A lengthy introduction...

I have good experiences at my local deaf/hoh center and also at the Deaf events I've gone to. I just took paper and pen also. I entered into it with a willingness to learn and to sign as best I could and I think attitude helps a lot.
There have always been many things about me that do not fit the "mainstream" so I don't hide anything, it is too tiring.

Welcome...

As a recent late deafened person I can completely relate to everything you are going through. I started losing my hearing at 28 (3 years ago) and progressed to somewhere close to where you are now....

Keep the chin up and take it one day at a time...you can gain a wealth of info here

Welcome! I worked with people that lost their hearing later in life and they had a very hard time getting use wearing hearing aids . I can understand you feeling the way you do. I hope you will find the answers you are looking for here so you can take the next step in your life. I been HOH all my life and I never was a part of a deaf community until I joined Alldeaf.

Yes, it is correct. I've had a few people try to get me to attend events in the area... But I don't know sign language, and I don't know anyone who could translate. I feel like I would be just as isolated at one of those events as I am elsewhere...

I guess I just feel like I don't belong anywhere at the moment.

I learned ASL at 25 years old and now I am 39 years old and it is the language I use daily. I did that by getting myself involved with the Deaf community. Gotta start somewhere.

I learned ASL at 25 years old and now I am 39 years old and it is the language I use daily. I did that by getting myself involved with the Deaf community. Gotta start somewhere.
Like shel90 - it is never too late to learn ASL :)

Every once and awhile I get the urge to start studying it, but I just end up getting frustrated and upset with it... And I just stop trying. It's happened to me several times now. :/

I can remember a few signs. But not much. Basic things like "Thank you".

Do you have someone who you feel comfortable with and someone who has interest in learning amercian sign language? if so, start with one partner from there and eventually both of you can attend to the deaf events. would that be helpful??

hey, just hang out here on alldeaf for a while. It will take you to see where you would like to be going. Just enjoy the alldeaf forum for now. Ok? :)

Every once and awhile I get the urge to start studying it, but I just end up getting frustrated and upset with it... And I just stop trying. It's happened to me several times now. :/

I can remember a few signs. But not much. Basic things like "Thank you".

I'm late-deafened and have been wearing HAs for about 13 years now.

Though I thought about learning ASL "back then", I put it off because of time/$$. I now have the time/$$ and my daughter (who does not have hearing loss) and I took ASL I are our local deaf school this past winter. We plan to take ASL II in the fall. I've been "bad" in that I have not been practicing. I will probably get out my textbook/DVD about a month before my next class to refresh my memory.

Immersion, as with any new language, is the best way to learn. Sign up for classes and then go to the deaf meets, etc.

Also, remember that ASL classes are not just for the deaf. My daughter and her friend are learning it because they want to and also think it will be a good thing to have for their careers (medical field for my daugther/childcare for her friend).

Don't feel guilty about your feelings, etc. It takes time to adjust and each person needs to adjust at their own pace. :hug:

KMnO4 First read all you can here. There is a lot of support in this group. In reading all the above I do not see any mention of CI. Looks to me like you have been hearing for a long time and the sudden loss is very noticeable and hard to take. My hearing went over a long time so was able to get a little used to it but eventually found myself in the situation your in now. When I went to get updated hearing aids a few years ago my Audi said they would not do any good and that I was a good candidate for Cochlear implant? I said " what is that"? I now have implant on both sides and am able to join in groups with bout 90% comprehension. Still a little rough on the edges with the phone but enjoy music and watch TV with others now and do fairly well. It takes time after you get them and I'm still gaining, only had left side about 4 months now and it is going slower or so it seems to me than the right side did. Still I'm not complaining and in last test at Audi my comprehension was slightly above 90% with both and just over 42% with left. That is still quite a bit better than it was with hearing aides. One must realize we are all different and do not all get the same results and maybe I'm one of the lucky ones but knowing what I do now I would do it over again in a heart beat. We live in a hearing world and in U.S. English is still the language but we are being taken over by Spanish. By far the majority of people are hearing so it makes sense that one is at a disadvantage if one can not hear. Wife is Chinese and learning English. She is at quite a disadvantage here but improving and of course when in China I'm at a tremendous disadvantage. Just examples of disadvantages when one does not quite fit in. I'm probably going to get some flak on that but its the way it is. Wife talks to her friends in Chinese but not all that many around here and so speaks mostly English with our friends. Of course I do not understand much at all when her friends are here. Grand kids are bi lingual and a distinct advantage as wife and their mother speak to them in Chinese all the time and they were born in U.S.A. so speak fluent English. Same advantage to those that are fluent in ASL and hearing language. This has gotten entirely too long but maybe will give you some ideas and things to look into. By the way CI's are covered by Medicare if that is a possibility? Possibly something to look into? Best of luck and chin UP :)

Do you have someone who you feel comfortable with and someone who has interest in learning amercian sign language? if so, start with one partner from there and eventually both of you can attend to the deaf events. would that be helpful??

hey, just hang out here on alldeaf for a while. It will take you to see where you would like to be going. Just enjoy the alldeaf forum for now. Ok? :)

How have you been studying ASL? A class might be a great place to start rather than doing it on your own via internet, or with one friend (easier for you to cancel sessions)...in a classroom setting, you might be less likely to cancel classes, and you could meet new people and everyone would be on the same level as you in learning sign language so you could practice by interacting with them first. Then when your confidence in increases, you could attend one of the Deaf Community events with a friend from class?

Another thought... I understand many oral students go to Gallaudet University and they learn sign language really quickly and you could meet others who are in a similar situation as you are.

Good luck with your journey...

KMnO4 First read all you can here. There is a lot of support in this group. In reading all the above I do not see any mention of CI. Looks to me like you have been hearing for a long time and the sudden loss is very noticeable and hard to take. My hearing went over a long time so was able to get a little used to it but eventually found myself in the situation your in now. When I went to get updated hearing aids a few years ago my Audi said they would not do any good and that I was a good candidate for Cochlear implant? I said " what is that"? I now have implant on both sides and am able to join in groups with bout 90% comprehension. Still a little rough on the edges with the phone but enjoy music and watch TV with others now and do fairly well. It takes time after you get them and I'm still gaining, only had left side about 4 months now and it is going slower or so it seems to me than the right side did. Still I'm not complaining and in last test at Audi my comprehension was slightly above 90% with both and just over 42% with left. That is still quite a bit better than it was with hearing aides. One must realize we are all different and do not all get the same results and maybe I'm one of the lucky ones but knowing what I do now I would do it over again in a heart beat. We live in a hearing world and in U.S. English is still the language but we are being taken over by Spanish. By far the majority of people are hearing so it makes sense that one is at a disadvantage if one can not hear. Wife is Chinese and learning English. She is at quite a disadvantage here but improving and of course when in China I'm at a tremendous disadvantage. Just examples of disadvantages when one does not quite fit in. I'm probably going to get some flak on that but its the way it is. Wife talks to her friends in Chinese but not all that many around here and so speaks mostly English with our friends. Of course I do not understand much at all when her friends are here. Grand kids are bi lingual and a distinct advantage as wife and their mother speak to them in Chinese all the time and they were born in U.S.A. so speak fluent English. Same advantage to those that are fluent in ASL and hearing language. This has gotten entirely too long but maybe will give you some ideas and things to look into. By the way CI's are covered by Medicare if that is a possibility? Possibly something to look into? Best of luck and chin UP :)
Rampratt,

In the future, you may want to break down posts like the above into several paragraphs to make it more readable to others. A new paragraph enables the reader to pause before moving on to the next. Just some constructive advice. That's all.

Honestly, is there really much point to going to those events if you can't sign? I'm not sure it would be helpful for me at all to try to get involved in the deaf community in DC, if it would just leave me more frustrated than I was before.

I was born severely-deaf, raised oral and mainstreamed, knew nothing about the Deaf Community until 2 years ago. I first went to the Deaf Society and introduced myself. They told me about the coffee events and bistro dinners. I started attending. However, before I went to my first coffee chat I got up online and learned a few basic signs. Mostly how to introduce myself and tell my story. That is the most important part.

I didn't try to converse in sign much at first go, I mostly spent the first few meets observing the interactions, getting to know names and who was who. I learned quickly that way. I also noticed there were sign language students (hearing) who also attended these meets. Unfortunately, a good majority of them, tuned out and read a newspaper or book. (Very rude). Even if you feel awkward, you are not out of place, stick it out to the end. You will make friends that way.

Sign language is more than just understanding the handshapes, it is a total visual experience. You read facial expressions and body language and surroundings. If you take all that into account, you can get the general idea of the conversation and can follow along quite easily even as a beginner.

Just remember to use the signs as you learn them, even if you have to make up conversation out of the blue. Even if you only get to use one or two signs (Yes, no, I'm fine etc) Use them. You need to start somewhere. You'll find there will be people who will 'take you under their wing' as long as you put in some effort.

KMn04

I am curious as to how your hearing rates when you use the hearing aids....I assume the numbers you posted were unaided....I get the feeling from your post that you dont get much help from them...

It is possible a CI might be an option if you can get it paid for as I'm sure being a Grad student isnt the best paying....Of course a CI should be a last resort as there is no going back afterwards

Just remember to use the signs as you learn them, even if you have to make up conversation out of the blue. Even if you only get to use one or two signs (Yes, no, I'm fine etc) Use them. You need to start somewhere. You'll find there will be people who will 'take you under their wing' as long as you put in some effort.

I think that's one of the hardest things for me. I don't have any roommates, and I don't really have any friends. I'm not sure who I would sign with. I do have a friend online who said he would learn it with me, so I guess I'll try to keep up with it over Skype.

I really appreciate all of the advice and kind words you all have offered me in this thread. It's unbelievably relieving to have people who understand where I am coming from. I haven't met anyone thus far who does.

I think that's one of the hardest things for me. I don't have any roommates, and I don't really have any friends. I'm not sure who I would sign with. I do have a friend online who said he would learn it with me, so I guess I'll try to keep up with it over Skype.

I really appreciate all of the advice and kind words you all have offered me in this thread. It's unbelievably relieving to have people who understand where I am coming from. I haven't met anyone thus far who does.

Just to clarify, when learning signs, practice in the mirror until you feel comfortable with them. Use them whenever you go to the Deaf events and meets, go as often as you can. Even if all you know is Yes, and No. You can still participate however minutely. Use what you know, then it will eventually be easier. Another way is to arrange to meet a new Deaf friend (from the meets) on a regular basis inbetween. It takes time and effort to learn any language, but the main thing here is that you are mixing with people who understand you more than anyone else would.

Spend time here on AD too, it helps a lot in the transitional phase because you get to know a lot of us who are of the Deaf Community here as well and you can learn a lot from here. AD has become a firm support system for me over these past 2 years and I know that it can be the same for you too. We are here for you. :D

Just keep learning, never give up
I have taken up few years full time practising my ASL Skills before I went to U.S for three weeks and my skills paid off. :D

I was late start to oral on I was 5 yrs but too late, I have reason issues pretty complication my deaf tutorial professional career help me teach me adjust to me improve strong ASL! I was late fever on lose hearing I was 2 or 5 yrs not sure
I think so fever high and weak my brain pretty not enough seems on, audiology said told me! I was hard to learn it ESL, I was 12 yrs I learn it ASL change adjust to improve skills lots of better clear!

Hi KMn04
I have also been reluctant to join AllDeaf, but today I decided to.
I have a congenital Hearing Loss, I have since I was young. I understand your frustration, feeling like you belong in the hearing world because that is where you have lived all your life (Earth - relating to the ear) and now you find your body traveling to eyeth (relating to the eye) and you don't know how to stop it, you aren't sure if you should embrace it... you are petrified. I am there with you... not belonging to either world.

I also was very reluctant to get assistance from my college with my hearing, for the first 2 years of my degree I refused it, just as i refused to let anyone know that i was HoH. It took so much more effort to try and read their lips, to try and understand what the professor was saying, so on. Let me tell you from personal experience, once you get assistance from your school, learning is much easier. I was scared that people would think I was the deaf freak... the one that couldn't understand the professor, so I didn't get the help. Some people did think that, but most of them were actually just curious. Depending on what aids you have, you can actually get an RF transmitter, normally provided by the school, so that learning is easier, that you actually get the information from your professors. Don't let other peoples opinions get you down.

Also, I understand the fact you are only 23, and this is a scary time for you, I am 22, so I can relate on more than just the Hearing loss level, I understand our generation. if you ever want to talk, feel free to email me, or skype me. I am trying to learn ASL, and would love to have someone to practice with, I don't know anyone in my community (Denver, CO) that is deaf or HoH. So even if you don't want to practice ASL, I would love to just chat with you, even if it is over skype im.

My hearing loss is currently around ~75(L) and ~95(R) unaided and ~35(L) and ~55(R) aided. let me know if you want to talk.

Back