A Motorcycle Thread About Absolutely Nothing!

Haha I know I'll get chirped by my uncle and his buddies who ride harley davidson road kings that are 1200cc. I'm only 22 years old and I have to admit I don't have the best driving record, so I figured a 600cc is medium sized and hopefully somewhat affordable for insurance. Yeah, you are right it's a shadow and I wished I lived closer because to me that is a bargain and a half! at $1500.

can you please elaborate a bit more about that? do you mean lot of speeding tickets? or... lot of accidents?

can you please elaborate a bit more about that? do you mean lot of speeding tickets? or... lot of accidents?

I got one speeding ticket and a couple of seatbelt fines, but what really affects my record is the leaving the scene of an accident. It really wasn't an accident at all. Some farmer decided to be a hero and call the police on me for hitting a fence and a yield sign, but it was really minor. This happened when I was 20, so I have one more year until this ticket is removed from my record as after 3 years fines are eliminated from it.

I got one speeding ticket and a couple of seatbelt fines, but what really affects my record is the leaving the scene of an accident. It really wasn't an accident at all. Some farmer decided to be a hero and call the police on me for hitting a fence and a yield sign, but it was really minor. This happened when I was 20, so I have one more year until this ticket is removed from my record as after 3 years fines are eliminated from it.

seatbelt fines? :slap: It was not hard to do it. It only take 2-5 sec to plug.

Haha I know I'll get chbirped by my uncle and his buddies who ride harley davidson road kings that are 1200cc. I'm only 22 years old and I have to admit I don't have the best driving record, so I figured a 600cc is medium sized and hopefully somewhat affordable for insurance. Yeah, you are right it's a shadow and I wished I lived closer because to me that is a bargain and a half! at $1500.

Yup, I can undy that you live in Canada. There are plenty of good priced Shadows across USA. Would it be a problem for you if you purchase it in USA then bring.over.to Canada. Would inspection and tag tax be expensive ?

I can get an idea cuz I bought my Vol for $3k in Missouri then haul it over to Kansas side ( Kansas and Missouri are just state line of each other). Property tax for Tag cost me $300. Yike. But if it was bought in KS, it would have been less than $60.

Catty

seatbelt fines? :slap: It was not hard to do it. It only take 2-5 sec to plug.

Click it or ticket :lol:

Catty

Haha I knooowwww

The first time it happened I was on my way to Montreal to watch UFC 100 when Brock Lesnar was da man. I was napping in the passenger seat and I woke up to my buddy waking me up and a cop handing me a ticket through the driver's side window. I was like wtf how did you see that I had no seatbelt on, but he was driving a ghost car and must of pulled beside us?

The second time was when I was merging off the highway coming home from work and there was a ride program and I was a little too late trying to put my seatbelt on as they saw me do it lol. Ohh well, you live and learn right?

Yup, I can undy that you live in Canada. There are plenty of good priced Shadows across USA. Would it be a problem for you if you purchase it in USA then bring.over.to Canada. Would inspection and tag tax be expensive ?

I can get an idea cuz I bought my Vol for $3k in Missouri then haul it over to Kansas side ( Kansas and Missouri are just state line of each other). Property tax for Tag cost me $300. Yike. But if it was bought in KS, it would have been less than $60.

Catty

Well, I just googled mapped and it'd take about a day to drive there which is doable on my part. I actually have access to a pickup truck and an enclosed trailer.

Another thing is I've bought beer in the U.S because it's ridiculously cheap compared to Canada. The thing was we only stayed in the U.S for about 20 hours and when we came back from Plattsburgh through the Quebec border we were required to show our receipts and pay the canadian tax on the beer. We were told if we stayed for 48 hours we didn't have to pay a tax? so would this apply to something like a motorcycle?

Seriously? :hmm: :squint:

I guess it's true to what I was refering to, to a degree.

If you spend more than 48 hours in the USA you will get a GST exemption (refund) of 0.05 x $400 = $20 discount when you go to pay the GST later for the bike at the border. If you spend more days, I think the next is a $750 x 0.05 = $37.50 after 7 days time.

If the bike is in the state of Kansas then I would have to pay the state's tax, which is apparently 6%, but cities and counties within the state can add an additional 4%, but it's possible for me to avoid this altogether according to the website I will post a link to at the bottom. If you were in New Hampshire or Oregon there would be no Sales Tax, which would be awesome.

Here is the link where I've gotten the information posted in my message. It's a step by step instructional guide to importing a motorcycle from the U.S to Canada. Step by step, how to import a motorcycle from the USA into Canada | Thinkbox

Several days ago, I stopped by Ego Cycle store and I asked salesperson if they have Dynabeads. She said yes we do carry and asked me how many oz. I told her 2 oz for front and rear which are 4 oz total. She went to back room and brought Dynabeads over to countertop. It appears tiny ceramic balls inside small clear plastic "pillowcase". I paid $17.30 for it, pretty cheap.

I haven't put Dynabeads yet because I was busy over the weekend so I will do that soon. I will let you know the result of Dynabeads

Catty

Just tonight,

I decide to try out Dynabeads and asked my young son to help me out. I had to find clear plastic tube somewhere in garage so I found one on airless sprayer. I went ahead and cut short section of it and it fits air valve perfectly. Then I have to find a funnel so i won't have to spill too much of Dynabeads. I found long narrow funnel used for pouring oil or fluid in car. I cut small section on bottom of funnel so the tube will fit in snugly. I decide to do it on Front tire.. My son use valve removal tool to remove valve out. It spook him when he completely removed valve and air made loud hiss and tired deflated :rofl:

I inserted tube into air valve and opened pouch of Dynabeads and poured into funnel. We use electric etcher motor to vibrate the tube to allow beads flow down into valve. It was rather quick. After that, He put valve back on air valve and tightened it. Then filled the air into tire. I removed chrome weight off on one of the spoke and put it in my toolbox in case if Dynabeads failed to satisfy me.

I fired up motorcycle and headed out on road. I noticed big difference on front tire. It was AMAZING!!!!!!! My handlebar doesn't vibrate much and no "hoppy" feeling on front when riding from 10mph to 40mph. As soon as I enter highway at 70 mph. It was so SMOOOOOTTTHHH like silk!!!!

Dynabeads are not "snake oil", it's a serious wheel balancing beads better than lead weight!! It's worth my $17.30 for pair of 2 oz.

I am planning to do rear because rear tire valve have 45 degree angle so I have to lay my motorcycle to one side to fill Dynabeads in with ease.

Man!! what a Amazing silky smooth feeling!! I'm so exicted.

Hey Jiro... Dynabeads are worth it and you'll love it!!

I believe that you only need 1 oz on font and perhaps 2 oz on rear. It have chart for you to see what oz of beads for front and rear tires. Go to DynaBeads and check for seller that sells one locally in your area.

Catty

whoa...... very convincing, catty!

I should have bought Dynabeads before I rode off to Rochester last weekend. 6 hrs rode back and fourth. just got home few hours ago. I had a great time but it would be nice if my bike is 1000cc :lol:

looks like it's time to do some serious inquiring at motorcycle expo in January. Yamaha Tenere may be it...

Just Today, My oldest son poured Dynabeads into rear tire via valve. After we finished the job. He filled the air into rear tire then I removed chrome weight off rear spoke. I fired up and rode to highway at 70-75 mph, WOW! This is SICK!! MY motorcyle now silky smooth, no vibration or "hoppy" feeling from both tires. Handlebar felt nearly no vibration and whole body seem lot quieter except for engine vibration. I love it so much!! Next time I need new tires, I dont need shop to balance my wheels.

Catty

Just Today, My oldest son poured Dynabeads into rear tire via valve. After we finished the job. He filled the air into rear tire then I removed chrome weight off rear spoke. I fired up and rode to highway at 70-75 mph, WOW! This is SICK!! MY motorcyle now silky smooth, no vibration or "hoppy" feeling from both tires. Handlebar felt nearly no vibration and whole body seem lot quieter except for engine vibration. I love it so much!! Next time I need new tires, I dont need shop to balance my wheels.

Catty

I wonder... how was your bike at low speed? up to around 40mph. because it seems that DynaBeads is only effective at high speed but low speed? :hmm:

I wonder... how was your bike at low speed? up to around 40mph. because it seems that DynaBeads is only effective at high speed but low speed? :hmm:

It's smooth either ways. I don't notice any difference on low or high speed. It seem alot better than lead weight. Originally, with lead weights on both tires on my motorcycle. from 10 to 40mph, it felt "hoppy" and handlebar somewhat vibrate a bit at 40mph and up. Right now with Dynabeads, "hoppy" disappeared and handlebar vibration nearly gone (It's now all engine vibration, not tires). I even pull clutch lever and let it roll at 70mph while engine was idling and quiet, smoooooooth!!! I noticed big difference now. It's my 2nd day riding. It's really worth it. I did rode 85mph down the hill on short burst., I only felt engine vibration, not tires. I love it so much!!

Catty

Last edited:
It's smooth either ways. I don't notice any difference on low or high speed. It seem alot better than lead weight. Originally, with lead weights on both tires on my motorcycle. from 10 to 40mph, it felt "hoppy" and handlebar somewhat vibrate a bit at 40mph and up. Right now with Dynabeads, "hoppy" disappeared and handlebar vibration nearly gone (It's now all engine vibration, not tires). I even pull clutch lever and let it roll at 70mph while engine was idling and quiet, smoooooooth!!! I noticed big difference now. It's my 2nd day riding. It's really worth it. I did rode 85mph down the hill on short burst., I only felt engine vibration, not tires. I love it so much!! Catty

You have convinced me to try the beads. I will be asking around here if anyone carries them. If not, ordering online. I have the same hopping sensation in the front that you had. Lowering the air pressure only helped slightly.

My baby's back! Picked up the bike last week after three months. Runs fine, but now it sounds different. Disassembling the transmission required breaking open the engine. Now it has a louder, deeper sound. Actually better!

For the two damaged parts, it required:
Drive belt pulley
Magneto gasket
2 Head gaskets
O-ring
Drive shaft
retainer
W/S E/G (whatever that is)
Engine sprkt nut
Oil seal
O-ring
Countershaft bearing
2 spark plugs
Alluma-cool (coolant)
Oil filter
Engine oil

In addition, they found my charging system had been failing for some time.

Rectifier
Stator (new, larger size)

In the pictures there are no teeth in the pulley or on the shaft. All because that nut you see backed off just enough to wear it down within about a couple of minutes from 65 mph to 0. It's amazing how easy it is to spend about $1900.

Attachments

• transgears1.jpg
    transgears1.jpg
    80.5 KB · Views: 6
  • transgears3.jpg
    transgears3.jpg
    85.7 KB · Views: 6
  • transgears2.jpg
    transgears2.jpg
    79.4 KB · Views: 6
You have convinced me to try the beads. I will be asking around here if anyone carries them. If not, ordering online. I have the same hopping sensation in the front that you had. Lowering the air pressure only helped slightly.

Something came up in my mind, About beads issue. My motorcycle don't have any problem with Dynabeads because it's tubed tires. Some Tubeless motorcycle tires may have issue due to sticky surface inside the tire. If your motorcycle have tube on both then you shouldn't worry about it.

It is good idea to find out if tubeless tires have sticky surface inside or not. If not then it's safe to put Dynabeads in. If it's sticky surface inside, Dynabeads would be ineffective balancing wheels. It will get stuck on sticky surface. Either that one have to scrub out sticky surface with OOPS paint remover or some kind of remover or spray liquid rubber over sticky surface so it'll be smooth all around to allow Dynabeads to move about freely.

That's my 2 cents

When you put in Dynabeads. Be sure to remove Lead weight off from wheel if any.

Here's the tire chart for right amout of Oz of Dynabeads.

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/chart.htm#MotorcycleChart

Pricing per Oz

http://www.innovativebalancing.com/gallery1.htm

Catty

Hey to all,

I just had motorcycle accident and I'm not hurt or scared at all... I am glad that I survived from accident with sore rib.. My motorcycle still rideable with some damages.

Last Friday night, Oct 5th, It was cold night and donned leather motorcycle Chap, 3 layers of coats (two jogging sweatshirts and motorcycle jacket), windproof gloves and helmet I was riding motorcycle on the way home after visiting friends in Olathe, KS. I was only few blocks from my home, I turn to left lane to make left turn to Woodylane Dr. from Parkway St. (Parkway St. is a freeway). I waited for Left arrow to turn green. As soon as It turned green, I proceed normally turning left to Woodylane Dr.. Suddenly, I saw White Chevy Malibu pull into intersection oppisite side of intersection on Parkway St. My adrenaline shot up and I did not have any chance to stop in time but instinctively throttle up the motorcycle to avoid the car. I was only couple feet from car's grille when I throttled up. In split seconds, the car's right corner bumper hit my rear exhaust pipe and "kicked" rear part of my bike 2 feet into air. I quickly twisted handlebar to left real quickly trying to steady the bike upon landing, but as soon rear wheel landed on pavement, it got grip and tipped over my bike along with me. I jumped out while bike was sliding on pavement, I was literally sliding on my left leg then quickly stood up. I was soo :mad2: and yelled at driver that I got green light!! I saw driver covered her mouth (seeing shadow under her "Cage"). I wasn't scared or hurt but very :pissed: . The driver stayed on the intersection while my bike was laid on pavement dripping gasoline from tank (because the gas cap seal not holding gas in cuz it's old). The witness who was behind her saw everything and came foward to me and asked me if I'm ok or hurt?? I told him I'm fine but very mad. I told him I won't approach the driver until Police come and take care of it. I called 911 and did see driver on phone too at the same time. I told 911 Operator to send police, No ambulance cuz no one are hurt. Witness told me to move my bike out of intersection so I went ahead to move it because here in KS, not need to leave it there if vehicle are operative after accident. I pushed my bike to side of Woodylane Dr and kickstanded it. Police came and officer met with me and witness and we explained to him what happened then officer went to driver to hear what she had to say. Officer asked me if I'm hurt or have medical issue. I told him nope, I don't. 2 more police came and took care of driver (MY officer went with 2 others to driver and it look like it's serious) I inspected damage of my motorcycle, Crashbar was scraped on left side and bent a little, Right Rear blinker missing but Brake light cover and Left Rear blinker remains intact, Rear Exhaust pipes was bent a little from impact of car bumper thus leaving white mark on its chrome, Saddlebag metal brace behind Right side saddlebag was bent (same as exhaust where hit along with it), Left mirror was folded but not broken. But the body and tank are intact, Only clutch lever end ball had scrape because Left Crashbar and Saddlebag protects most of the motorcycle.

I asked the officer if the driver had been drinking or on drug. He said no, just purely accident. Witness told me that he saw her head "looking" at Left arrow while she was on far right lane waiting at red light. As soon as she saw Left Arrow turned green and she thought all lights on her lane turn green also and she accelerate and that's when he saw me enter her lane and saw the impact and me and my bike sliding. He said it's entirely her fault because she jumped on Red light. I asked Officer if he can convey my message to Driver to watch for motorcycle. He said no worry, She's getting ticket and in big trouble right now. (Failure to stop and hitting a motorcyclist I presumed).. He gave me Case ticket which contains her and my Insurance phone number and Ins claim. He said her Insurance going to pay for motorcycle damage she caused. He told me that I can go now. He asked me if my motorcycle rideable. I told him yes it still is. So he gave me thumb up and I warmed up and headed home. Engine seem fine like before. I bet Crashbar and Saddlebag cushioned the crash. My chap had scrape on left calf section and left cowboy boot sustained scrape on edge of side and front of sole. Who cares if I still wears them as my "new" fashion to show them off I'm tough j/k ...

Basically, that accident was actually slow speed accident, Car approach at 10mph whlie I was at around 15mph.

Next morning, I had a sore on left rib but it went away in the afternoon.

I called her Insurance co and I gave them description of what happened ect. They will send over Ins Adjustor to take a look at my bike to estimate cost of repairs or replacement. He told me if motorcycle is beyond repair cost then replacement will be warrant with same value as mine. I called my insurance and did same thing but they will talk with her insurance to get them to pay for damage. He was glad that I wasn't hurt at all and impressed that I was fully suited for riding safetly.

Once my bike is fixed, I would need it to ride to work until it's going to be icy and snow. I bet I will be the big news to deaf community in Olathe :lol:

Catty

Last edited:
Back