A hate crime....

vandalism is a simple and random act of lawlessness.

example - some hoodlums went out to knock out mailboxes, spraypaint walls, break a few windows, and crack some windshields. When they get caught, they'll get a slap on their wrists and pay fines... do some community service. The damage they inflicted is a headache for all because we have to fix it up. Everybody moves on and get on with their lives.

now... when a group of hoodlums went out to specifically target a racial group such as African-American people or Jewish people by vandalizing their establishments such as synagogues, homes, cars, etc. When they get caught, they'll too get a slap on their wrists and pay fines... do some community service. However, the damage they inflicted is a real, terrifying fear because they can simply get off the hook again and most likely not get caught because they knew better what to do. Everybody cannot move on and get on with their lives because they live with fear and must watch their behinds everyday while police officers shrug and say - "just call me when something happens".
Just in case. no one gets this.. It's vandalism if you spray graffiti that has no political message on the building.

If you spray Kike or Niggar on it it's a hate crime because the intent is to degrade and spread fear among the minority community by spraying hateful words building owned by the Jewish or the African American community.

Oh, sorry deafskeptic. True, I tend to lean towards Rands marketplace solutions.

And I do like her books very much. My favorite is Anthem.

I don't care much for her.I have Voice of Reason by Ayn Rand somewhere in my apt.

Equal justice means murder is murder. Theft is theft. Violence is violence.

Not one single human being is more valuable than another, regardless of motive.

I will gladly address your points if you point me to them. This thread has become very, very long!

but equal justice is not applied. that's the problem.

Just in case. no one gets this.. It's vandalism if you spray graffiti that has no political message on the building.

If you spray Kike or Niggar on it it's a hate crime because the intent is to degrade and spread fear among the minority community by spraying hateful words building owned by the Jewish or the African American community.

Ok, the building doesn't nescessarilly need to be owned by someone who's in the Jewish or the African American community. :P

My interpretation of hate crime is a bit different. I am in favor of laws to protect blacks from being intimidated by cross burning men with sheets over their heads. That is a hate crime to me. A swastika painted on the Jewish family's car is more than simple vandalism.

I agree. Those usually fall under terroristic threat

Terroristic Threat

What is a terroristic threat?

Terroristic Threat is a penal code offense (Section 22.07). A person commits the offense of Terroristic Threat if he or she threatens to commit any offense involving violence to any person or property with the intent to place a person in fear of imminent serious bodily injury. Penalty: Class B misdemeanor.

https://www.oag.state.tx.us/victims/stalking.shtml

You know what's interesting in this era of our generation? Playing between the lines.

I've seen people circumvent "racism" by intentionally making the definition discreet on purpose. Like for example, say a thread about a black guy who gets jailed for something.
This person would say "Such a niggardly person, it was all in due case."

In the context, niggardly does not mean the n word at all, if you look up the definition. It is a legit term. But people can with a sense can obviously tell that an insult was hurled.

Such is what our society has became to. :hmm:

You know what's interesting in this era of our generation? Playing between the lines.

I've seen people circumvent "racism" by intentionally making the definition discreet on purpose. Like for example, say a thread about a black guy who gets jailed for something.

In the context, niggardly does not mean the n word at all, if you look up the definition. It is a legit term. But people can with a sense can obviously tell that an insult was hurled.

Unfortunately. I remember a flap over that word sometimes in the late 80s and the early 90s.

it's become a bit more subtle.

So then, manslughter and first degree murder should both carry life imprisonment or death penalty. Your logic.

Petty theft and grand theft should carry the same sentence.

Of course not!

I would ask you why manslaughter or murder of a protected class is more punishable than that of a non protected class?

If I was beaten on the street half to death, does it matter the motive?

Whether it was for drug money, the color of my skin, or just for fun like a flash mob, sentences should be dished out the same.

The idea of placing more or less importance on a human is THE VERY definition of inequality!

You're telling me one human is worth more than another.

but equal justice is not applied. that's the problem.

I very much agree with you, DeafCaroline.

But I see the problem as being due to poverty. In other words poverty creates crime. And poverty prevents poor people from hiring lawyers so they're stuck with public defenders.

I blame the never ending cycle of poverty. Hope that clears things up :lol:

I have already shown how it doesn't. You are entitled to your opinion.

My opinion is not needed. and there's a reason why what you have already shown how it doesn't lacks any merit in argument. that's why hate crime law passed and it's not going to change anytime soon nor probably ever! :lol:

Equal justice means murder is murder. Theft is theft. Violence is violence.

Not one single human being is more valuable than another, regardless of motive.

I will gladly address your points if you point me to them. This thread has become very, very long!

you're looking at what was committed but you're not looking at how they're being punished specifically who.

Of course not!

I would ask you why manslaughter or murder of a protected class is more punishable than that of a non protected class?

Whether it was for drug money, the color of my skin, or just for fun like a flash mob, sentences should be dished out the same.

The idea of placing more or less importance on a human is THE VERY definition of inequality!

What protected class are you referring to? There is only one protected class in this nation.

And you aretll avoiding the posts I have repeatedly addressed to you.

Of course not!

Minorities, Jews, the disabled are more vulnerable and susceptible as targets for abuse and violence. Several times, I've seen deliberate confrontations between whites and Hasidic Jews. Random hateful targetting that is tormenting Jews, both adults and children alike. It's not funny for a Hasidic child to fall off his bike and have a hard fall on the edge of a curb because some white guy thinks it's funny to swerve his car at him.

There needs to be harsher punishment doled out to those abuse, torment and kill others just because others were gay, black, woman, disabled. If society at large sees that bigotry is not well tolerated, it will re-think twice before making someone a scapegoat/punching bag.

Motives are ALWAYS taken under consideration in court. So motives do matter. An individual who abused one guy over a fight is very different from an individual who intentionally targets gays, minorities and/or the disabled upon whom to inflict harm.

Food for thought... isn't hate crime somewhat of a premeditated crime?

I very much agree with you, DeafCaroline.

But I see the problem as being due to poverty. In other words poverty creates crime. And poverty prevents poor people from hiring lawyers so they're stuck with public defenders.

I blame the never ending cycle of poverty. Hope that clears things up :lol:

Might want to add racism to that list.

Back