tense because I got transferred a few weeks ago. I am now a S.R.O. (school resource officer) in a junior high. Man is this different than anything I've done before! I've done a whole lot of patrol work, various undercover assignments,bicycle patrol and others. Since I left the SLPD, I have only done patrol work in my current dept.

Back