A little about me...

MimiMouse

Reaction score
Hello! I'm mimi.

I have been hard of hearing since my early childhood.

When I was little, My mother learned ASL and we sometimes used it to communicate but my Dad wanted me to go to a mainstream school, so I had to rely on lip reading and my limited hearing.

I took ASL classes in high school, and that's when I really learned about the community.

Everyone was so kind and patient and I really felt accepted.

My hearing has gotten worse since I was a child and I feel a lot of pressure from people in my life to 'get it fixed' ( except my mom and husband, they both know ASL and are very supportive.) I'm not the one who has an issue with my hearing- everyone else does.

I try to explain to them that I can communicate with ASL and if I lose all my hearing, I'll be just fine. and- they will too.

I've been having a lot of problems with the doctor - he is always pressuring me to have surgery and he belittles me for preferring ASL.

I'm here to get advice from other member and hopefully, get some support too- it's great to have my mom and husband's support- but they don't really understand what I'm going through.

I can't wait to chat with you all!

-Mimi

25tdjx2.gif

hello! I am new here too. everyone here is really nice so i am sure you won't have any trouble finding friends.

i am hearing but i am sure you'll find lots of supportive people here- they seem to be very sweet!

:welcome: to AllDeaf.

I would not worry with what the doctors or others feel. Tell the doctors you are content with the way you are, and to stop pressuring you.

Welcome to AD!

There are many who share similar experiences. About the doctor thing, I'd just try and change physicians if I were you. Though he may mean well, many doctors institute their own biases in their decisions and aren't enough of an advocate for their patients.

Having a hearing spouse that just doesn't understand enough or adaptive enough to their companion, it's unfortunate and inappropriate.

Welcome to AllDeaf! :thumb:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. I know how you feel about a doctor that want you to be hearing like him and your parents. They have no idea what is like to be deaf and you are use to it. Like hohDougRN made the suggestion that you need to change to another physician if you can find the right one that will make you happy and content to have the doctor on your side. Good luck. :fingersx:

I hope you have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around. :wave:

:wave: I told my doc for years that my ear hurt, drained, I had pressure in my head. He did scan and found small tumor. He said it was harmless. He was wrong. I saw another Dr. but it was 10 years later, the thing was almost into my brain. Now, I am deaf because I trusted the wrong Dr. I would not have more surgery. I think I would have died. Now, I fire Dr! Yes, fired him. He said people could not fire Dr. Ha! I am short. I stood on the chair so I could see his face, and fired him. He also asked now why I could not hear. That is just one good reason to fire him!!!

There is nothing "wrong" with deaf. Someone else said God blessed them, was it you? Well, I agree. No more chanel surfing husband fights, no more storms wake me up, no more boss yada - yada. Ha! I ask Him for Peace, and I now have some Peace. Happy me!

Hello! I'm mimi.

When I was little, My mother learned ASL and we sometimes used it to communicate but my Dad wanted me to go to a mainstream school, so I had to rely on lip reading and my limited hearing.

I took ASL classes in high school, and that's when I really learned about the community.

My hearing has gotten worse since I was a child and I feel a lot of pressure from people in my life to 'get it fixed' ( except my mom and husband, they both know ASL and are very supportive.) I'm not the one who has an issue with my hearing- everyone else does.

I try to explain to them that I can communicate with ASL and if I lose all my hearing, I'll be just fine. and- they will too.

I've been having a lot of problems with the doctor - he is always pressuring me to have surgery and he belittles me for preferring ASL.

I'm here to get advice from other member and hopefully, get some support too- it's great to have my mom and husband's support- but they don't really understand what I'm going through.

-Mimi
hello mimi, I'm new to ALLDEAF too, but i've been deaf for almost 3 years. Most of my communication relies on Lips reading. Not because i don't want to speak ASL. It's because ASL is not common in my country, indonesia. Very rare and expensive. Bydway, i already learn "LIPS" before being totally deaf. i don't use hearing aids too, coz it picks up everything, and the sound is not so clearly, like robots. It gave me danger while driveing on the street.

Bydway, i have a suggestion to you. Ihave you ever heard about accupunture method ? I think that will be useful for you. I tried it, and it gave me progress, because accupunture fixes your neuro system, including your hearing neuro system better. You can ask doctors for the best accupunture method at your residence.

Well, so nice to meet you. and may i add you friend ?

Welcome to AD! :welcome:

It's your choice if you want to remain in the soundless world! Not other people's (not even your doctor's!) It's your life, it's your body! If you don't want CI's and want to relay on ASL instead, so be it! People should accept your decisions and accept you the way you are!

And those words come from a fully hearing person :D

Jamie

Welcome to AD! :welcome:

It's your choice if you want to remain in the soundless world! Not other people's (not even your doctor's!) It's your life, it's your body! If you don't want CI's and want to relay on ASL instead, so be it! People should accept your decisions and accept you the way you are!

And those words come from a fully hearing person :D

Jamie

:gpost: Wow, that is a good choice for her to decide what she want to do with her life as a hard of hearing or deaf. This is her decision and no one should not interfere her life. Right one!!!! :thumb:

Thanks Bebonang, but that's what I am thinking for everybody!

Some people judge other people because they are dressed differently... so what? as long as it's clean and washed,... who cares? I don't...
Some people wear glasses (I do), some people have surgery. Friends try to encourage me to get eye-surgery, I don't want to! That's my choice! My eyes after all...

:D That's all I have to say to this...

Jamie

Hello! I'm mimi.

-Mimi

Send your doctor in here....btw, welcome to AD.

Back