A little ranting and raving

scoobydoo

Reaction score
Sorry in advance but none of my actual friends understand the pain I have due to the fact that they can hear perfectly.

For years when i was a kid, I had OTE hearing aids and when I got into high school I received a gift from an Aunt. CIC hearing aids from Starky. I have them up until recently when I hit a patch of bad luck with them.

Seems a year ago when they finally broke (dog knocked over my table and ate them) everything has gone downhill. I'm wearing a loaner OTE hearing aid that isn't suitable for me. I haven't had insurance since high school because I just can't afford it. When they broke, I went in and got a hearing test done and to talk about new hearing aids. I figured I would be able to pay for remoldings and whatnot. Bad news strikes again, my hearing went down significantly.

Since then almost everyone didn't understand what was so difficult to accept. I fell into a bad depression due to having one hearing aid which didn't really help me. I lost job after job after job. Now again, I'm at the same point in my life again where I lost my job because I didn't hear the boss tell me to do something.

I'm not looking for pity or sympathy. I'm just overly fustrated right now with everything. I hate not being able to do stuff. I was suppose to move back to Boston and those plans were completely ruined.

Again, I'm sorry but I know most people here understand what pain i'm talking about so I figured here would be the best place to talk about it.

Im sorry. Botti seems to offer you some good links. Wonder if you have apply for SSI or SSDI (from social security) However, if you do, apply for SSDI, then it would be great if you would give it a try by working part time job until you find a comfortable part time job, that can convert to a full time job, then you can stop receving a SSDI benefit. The reason is that I suggest is that SSI normally cover for the medicaid right away, while SSDI would cover within 24 months later. i only think of this one to help you to get a new HA or any varied of the sound device with your own preference. SSI is more strict with the amount of limited budget for a part time job than SSDI that can limit up to 1010 per month. If more information check for this link www.ssa.gov

lastly, it never hurt to learn little about ASL as well.

i wish i could share with you with my experience. I am an ASL user, and working at a full time with insurance only can cover HA , just 1000 and the rest of it that i have to pay for it. I have not gotten a new HA yet as of what i have old HA that is working but annoying with the kind of HA. BUT i do want a new HA so bad!

I hope some of the ideas mentioned will help!

Sometimes I think all the non-discrimination laws are a bunch of hooey when people get their jobs threatened, or lose them due to hearing loss, but have no money to fight. :mad: Once I had my job threatened, even though they knew I had hearing loss and wore hearing aids when they hired me. My hearing changed. I spend $$$ out of pocket for new aids. Then had some troubles with the telephones that had to be worked out. They threatened my job rather than accommodate (which didn't cost them much at all). I called the feds to ask about filing a complaint, from work. Amazing how quickly the accommodation was made after I made that phone call and was "overheard." :giggle: (I did get good advice on how to proceed if needed, to file an official complaint as well; fortunately I didn't need to follow up with that). Now I am connected with the local Deaf advocacy agency as well. Next time your employment is threatened, check with the feds or a local advocacy agency. It's not right. :evil:

And I hope you find a way to get the new aids you need!

You could try to find some better friends, for one suggestion. You don't really need to subject yourself to hearing friends who don't support, nor understand you. It will only give you more stress and burden from preventing a normal life that you deserve.

Some hearing people just won't be able to understand what's it like to live your life because they don't walk a mile in your shoes, they think they know everything and have the answers to your problems. Granted, this is a personality difference, not a hearing person problem - a lot of them are ignorant to your experience if you don't get to stand up and speak out.

Depending on where you live, there are hard of hearing and deaf and other people alike out there. Hope you can try to find those kind of friends.

What is different between SSI and SSDI?

SSI = Supplemental Security Income http://www.ssa.gov/ssi/
SSDI = Social Security Disability Insurance http://www.ssa.gov/dibplan/

SSI is a side income for for people who are blind, old age, or need some income help.
SSDI is a side income for anybody who has a legal disability accepted by the Social Security Agency (SSA) and can't earn income due to the disability.

SSI = Supplemental Security Income Supplemental Security Income
SSDI = Social Security Disability Insurance http://www.ssa.gov/dibplan/

SSI is a side income for for people who are blind, old age, or need some income help.
SSDI is a side income for anybody who has a legal disability accepted by the Social Security Agency (SSA) and can't earn income due to the disability.

Ssi is for blind. Old age (age 65 and up) and disability. Not need some income help.

Ssi is for blind. Old age (age 65 and up) and disability. Not need some income help.

sure...that why they get food stamps and cash assistance..duh! ( a lot of ppl have ssi)

Im on SSDI and lovin it b/c it helps me out so effin much..less stress and burden for me..i appreciate that.. real men ask for help.

sure...that why they get food stamps and cash assistance..duh! ( a lot of ppl have ssi)

Im on SSDI and lovin it b/c it helps me out so effin much..less stress and burden for me..i appreciate that.. real men ask for help.

huh? food stamp and cash assistance are not under SSI program. the health dept handles it and they rely on SSI due to knowing how much they make therefore food stamp depts would know what to help, as well as cash assistance. But they are limited on budget, if one of three depts find out that claimant makes more than $$ like 2 dollars over the limited line then one of them will stop, then the second dept will stop then ssi will stop. it is all hassle but its good for people who are seriously necessary for those three kind of resource for help.

ssdi is based on what they have worked for years in the past and did pay ss taxes then they can draw up a benefit.

Now, you are just spoiled brat... j/k :lol: :naughty:

huh? food stamp and cash assistance are not under SSI program. the health dept handles it and they rely on SSI due to knowing how much they make therefore food stamp depts would know what to help, as well as cash assistance. But they are limited on budget, if one of three depts find out that claimant makes more than $$ like 2 dollars over the limited line then one of them will stop, then the second dept will stop then ssi will stop. it is all hassle but its good for people who are seriously necessary for those three kind of resource for help.

ssdi is based on what they have worked for years in the past and did pay ss taxes then they can draw up a benefit.

Yup, some people have jobs that still rely on food stamp and Medicaid, usually low paying job, part time, etc.

I had that problem Oct to Feb 2011. My hearing aid broke and my CI is severely limited due to congenital deformities. My status at my job deteriorated so bad that I couldn't fix it with my employers. So, backed into a corner and threatened, I just quit the job. I just couldn't fight with them any longer. My health was deteriorating and I felt that if I stayed, I would end up in the hospital with a heart attack or stroke. (I'm psychic, so I always follow that. It has saved my life a few times.)
I hear you. I hope that you can find the resources you need. I do suggest going to the local vocational rehab people and getting financial help to replace the hearing aids that you need to work. (I've heard of them buying the applicant a car! If they can do that, then I don't think new hearing aids are a problem.)
Best wishes!

Go to Vocational Rehab in your local area,get assigned a counselor.
They send you to audiologist,look at test. As long as you have profound or severe loss they will get you hearing aids. I had to do this years ago. I couldn't afford hearing aids. ( in stl they made it profound etc cause of funding issues)
I would try that ,my counselor was understanding and very helpful.

Forget the hearing aids. There are plenty of ways to deal with jobs if you are deaf. Your problem seems that you depended on hearing to get the. Job done. Also there is ADA which gives. You rights to keep your job. In spite of your deafness. You need copeing skills. . Checkbout your states office on deaf

you can also check with the Lions Club, sometimes they'll help with getting hearing aids.

Back