A Motorcycle Thread About Absolutely Nothing!

As of about 2 hours ago, my husband and I went to nearby DMV to get Class 'M' added to our license. It felt good! Knowing that we are now bona fide certifiable to drive motorcycles. Any suggestions for starting motorcycles to have, let us know. We'll be using this time to do our research to find appropriate types for us. Woot! Feels good!

As of about 2 hours ago, my husband and I went to nearby DMV to get Class 'M' added to our license. It felt good! Knowing that we are now bona fide certifiable to drive motorcycles. Any suggestions for starting motorcycles to have, let us know. We'll be using this time to do our research to find appropriate types for us. Woot! Feels good!

Get Honda because it lasts longer than Harley ;) Less maintenances.. Also very reasonable price. For brand new 750CC - between 6-7K whilst Harley 800CC for 15-17K !! Both run the same on 2 wheels..

I check through quotes on each insurers. I was asking for basic coverage because my motorcycle is 2002. Just ONE YEAR liabilty coverage. Progressive: $159.00, GEICO: $99, RV America (they have motorcycle insurance): $130.

I want have reasonable coverage not over $200.

Just today, I went to Cycle Gear shop in Lenexa, KS and checked out Melzeler tires. They're on salel, I'm gettin' it!! and I didn't get to bring home the price but If I bring in both of wheels over to have them do the job remove/install tires, on Thursday after 7pm-9pm (after hour), they have sale, the total cost for both wheel including $20 each installation is $254. That's reasonable for me so I'm going to do that. My only concern how do I remove rear wheel with shaft drive!!!! I did download Suzuki VL800 maintenance manual. It did show how to remove rear wheel. I have to take seat, rear fender and muffler off in order to be able to remove rear wheel. Front wheel are easy to do. I do not have special stand to keep bike upright while wheels are removed.

Suggestions???

Catty

see my post #600. risky though. or this - Aerostich Wheel Crate Workstands - Bikestands - Maintenance & Repairs - Prevent or Repair :: Aerostich/RiderWearHouse Motorcycle Jackets, Suits, Clothing, & Gear. You just need those to keep the bike upright. Endemic used 2 metal poles and tied the rope to handlebar.

and then use the car jack to raise your bike and put it on cinderblock.

it would be nice to know what you look like so we can get some idea which possible bikes fits for your physique.

1. height? weight? leg inseam?
2. budget limit?
3. type of riding? (commuting, weekend fun)
4. mostly where? (highway, local road, offroad)
5. what kind of bike? (sportbike, cruiser, sport touring, etc.)
6. uummm.... what else...... :hmm:

I check through quotes on each insurers. I was asking for basic coverage because my motorcycle is 2002. Just ONE YEAR liabilty coverage. Progressive: $159.00, GEICO: $99, RV America (they have motorcycle insurance): $130.

I want have reasonable coverage not over $200.

Just today, I went to Cycle Gear shop in Lenexa, KS and checked out Melzeler tires. They're on salel, I'm gettin' it!! and I didn't get to bring home the price but If I bring in both of wheels over to have them do the job remove/install tires, on Thursday after 7pm-9pm (after hour), they have sale, the total cost for both wheel including $20 each installation is $254. That's reasonable for me so I'm going to do that. My only concern how do I remove rear wheel with shaft drive!!!! I did download Suzuki VL800 maintenance manual. It did show how to remove rear wheel. I have to take seat, rear fender and muffler off in order to be able to remove rear wheel. Front wheel are easy to do. I do not have special stand to keep bike upright while wheels are removed.

Suggestions???

Catty

my insurance is $36 something every 6 months with state farm but it isnt a 800 engine.

if your wheels are spoked id replace the tubes and rubber ring over the rim at the same time as you replace the tires. See what their labor rate is and how much it would be for them to do the whole 9 yards, take them off to replace the tires too. Usually about 30 minutes for the front and 45 to an hour for the rear but from what all youd have to take off it would be longer.

purplecatty - just saw this pix in my motorcycle forum for you to get some idea. it's too bad your bike doesn't have center stand.

Table%201.JPG

RangerDriveway.jpg

it would be nice to know what you look like so we can get some idea which possible bikes fits for your physique.

1. height? weight? leg inseam?
2. budget limit?
3. type of riding? (commuting, weekend fun)
4. mostly where? (highway, local road, offroad)
5. what kind of bike? (sportbike, cruiser, sport touring, etc.)
6. uummm.... what else...... :hmm:

if it was gonna be used for alot of 2up riding progressive shocks would be something to consider.

my insurance is $36 something every 6 months with state farm but it isnt a 800 engine.

if your wheels are spoked id replace the tubes and rubber ring over the rim at the same time as you replace the tires. See what their labor rate is and how much it would be for them to do the whole 9 yards, take them off to replace the tires too. Usually about 30 minutes for the front and 45 to an hour for the rear but from what all youd have to take off it would be longer.

Mine is tubed and spoked
The sales lady told me (she asked the guys in store) that it cost $20 each to replace tires. It's kinda same rate as automotive tire shop charging to replace tires.

As for pix of motorcycle stand, neat! It look more secured. Your bike look like fleshless Terminator :lol:

I got it figured out, I just use car jack and wood block (I already built wood stand, each wood block secured with screws so it won't come apart). Now that my motorcycle is off the floor. I just took seats, fender, swingarm cover and will remove muffler in order to be able to remove rear main bolt for wheel. It look like this bike have never had its tire replaced since it was purchased by original owner back in 2002. That explains 8k miles. I have to use wood and sledge hammer to push main bolt out. My bike is 550 lbs so I have to be careful with it.

Catty

id replace the tubes at the same time then. theres a strip on the rim too or should be to protect the tube from the spokes on the inside. on a bike forum i read it was suggested to replace those too but who knows.

Why is motorcycle insurance so cheap compared to car insurance? I guess it's because it's cheaper to replace than a car. :hmm:

I always thought motorcycle insurance would be probably higher liabity because of severe injuries from riding a motorcycle into an accident.

Why is motorcycle insurance so cheap compared to car insurance? I guess it's because it's cheaper to replace than a car. :hmm:

I always thought motorcycle insurance would be probably higher liabity because of severe injuries from riding a motorcycle into an accident.

Some bikes will cost MORE than a car.

Engine size figures in alot.

Some bikes will cost MORE than a car.

Engine size figures in alot.

I agree with you, I have 805cc V-Twin engine. It cost more than one that are less than 805cc. But it still cheap for my motorcycle. What about one with 2000cc?? :eek2:

Catty

I agree with you, I have 805cc V-Twin engine. It cost more than one that are less than 805cc. But it still cheap for my motorcycle. What about one with 2000cc?? :eek2:

Catty

if someone can afford a bike with an engine that big im sure they can afford the high insurance. would probably be through the roof.

A V8 motor on a motorcycle? :lol: How about a motorcycle with 24 weedeater engines?

Back