A Law Review of Cued Speech in Educational Settings

No? then what was that in post #63?

Did I say cued speech is a language? No. One native cuer said that Cued English is a language which is why I said go ask Netrox his opinion on that.

I'm sure it is alot like a language to them. I'm sure if they taught me, I could cue just like them and I don't have to use any hearing at all. Actually, I don't know if they really use their hearing at all for it and if it just purely visual for them.

How many Cuers do you know personally? Have you seen any kids who use Cued speech? I do. They are doing wonderfully with zero language delay.
WHAT.THE.FUCK?
I AM NOT criticzing CS as a teaching tool. I think its a good method.
ALL I said is that its exactly like hooked on phonics vs a whole language approach. SHEESH!

Not anyone's fault if they don't actually go out of their own city and travel across the country or abroad. :D Anyone can do that.

Yup. In europe we have had cued systems for centuries.

I'm sure it is alot like a language to them. I'm sure if they taught me, I could cue just like them and I don't have to use any hearing at all. Actually, I don't know if they really use their hearing at all for it and if it just purely visual for them.

I have a friend who used to cue. I knew nothing about cueing until I met him. He basically described it as a visual form to express various sounds. He has an implant and can hear fairly well with it (his words, not mine), and doesn't feel the need to have a transcriber in class to cue for him anymore.

He told me that if he taught me how to cue, we would be able to communicate in the pool, where he would have no implant, and I would have no hearing aids--thus with both of us hearing hardly anything. However, with our devices on, we can both hear at least a little bit, so we could associate the sound with the gesture and know what the other is "saying." But for a deafie with no implant, aids, etc., I'm not sure how it would work. I do not know enough about it to say anything for certain, but that's all I know as far as associating hearing with the gestures.

P.S. I don't think CS is a language. It seems to be to be more like how English can be spoken and written. CS is just a given language put into gestured form. It can be used to symbolize any language (from what my friend said), so it is not its own language.

I have never know a hearing person to discourage gestures in their children (other than pointing in a way that is considered rude). What exactly are you talking about in that regard?
What's that oral school in Oregon that doesn't even let kids tap each other on the shoulder to get their attention?

I realize that I'm entering this discussion a few months late, but I was forwarded this thread by a friend of mine. There are many statements being made here that are misinformed and highly biased.

A few facts:

Cued Speech is, in fact, NOT a language and nobody informed has claimed that it is.

Cued Speech visually conveys the existing languages of the land or of those who choose to use it. It is not referred to as The Cued Language or The Cued Speech. Cued Speech is the name of the overall system itself. Cued Language is the product of Cued Speech. "Cued Language" is an identical figure of speech as the terms "Spoken Language", "Written Language", "Signed Language", or even "Captioned Language".

Another way to look at it is that speech is what we use to create spoken language. Writing is what we do to create written language. We cue to create cued language, therefore Cued Speech is the system we use to convey cued language...

The goal of Cued Speech is to provide deaf people with an accurate visual model of any Language that utilizes consonant-vowel phonemic pairings. English, Spanish, French, German, and most global languages fall under this category.

Cued Speech proponents do NOT intend to attempt to replace ASL.

Cued Speech, despite the inclusion of Speech in the name, is NOT intended to teach deaf people to speak or mold them into a hearing person's idea of "curing" deaf people. There is a long-running question of Cued Speech vs. Cued Language. The fact of the matter is, the people who have been working and living with Cued Speech have become accustomed to calling it Cued Speech.

Do adult deaf people who do not have an accurate model of English have a difficult time learning how to cue without getting frustrated? Yes, completely understandably so. But over time, if they are interested in doing so, they can learn the correct English pronunciations, models, and idiosyncracies.

Those who describe Cued Speech as "a visual form of expressing sounds" are describing it from the perspective of Spoken Language. The most common use of English is by sounding it out. However, actual sound is not necessary in order to have or convey an accurate understanding of the English model (or Spanish, French, or most other languages) and Cued Speech allows the visual exposure to those models.

I am deaf and I grew up with only Cued Speech. I had speech therapy growing up and currently use spoken language as my primary form of communication. Is my speech perfect? No, but it is very understandable and that's my goal. Are my English skills sufficient? You tell me. Should deaf people have the tools to access to all languages? I believe so, but I won't make the choice for you. Should everyone make their own choices? Absolutely.

I am happy to answer any questions anyone may have and please don't hesitate to ask or speak your minds. :)

Last edited:
Back