A little tip for hearing better with a CI

RonJaxon

Reaction score
I found something that's been very helpful for me. So I thought I'd pass it along.

First let me tell you the kinds of situations I'm finding this helpful. I watch a lot of TV shows and movies on my computer. I have a Personal Audio Cable for my N5 but you're not suppose to plug this into anything that isn't battery powered. So I can plug it into my iphone but not my computer or my TV. I know there is one available that you can plug into TV's and computers. But it's pretty expensive and you're also limited to remaining near the TV or computer.

I'm also finding this useful in other settings like lectures and in a movie theater.

Here's what I'm talking about. There are apps that are intended to be used as a megaphone or a microphone. For example one is called VonBruno Microphone App. This is normally used by plugging speakers into the iPhone. So you can use the iPhone as a microphone and they'll hear your amplified voice from the speakers. But you can also plug your personal Audio Cable into your iPhone instead of a speaker and everything you hear will be louder. You can control the volume with the volume controls on the phone.

There are a few other "Megaphone" apps that will do the same thing.

Now I must point out that all of them that I found. Including the Vonbruno Microphone app I linked to above. All have very low ratings in the App store. But keep in mind that most of those ratings aren't focused on using it with a CI. The Vonbruno Microphone one I mainly use is 99 cents and it's well worth it for me. But some of the megaphone ones are free so you can try it out.

So, what I do is I plug my personal audio cable into my iPhone and turn on the app. Everything will be louder then your CI is capable of sounding. Think of it as a sort of hearing aid or sound amplifier. I'll lay my phone down near my computer speaker and I can hear the movies and shows much louder. I've also used it at a movie in a theater and I could hear the movie better. I'll be going to some lectures this year and I'm sure it'll help me hear the them better as well.

Just wanted to pass this along.

Ron Jaxon

Last edited:
Ron,

Thanks for the tip. I don't have an iPhone but I am going to get one once Verizon gets an iPhone that is global. The app would also be great for the theater.

Good tip Ron and it will also work with most any android fone as well. Just got the new HTC lightning and it will work very well with that. Also find that I can now use that phone up to my CI and talk normally on the phone. Get about 95% comprehension as far as I can tell. Still working and getting used to the left one. Going to take some time.
Thanks for the good tips and well worth and well thought out posts.

Back