A First For Me!

Lantana

Reaction score
Today I went to the post office to mail a package. As usual, they showed me all kinds of options -- all the way from the cheapest to the most expensive. On the very top was "Media for the blind material". I told the postmaster that actually it was a book for the DEAF, "Deaf Media Material", and I received a cheap enough rate, so I am not complaining. But.........

Hmm, does this mean that the blind get free postage for their media material?

Just wondering.

I think (not sure) but the PO still offers a cheaper rate for books. Since the blind cannot read regular printed books, they get a cheaper rate for equivalent versions of printed books, such as Braille books, books on tape, books on CDs, etc.

An equivalent version for the Deaf would be VHS tapes or CDs or DVDs that use signed versions of printed materials. For example, if an ASL storyteller signs Mother Goose Fairy Tales on a VHS tape, that would be equivalent to a printed version of the fairy tales, or a voiced books-on-tape version for the blind.

No, the BLIND have their very own postage rate -- possibly free, I am still researching this.

There has always been a cheap rate for "books", for anyone, but now they do not call it "books" they call it "Media Material" which can cover a broad range of things. In this case, "Blind Media Material" was on the very top and there was no charge.

Alot of people do not know the difference between a deaf person and a blind person! Perhaps the postmaster gave me the "blind" choice, thorugh ignorance?

Just curious!

Back