A misconception I had when starting associating with Deaf community

JillyBean.MI

Reaction score
I didn't realize how many young Deaf/HoH were out there until I started going to events in my area. I didn't know what they were capable of....Some I've met had decent jobs supporting themselves. It amazed me. I had assumed the ones that were Deaf had disability.

i'm HoH myself and worked many years until things fell through. Up to that point, I never associated myself around Deaf culture because I thoughts I knew it all

Deaf people can do any jobs hearing people can , it's the people that do the hiring that have a disability . I had a hoh doctor , auto mechanic , speech teacher , college guidance counselor and Ma Rehab counselors . I really liked the doctor and wish I could remember his name , I liked seeing a
hoh doctor and the auto mechanic was very good .

You live and learn jolly.But why did you think that,no reason to

You live and learn jolly.But why did you think that,no reason to

Why I thought that? I don't know. I felt handi-capped because the way my family made me feel excluded. I wasn't allowed to do certain things my younger siblings did like mow the lawn or borrow the family car. I never felt like the big sister to my younger siblings

Why I thought that? I don't know. I felt handi-capped because the way my family made me feel excluded. I wasn't allowed to do certain things my younger siblings did like mow the lawn or borrow the family car. I never felt like the big sister to my younger siblings

Wow, lucky you.

I was forced to shovel snow for hours at a time, sweep the garage for hours when it was already clean, trim bushes to precision, and regularly beaten.

Someone forgot to tell the wolves who raised me that I was fragile...

Wow, lucky you.

I was forced to shovel snow for hours at a time, sweep the garage for hours when it was already clean, trim bushes to precision, and regularly beaten.

Someone forgot to tell the wolves who raised me that I was fragile...

You're forgetting a few things. Having to go out and pick a switch to be beaten with, sitting in a chair all day except to use the bathroom, scrubbing the bathroom walls and floor with a toothbrush, getting cussed at night for getting up and going to pee, splitting all the firewood in the winter, being told "you aint worth the air in a jug" or "if your a$$ was on fire I wouldn't pi$$ on you to put it out!!". I could go on and on.

You're forgetting a few things. Having to go out and pick a switch to be beaten with, sitting in a chair all day except to use the bathroom, scrubbing the bathroom walls and floor with a toothbrush, getting cussed at night for getting up and going to pee, splitting all the firewood in the winter, being told "you aint worth the air in a jug" or "if your a$$ was on fire I wouldn't pi$$ on you to put it out!!". I could go on and on.

Me too, but it's probably better if we don't dwell on the good old days of our youth.

We turned out well anyway!

What I meant was, that I didn't know they were able to have careers, even owning their business. I had assume they were all on disability

Ah yes I know that feeling.you have be assertive and deaf can be most assertive when pushed..
Both me and daughter are treated like second class feeble headed no concession is made like just look at me when you talk that all.
Many can relate to that..I was born hearing but young adult well in 30s that young when went deaf suddenly
My parents and rest of them were horrified when went deaf and had Downs child they moved in case they had to help.Well hell could freeze before I asked them..girl you show them do well and never ask for help..your life deafness is for you to deal with and by the way you ain't disabled

I grew up similar. I am now just reaching out to the deaf culture. But my childhood was different. I was taught that I was no different. I was also told don't use this as an excuse. You can do anything. It may be harder at times but life is hard for everyone sometimes. Welcome and I'm glad you are seeing things in a new light

The bad memories I had and have when I became deaf.....my mother said to 3 of my older siblings..."Now that she is deaf and can't hear anything, you are going to have to take care of her"....they gave me a look of contempt (which I'll never forget that look).....

But the look of contempt changed to "jealousy"...after I graduated from school (they didn't)...paved the pavement for a good job, which I landed at a Newspaper....while they were waitressing and working in factories...

Feel in some ways, things said about your deafness sometimes will give you the motivation and drive to succeed...it did for me.

I'm not close to my family anymore...(years now)...It's too toxic to my well-being, so I distanced myself from it all.

Toxic that good word describe my parents sister.

The bad memories I had and have when I became deaf.....my mother said to 3 of my older siblings..."Now that she is deaf and can't hear anything, you are going to have to take care of her"....they gave me a look of contempt (which I'll never forget that look).....

But the look of contempt changed to "jealousy"...after I graduated from school (they didn't)...paved the pavement for a good job, which I landed at a Newspaper....while they were waitressing and working in factories...

Feel in some ways, things said about your deafness sometimes will give you the motivation and drive to succeed...it did for me.

I'm not close to my family anymore...(years now)...It's too toxic to my well-being, so I distanced myself from it all.
And you created a new family of healthy boys, another amazing accomplishment. :)

I think bringing my son up be good man dad husband and doctor pi88 my family.

I've started being more assertive and going to more Deaf events. Did you know I went to a fundraising event for a woman basketball team. The team is under WSAD (West Suburban Association for the Deaf) in Chicago area. I met a guy who got bachelor degree in accounting from Gallaudet. I'm very proud of him.

Back