A Good Dorm Room Store

jakeman

Reaction score
I'm tired of the dorm stuff I bought from Walmart and Target, it's junk and all falling apart. Is there a place I can go to buy high quality stuff that will last and place I can find cool dorm stuff?

Suggestions

I'm not in college but here's a few suggestions:

Home Depot
BJs Wholesale/Cosco
Bed Bath and Beyond
Unfinished furniture stores
Music stores sometimes will sell unfinished wooden boxy shelves. Mine has lasted for years.
Yard sales in "wealthy" neighborhoods - you should see the stuff rich people consider junk

Some people in New England will swear by Building 19 though I think they sell junk
Go to outlet stores. They sell things cheaper than in the regular chain stores.

If you live near a college, go to a department that has a grad program. People come and go often and try to sell their stuff quick and cheap.

Some people in New England will swear by Building 19 though I think they sell junk
They do have some junky sctuff....but they have a lot of good stuff too!

Try PBTeen...

www.pbteen.com

They have great stuff - a bit expensive, but long-lasting and can be moved to an apartment or home later on.

I like some of the stuff...heh heh.

You probably got the wrong stuff from Walmart. I have a lot of stuff from Walmart and I've had it for years. I did buy a few dorm stuff from expensive stores cuz they were supposedly "high-quality". However, they only lasted 6 months.

also it depends on what kind of wood, structure and materials.

cheap quality of wood won't last long and they break easy such as wood that is chipped into small peices and put together like its 1 hard woodboard.

also it depends how u take care of it.. how u move it, etc high humidity ruins the wood quality..

I suggest IKEA, they have good space saving furniture for your dorm. If you got IKEA nearby, you're lucky to check it out. :)

NO Ikea in Rochester...the closeset is Pittsburgh, PA or Tronoto, Canada! UGH! I wish they build one here...oh well!

Tostitos said:
IKEA, if there's one nearby

Mama2AFTIV said:
NO Ikea in Rochester...the closeset is Pittsburgh, PA or Tronoto, Canada! UGH! I wish they build one here...oh well!

It would be nice if they build an IKEA in Rochester. But there's one in Burlington, Canada... approx 2 1/2 to 3 hours from Rochester. Went there once and parking was terrible but worth the drive.

RIT already has furniture in the dorms so I don't see any point of going out and buying expensive stuff. :dunno:

VamPyroX said:
RIT already has furniture in the dorms so I don't see any point of going out and buying expensive stuff. :dunno:

yah u are right, dorm room have furnitures same as residence in deaf schools. but i like to decorate the dorm room as my type not boring room etc.. and i am sure there are tons of other people who feel the same as me.

When i go to residence school for the last 7 yrs, i always decorate my room with posters, cute stuff animals, pictures of my family and pets, assessories, etc etc to make it look more like home.

darkangel8603 said:
yah u are right, dorm room have furnitures same as residence in deaf schools. but i like to decorate the dorm room as my type not boring room etc.. and i am sure there are tons of other people who feel the same as me.

When i go to residence school for the last 7 yrs, i always decorate my room with posters, cute stuff animals, pictures of my family and pets, assessories, etc etc to make it look more like home.
Small accessories is good. More furniture is a no-no. :nono: That's my opinion. I've seen students bring extra furniture. However, it becomes a pain in the ass when moving out cuz they are either going home or moving to an apartment. When they move to an apartment, it's usually for the summer and they start to believe that they will actually stay there so they get more furniture. By the end of the summer, the realize they aren't... and now have too much shit to move around. Blah!

For me, the only furniture I have is a couple of small shelves for my DVDs. That's it. :thumb:

Back