A lengthy introduction...

KMnO4

Reaction score
Hello. I have been lurking around this community for some time, and have finally decided to join.

I am 23 years old. 2 years ago, I began to lose my hearing very rapidly. There is a genetic history of hearing loss on my father's side of the family. Some of his relatives were born deaf. Most of his cousins (and him) just started experiencing hearing loss around their 30's. The onset of my hearing loss has been MUCH more rapid and much earlier in life than any of them. This could have possibly been exacerbated when I was an infant due to having surgery on both of my ears at 8 months. I had to get tubes put into my ears for an ear infection issue. I have a bilateral hearing loss to the tune of (for simplicities sake) about 90% hearing loss in my left ear, and ~80% in my right ear. It's very likely that in the next few years I could lose it entirely.

I haven't been handling it well. Over the course of the past 2 years I have gone to great lengths to hide my hearing loss. I see a speech therapist regularly to try to retain 'typical' sounding speech. I've had friends, family, doctors, and therapists pushing me to learn sign language. I have (quite angrily) refused to do it. I have had several people try to get me involved in local events/social groups for those with hearing impairments. I don't want to attend. I cover my hearing aids with my hair. I've gotten quite reclusive; Refusing to go out to restaurants or gatherings with friends, as I can't hear them over the din. I am also very, very bad at reading lips. I'm a BioChemistry graduate student, and am refusing to accept any sort of disability services at the college.

Needless to say, I can't go on like this. I'm reaching my breaking point. I'm frustrated all of the time, I'm angry all of the time, and I'm alone all of the time. But I am really, truly having a difficult time embracing this and moving forward with my life.

I hope that no one here will take offense to my anger/rejection toward my situation. I know that many people here very much embrace it... Which is why I am here. I find myself unable to take steps in a better direction in person. Perhaps I'm too stubborn, perhaps I'm too proud. So this is my first step. I feel more comfortable interacting, expressing myself, and asking for help over the internet. You guys are my first stepping stone.

I can only hope my interaction in this community will help me adjust.

~KMnO4

Welcome.

Just take your time to read this whole forum that some of those issues in the threads you may agree with or not. at least you told how you felt about your hearing loss that is a big step for you. So this forum is mixed with people who have hearing losses over years and some of us who are born profoundly deaf have both different impact of experiences lifes. Keep your mind open and find in your own comfort zone where you are at.

enjoy your surfing around this forum.

:wave:...welcome aboard....there are many of us who are "late deafened", and have shared their stories here....so I understand where you are coming from......no worries!

Stick around....you'll be surprised and loving this AD....we're here for ya! :wave:

Wow, does this sound familiar. Welcome to the world of LDA. (late deafened adults)

There are many members here, including me, that have traveled the same road. Feeling that you belong to no world is hard. Not deaf, not hearing. I had friends that quickly faded out because I was HOH suddenly, and they could not figure out what to do with me. That part made the depression and fear rise up in me. I think it is natural to feel fear and depression when you lose something as familiar as the ability to hear. You are thrust into a world you are not comfortable with.

I would recommend reading this thread: http://www.alldeaf.com/our-world-our-culture/62953-adjustment-late-onset-deafness.html

welcome to Alldeaf
I might be where you are right now but I'm kinda more in the 70's to 80's since I have a severe loss now.

I appreciate the warm welcomes, everyone.

And saywhatkid, thank you for that link. I have been reading through it.

Welcome from a fellow mutant! :wave:

I completely understand what you're going through. You've come to the right place for support. Hope that you find AD helpful on your journey. :D

Welcome to AD! I hope this is the place for you and I'm sure you'll find a lot of people who have or are going thru the same thing you are. :wave:

:welcome: and I see in your avatar that you live in DC. Is that correct? If so, there is a HUGE deaf community in DC.

:welcome: and I see in your avatar that you live in DC. Is that correct? If so, there is a HUGE deaf community in DC.

Yes, it is correct. I've had a few people try to get me to attend events in the area... But I don't know sign language, and I don't know anyone who could translate. I feel like I would be just as isolated at one of those events as I am elsewhere...

I guess I just feel like I don't belong anywhere at the moment.

Welcome to AD, enjoy your stay.

D.C is the area where a large population od deaf people living there. I've been there and seen it myself (I'm australian) ...This AD forum will help you understand better about yourself :)

Cheers

This place is a great stepping stone. When I was at the rare function where there were deaf people who signed, I felt too shy to go up to them and weird too because I'm deaf like them yet I couldn't talk to them. But, hopefully this place will show you that we're more alike than we think :) We may have very different views but we all have one thing in common, we have some degree of hearing loss. So we do understand where you're coming from.
My family used to tell me to go see a therapist to deal with my frustrations. And I was like what? you want me to relate to a therapist who cannot relate to me? What I need is to talk to someone who understands what I'm going through.

And it does help alot when you meet people who you don't have to explain yourself to, they know, they can empathize.

You're going through a rough time right now, my heart goes out to you.

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Just take a deep breath and relax. You will get through having to learn about deafness, Deaf Culture and learn to live in silence. If you have a hearing aid or hearing aids so that you can hear sounds (not accurate, just noises). Just take one day at a time to get adjust, even if you lose hearing loss 2 years ago, There is lot of topics that you might be interest in and discuss with us about your opinions. :)

Have fun reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

When I was at the rare function where there were deaf people who signed, I felt too shy to go up to them and weird too because I'm deaf like them yet I couldn't talk to them. But, hopefully this place will show you that we're more alike than we think :)

Honestly, is there really much point to going to those events if you can't sign? I'm not sure it would be helpful for me at all to try to get involved in the deaf community in DC, if it would just leave me more frustrated than I was before.

Honestly, is there really much point to going to those events if you can't sign? I'm not sure it would be helpful for me at all to try to get involved in the deaf community in DC, if it would just leave me more frustrated than I was before.

You would learn to sign pretty fast if it was of interest to you.

The deaf community is the best place to start! Go in person to the local deaf/hoh organization and introduce yourself. Explain your situation and ask for help. They will be happy to help you, I'm sure. They usually have all kinds of resources and classes and activities. and p.s. they're friendly even if you don't know ASL :)

My local center helps all kinds of people from mainstreamed oral to non-mainstreamed asl only to late-deafened to CIs implanted/oral the list goes on. They don't just cater to signing deaf only. They offer help to everyone who has a hearing problem. Like you. That's what they're there for.

Take a chance and go in person to your local deaf center. You might be very pleasantly surprised! :)

Back