A glove that talks

Ellie

Reaction score
About 6 months to a year ago I read something about a glove that someone was making that as a person signed it would say what was being sign. Has anyone heard about this or know anything about it? I know that it was going to be about $200 when it hit the market, and then I never heard anything else about it. I tried to serch for it on the internet, but never could findanything else

Still hasn't come out yet. Lots of claims, but not enough technology to implement it for $200 a person. Don't expect to see it for a long time yet.

Ellie said:
About 6 months to a year ago I read something about a glove that someone was making that as a person signed it would say what was being sign. Has anyone heard about this or know anything about it? I know that it was going to be about $200 when it hit the market, and then I never heard anything else about it. I tried to serch for it on the internet, but never could findanything else

Excerpt from Deafweekely July 13, 2005

'ACCELEGLOVE' TRANSLATES SIGN LANGUAGE INTO SPEECH OR TEXT

The CIO in Singapore reported Friday on the development of the AcceleGlove, a device based on sensor technology that translates American Sign Language into speech. The device is a glove lined on the inside with sensors called "accelerometers" that can measure acceleration and translate finger and hand movements. Attachments for the elbow and shoulder capture ASL signs made with full arm motion. Algorithms in the glove's software translate the hand gestures into words that can be relayed through speech synthesizers or read on a PDA-size computer screen. Inventor Jose Hernandez-Rebollar started with a single glove that could only translate the manual alphabet. Now, the device has two gloves and the potential for a 1,000-word vocabulary. One of the biggest hurdles has been translation speed ("Experienced signers sign really fast," said the inventor) and has been solved in part by using intelligent predictors, software that can predict the word a signer might use next. Hernandez-Rebollar is now getting a patent and expects to pitch the product to potential investors by the end of this summer.

Ellie said:

Yes, I already know out there but don't know where to get one. It been develop that last time I heard when I was 10 years old that which was 1990. My interpreter disagreed with that because that program doesn't know how to express from our feel to tell another people who is impaire sign.

Back