A little guidance...

NitroHonda

Reaction score
Ruh-oh... a question you're going to hate. "What have been the best threads?" I'm certainly not being lazy either. I have been reading back several years and am looking for solid threads but I want to know what YOU thought were the best. I found the "Eff you Deaf Community" thread on the other board and have spent some time searching here since.

I originally signed up on alldeaf several months ago to get information about the hearing aids that I'm about to get today. I got that information then basically disappeared... until a few weeks ago. Why I came back? Simple... I'm looking to better understand how to defend/function myself to the hearing community.

Life for my business began just over a year ago. I've been up and running since April and we've had more success than struggles so that's a good start. Despite that... 100% hearing dealings through and through (and a lot of it is face to face). I have never had a Deaf customer and I don't expect to have one (I'll certainly hope for one though). Functioning in both worlds is something that I have been trying to accomplish because of that. I have faced many barriers trying to set up my business and I think I have crumbled a lot of walls but need the support of others like me. I still face a LOT of challenges and have a lifetime of fighting a bloody war ahead of me. I'm not talking about just technology either but including mere association. That "Eff you Deaf community" thread really resonates here. I am finding people less and less receptive to me because of poor interaction as a result of poor impressions with others in the community... or something like that. That being said... I am somewhat feeling the effects from those who have been pushed off the cliff (like that Eff you thread).

Please... I mean no offense... MANY Deaf people "claim" to be small-business owners or used to be but the truth is... they aren't. Never never never would I try to diminish what one accomplishes. More power to everybody! I'm just saying that freelancing doesn't honestly give you a stake in that claim. This is something that I often see with those who are in the design industry or the computer industry. Something you do on the side isn't it. Running a business is a 24 hour 7 day a week job. Don't get me wrong... if your side job is a lifelong commitment... then yes you count. I have no doubt there are many who are trying to turn their side job into a real thing. I mean... it's like I'm even literally working when I'm sleeping! I'm talking about a legitimate set up through and through. Physical store. Legally employed. Have employees. Pays insurance and taxes. Commercial equipment. Etc. What can I learn from what happened to YOU to keep "whatever" from happening to me? I have noticed more and more Deaf photographers and Deaf landscapers establishing themselves a bit better to use an example. Another one, Mark Gobble's skateboard thing was exactly the sort of interaction and experience that I am looking for. (may you rest in peace). For those who claim the "used to have"... why no more? What happened? What do I need to watch out for???

I have a thread titled "Musings of a Deaf Person" on a non-related board (football) that I have been posting at for years. There's a guy there who has been... a little challenging for me to discuss issues with. Creating that thread has really allowed me to better understand the challenges that I have in relation to the hearing community. I know how I feel. I know how most of us feel. But I don't know how THEY feel. THIS information helps ME with my business. I have to know what I'm missing. Why do more hearing people react a bit harshly to my struggle now than they did 20 years ago?

Reading the threads in alldeaf has been a solid source of information. Even so... this site is MASSIVE. I mean crazy-massive!! There are a shit-ton of threads here, a lot of them useless and others are absolutely critical to progress. I'm starting to glaze over certain threads and may be missing some stuff.

Soooo... best of alldeaf? Can be any topic but let's not dwell so much on CIs unless the thread was truly enlightening on BOTH sides of the spectrum. Obviously... I'm hoping for business-related stuff but... I'll take anything at this point as information is power. My fight for "independence" is broad so everything helps. Please also do note that I haven't bumped any threads as I see that annoys a lot of you.

:giggle:

Don't worry. It'd annoy me too. I'm just hoping that some of you would be willing to share with me. That Deaf business owner convention they had last year? Looks to be defunct now. Also, don't hesitate to PM me or ask for my email if you want to keep your identity or what you do to yourselves. I completely understand and I feel the same way too. This was posted in the general chat forum because this is all-inclusive. Does NOT have to apply to businesses. Random threads that help me understand how to best interact or deal with the hearing definitely apply! Funny stuff also applies! Shoot... FREE JILLIO threads apply too! Just whatever you think is best, ladies and gents.

:lol:

Any threads that has to do with turbos are cool :)

Seriously, what I do is more of a hobby. I have sold bikes for about 7 years. I've had about 3 deaf customers(ALL had CI). 2 of them signed. One did not. I think that the one that did not sign is late deafened. I did not ask anyone about CI. Those were long before I joined Alldeaf.com.

I've started to hang out on small business forums and also Deaf Business owners group on Facebook. Sometimes, I wonder if I want to turn what I do into a small business, but I don't know if I have the skill or dedication. Selling bikes is one thing. Running business is something else.

I'm glad you bought this thread. I'm always looking for more Deaf/deaf business minded people that I would share feedbacks with. You don't need to own a business. I do not. I would love to share positive feedbacks.

I disagree. Anybody who files a 1099 is officially doing their own business regardless of size or insurance. So, I do think deaf/Deaf do have their own businesses. In fact, given current technology, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot more Deaf/deaf businesses out there.

To answer the question: While the treads are very useful, I have to say it is the current conversations within the threads that are my favorite. This forum isn't a tomb so much as a live conversation. That fact is what keeps me coming back.

I disagree. Anybody who files a 1099 is officially doing their own business regardless of size or insurance. So, I do think deaf/Deaf do have their own businesses. In fact, given current technology, I wouldn't be surprised if there are a lot more Deaf/deaf businesses out there.

To answer the question: While the treads are very useful, I have to say it is the current conversations within the threads that are my favorite. This forum isn't a tomb so much as a live conversation. That fact is what keeps me coming back.

Yeah. I poorly worded that. I will try to re-word it a little better when I get home. I have NO DOUBT there are many out there. I'm not alone in this. It's why I posted.

:)

Agreed. There's nothing like talking about current happenings. If one wants to rehash or throw in some new thoughts, great! I'd love that! I'm also looking for information and research helps this. Its not a tomb but a wealth of information that one cannot get elsewhere.

I
Any threads that has to do with turbos are cool :)

Seriously, what I do is more of a hobby. I have sold bikes for about 7 years. I've had about 3 deaf customers(ALL had CI). 2 of them signed. One did not. I think that the one that did not sign is late deafened. I did not ask anyone about CI. Those were long before I joined Alldeaf.com.

I've started to hang out on small business forums and also Deaf Business owners group on Facebook. Sometimes, I wonder if I want to turn what I do into a small business, but I don't know if I have the skill or dedication. Selling bikes is one thing. Running business is something else.

I'm glad you bought this thread. I'm always looking for more Deaf/deaf business minded people that I would share feedbacks with. You don't need to own a business. I do not. I would love to share positive feedbacks.

I think what you do absolutelty counts on the basis that you do not specifically cater to the Deaf community. Trying to learn how to merge with the hearing world is challenging.

Damn right on it being something else! After a hard day's at work, I've got to go home, answer phones, solict new jobs, train employees, pay everybody, bills, shop, the list goes on and on.

No you do not need to own the business. As I stated to vacationguy, I poorly worded that. You just need a passion for what you do and are SERIOUS about following through with it and trying to make it work.

It really is something else! I'm also an operator so

Ignore that last sentence. I can't delete it due to my phone which I have already commented on in the BEST deaf phone thread.

:lol:

I have had customers who bought from me tell their friends---contact the text only guy if you want a bike. I guess that means I have a new nickname "text only guy".

I sell a lot to people who lives on texts. I'm sure you can guess who texts and who does not text. I try to cater to those that texts.

I am not anal enough to go reading years of threads. If it isn't new I am not looking. I see no reason to bring up an old topic. Especially if the last thread is 3 to 10 years old. I do hate when some ressurects an ooooold thread.
So... the best thread is the most current, views and info changes with time after all

Texting is the worse way of communicating according to this link....

Is it just me, or is texting the worst form of communication?

Yeah, it's hard to just rely on texts.

Definitely is. How I do it is like this... calls go straight to my cell phone and I basically ignore them and let the machine "pick it up". Once that happens, I immediately text it while I try to find an internet connection or a VP. I call then. Kinda limited but it's SOMETHING! Just recently, I've started using a call service so hopefully that will alleviate some of the attitudes that I saw in that thread. They meant no harm though. Just another barrier is all. We can knock it down.

BTW, I saw your post in the thread.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction. It's definitely going to be useful.

I'm sorry, I am HOH. Did you say "A little guy dance"

:dance2:

Definitely is. How I do it is like this... calls go straight to my cell phone and I basically ignore them and let the machine "pick it up". Once that happens, I immediately text it while I try to find an internet connection or a VP. I call then. Kinda limited but it's SOMETHING! Just recently, I've started using a call service so hopefully that will alleviate some of the attitudes that I saw in that thread. They meant no harm though. Just another barrier is all. We can knock it down.

BTW, I saw your post in the thread.

Thanks for pointing me in that direction. It's definitely going to be useful.

I'm glad you found that thread helpful.

When I get calls, I usually call back using Siprelay. Sometimes, they hang up. Sometimes, not.

Many people will call me and get no answer. When that happens,they would text me. Not everyone does, but some does.

Back