A funny TTY Call Story, but true

Serendipity

Reaction score
There was a deaf girl, about age 14. She was attending a deaf school. Like many deaf students, her english was so behind than most kids her age. She sometimes keep in contact with her family via TTD or TTY. So, one night she decided to call home to see how things were. She and her mom were talking about stuffs and there was a word choice involved, based on the decision on whatever they were talking about. This girl typed down, "UP YOURS".

"WHAT DID YOU SAY?!" her mom typed back swiftly.

"UP YOURS" typed the deaf girl as she was trying to explain clearly.

"THAT'S IT! YOU'RE GROUNDED!" her mom got pissed by what her daughter have said to her, especially on the TTY. This poor girl tried to explain that she didn't do anything, she was clearly trying to find right way to emphasize stuffs. Unfortunately, her mom didn't listen. She later went home for the weekend and faced her angry mom. Without discussion, the girl was grounded.

Anyways, few years later as she was getting older, her english has improved. So was her comphrension, she finally came to the fact this phrase "UP YOURS" is an insult. She asked her mom if her mom remembered the conversation one night on the TTY.

"Yes, what about it?" said the mom, as she was becoming a little paranoid.

"Ok, you should know that what I have said was no intention. What I really meant was, "IT IS UP TO YOU"". It's clearly a message that you should make a decision, right?

"Oh, you didn't mean it, did you?" mom said. She felt bad afterwards.

"This was a big typo. I was younger and I don't understand stuffs and what they really mean. I know about that and I'm sorry".

"No, I am the one who should apologize for everything".

Funny stuff. :lol:

Aww...so now the mother knows that it was not her fault because her language was not developed yet...poor her!!

LOL poor girl.. dang.. too bad she was grounded for small misunderstanding over bad english. ha.. but its funny! heh.. :lol:

Funny story, but Mom should have been more understanding and receptive of her daughter's subpar english. I fault the mom in this situation.

Back