A friendly hello

FFHavoK

Reaction score
Hi there

A little about me and why I am here... Well, I am a 20 year old firefighter in Frederick, MD. I am in college getting a degree in Pre-Medicine - I want to be a physician's assistant eventually. I am very active in my community, and always like to meet new people and learn new things... This brings me to why I am here. As I said, I am a firefighter in Frederick, Maryland, and Maryland School for the Deaf is in my response area. I am hearing, and before recently I knew very little ASL. To be honest, I had not had many interactions with the Deaf community (other than playing sports against MSD in grade school). Upon my joining the city fire department, I ran a lot of calls on or around MSD, and we also do standby's at there football games. I met a lot of really nice people, and realized what a great community the Deaf community in the area is. There is honestly nobody at my firehouse who speaks much ASL past "what is your name", and I am honestly sad to say that. I decided to learn what I can not only of the language, but of the Deaf community itself. I have taken an introductory ASL course, and am taking another class for it this spring in college.

My goal in life, and the reason I am going to medical school, is to make a difference in as many people's lives as I can. I want to do so in as many forms as I can as well. Going to football standbys this fall and not being able to carry on a basic conversation with these wonderful people who gather 2 blocks from where I run fire/EMS calls was unacceptable to me, and I want to change that.

So given all that, here I am to learn from everyone here at AD, to interact with everyone, and most importantly, to make friends.

I hope that this is alright, and really hope to get to know some of you great people
:wave:

:welcome: to AllDeaf forum. Enjoy reading and posting all the threads here. See you around here. :wave:

fine I'll be the one to say it... MMM Firemen teehee kidding Hi!! Be nice to Matajan, and you'll do well. I'm new thats the only advice I have...

Thanks for the warm welcomes. I'm glad to have found this place and look forward to contributing.

Also, very funny blank canvas :-P and thanks for the advise

Wirelessly posted

Hello, welcome to AD, I am recent graduate medical assistant who is slightly fluent in ASL and my goal is to make a difference in the community. Keep it up!

Hey there Oceanblue7. Thanks for the warm welcome. Congratulations on graduating as a medical assistant. I am sure you are happy about that. Having a goal to make a difference is always a good one. I wish you good luck in doing that. Hope to talk more with you about that in the future! :)

Hello and :welcome: to AD! I live here in MD. :)

Hello and :welcome: to AD! I live here in MD. :)

Thanks, shel :wave:

Oh really? Near MSD? (if you don't mind my asking) I was hoping to meet some local people on here. It's a great area, and I love to serve the people and make new friends in this community.

Thanks, shel :wave:

Oh really? Near MSD? (if you don't mind my asking) I was hoping to meet some local people on here. It's a great area, and I love to serve the people and make new friends in this community.

I live in the Baltimore area...I dont go to Frederick much but I do have a few friends who live there.

Very cool. Looks like there's a few people from around the surrounding area. Nice to meet everyone :)

i used to live in frederick:) i used to go to the banner school and then later i moved to hagerstown:) now i live up in canada

One of my best friends went to banner school. Wow, from frederick to canada. That's a big change haha

Back