A few questions that will probably seem a little silly...

November Gypsy

Reaction score
:wave:Hullo. I am severly hoh. It is likely (though, I suppose not definate) that I will be completely deaf in the near future. The problem is that I don't know why I'm losing my hearing. I still feel confused and a little lost a lot of the time, especially when I go into public situations. Does anyone else feel like that? Does it pass in time? It may not for me, because I have always been a little nervous around people, even when I could hear. The doctor said I had 'flucuating' hearing loss. I didn't really understand what he meant by that and what it means? Could that be a symptom of why I'm going deaf? The person who tested my hearing also said that I will probably need to get 'over-the-ear' hearing aids, instead of the inner ear ones I have. While I agree that the ones I have don't work, I just wondered by the over the ear ones are better. I would also like to learn Sign Langauge, and I am going to a very basic class...but what can I do beyond that? I don't have anyone to teach me in my family or anything.

I know that is a lot of questions....but I really appriecate the help. There are days when I feel completely alright with what is happening, and then there are days when I feel a little confused and out of control. Most of the time though, I'm learning to just cope...I just need the tools to do it! So, please give me your insight! Thank you so much!

Im guessing you're talking about "behind the ear" (BTE) hearing aids. They are more powerful than the inside the ear (ITE) ones. They need more power so they are "bigger" and would not fit inside the ear. To become fluent in sign language, I suggest looking into the local deaf community. They usually have a lot of socials (such as coffee chat). I went to one and learned way more signs than 8 hours of class. The teacher of the class may know where you can meet other deaf people.

Yes, I meant behind the ear. :giggle:. I couldn't remember what they were called. Thank you for explaining to me about that. So I could learn sign from the local deaf community? I didn't think of that....

Yes, I meant behind the ear. :giggle:. I couldn't remember what they were called. Thank you for explaining to me about that. So I could learn sign from the local deaf community? I didn't think of that....

Yea, I did take a class and learned enough signs to start talking to someone at a deaf social. I recommend learning fingerspelling well first. I would say go to the class, and after you feel comfortable enough to sign a basic conversation... ask around where you can meet deaf people.

Yea, I did take a class and learned enough signs to start talking to someone at a deaf social. I recommend learning fingerspelling well first. I would say go to the class, and after you feel comfortable enough to sign a basic conversation... ask around where you can meet deaf people.

Well, I know the alphabet signed, and I try to use it every day, even if it is only to myself. The deaf community might also be able to help me teach my baby sign? She's hearing, but I want her to be comfortable with signing with me as I learn. (Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me, by the by)

Well, I know the alphabet signed, and I try to use it every day, even if it is only to myself. The deaf community might also be able to help me teach my baby sign? She's hearing, but I want her to be comfortable with signing with me as I learn. (Thank you so much for taking the time to answer me, by the by)

Oh no problem!

The thing is there is a difference between learning more new signs by talking to the deaf community and being taught signs. I don't think one should expect the deaf community to TEACH you anything, ya know what I mean? I'm sure they would help point you in a helpful direction. Although I am not part of the deaf community, so I can't say for sure. I can only tell you what I am doing now. I learned some basic conversation through ASL class and decided to try them out at a deaf social and learned even more, not exactly by being taught but figuring out what they were saying.

Your "fluctuating" loss means that your hearing goes up and down over time rather than just staying where it is or having a steady loss. Not being able to keep up with conversaton is pretty normal for a severe loss, and I doubt that a new BTE (behind the ear) HA will give you the ability to do it again :/

Your "fluctuating" loss means that your hearing goes up and down over time rather than just staying where it is or having a steady loss. Not being able to keep up with conversaton is pretty normal for a severe loss, and I doubt that a new BTE (behind the ear) HA will give you the ability to do it again :/

Yeah, that's what I thought.

I think that she does not need a hearing aid right now because a hearing aid could damage some of her hearing. Maybe, her doctor is not helpful. I don't know. It is probably the best for her to ask another doctor or audiologist for second opinion before she gets a hearing aid. It could be a wax buildup or a block something inside the inner ear. Maybe, a bug is bending against its back on the inner bone - just kidding.

Oh no problem!

The thing is there is a difference between learning more new signs by talking to the deaf community and being taught signs. I don't think one should expect the deaf community to TEACH you anything, ya know what I mean? I'm sure they would help point you in a helpful direction. Although I am not part of the deaf community, so I can't say for sure. I can only tell you what I am doing now. I learned some basic conversation through ASL class and decided to try them out at a deaf social and learned even more, not exactly by being taught but figuring out what they were saying.

Yes, I understand what you mean by 'teach'. I really didn't mean it that way...I meant more just being given some practial advice, and that type of thing. Glad you clarified though!

I should have been more clear. I am defiantely losing hearing, but the loss seems to change. For example, what would have been an especially difficult day to hear six months ago, is considered one of my more 'hearing' days now....but it can still go up and down some. Do I make sense at all? My 'bad' days are worse then they used to be, but I can still have 'good' days, though they are never as 'good' as they used to be. I hate defining it as 'bad' and 'good' but I can't think of any other way. The flux is still going on, but getting less varied, I am now considered moderate-to-severe hoh even on my better days, and on my not so good days it's just severe. A few months ago, I was hearing moderately on my good days and only severely on my not so good days. There! I tried.
Why is it that the hearing aids won't help?

Last edited:
Yeah, that's what I thought.

I think that she does not need a hearing aid right now because a hearing aid could damage some of her hearing. Maybe, her doctor is not helpful. I don't know. It is probably the best for her to ask another doctor or audiologist for second opinion before she gets a hearing aid. It could be a wax buildup or a block something inside the inner ear. Maybe, a bug is bending against its back on the inner bone - just kidding.

I already use an inner-ear hearing aid, and it does help. I am losing hearing, it just isn't as severe as it is other times. Why do you think it could hurt my hearing? And very funny about the bug...:D...really had bad visions there for a second.

I read your posts. You are able to hear better sometimes, and it does not mean that you are losing your hearing because many deaf people's hearings only go down to worse that never go up. Yours is very different and probably very rare.

Repeat antibiotic medicines can cause hearing loss. Loud music and background heavy noises are problem. Physical fighting a lot can be also a problem. A mystery thing that could happen if you still keep thinking being deaf, then you become deaf so you wouldn't want that happen. (You might want to think positive for now to see what happens.)

Poor or cheap food that could affect your health. I am not a doctor, and I do know some things. Okay.

Now, I think that you need to narrow your problem where it comes from. It is the hardest part for you to find the source of the problem.

Many doctors (not all doctors) do not give a damn about it because they have so many patients to come in the office every single day and make tons of money.

If you know that might be a problem, then let us know on your thread on the forum. I wish that there is a miracle for us to hear and... being in a normal life in a hearing world without barrel walls.

If it fluctuates and gets a lot better how about functional hearing loss?

Oh I missed your last post today. Now, you are wearing an inner-ear hearing aid. Not bad. It is important that your audiologist should not set your hearing to hear loud sounds.

Every time, I go to my audiologist. She adjusted my hearing aids to increase the sound better and loud, but my hearings developed hearing loss later when I get older. I also get new and powerful ones approximately 12 years.

In fact, when you are in the audiology booth for your hearing tests, your audiologist should NEVER turn up very loud sound on your headphone because it can cause your hearing loss in a big time. Soft loud is the safe zone. You have to let your audiologist to know first because you have the rights to protect your hearing no matter what. If your audiologist explains that she/he wants to increase the loud on your test, then you should take off your earphone and walk away. I hope that you understand this situation. It's your life.

Oh I missed your last post today. Now, you are wearing an inner-ear hearing aid. Not bad. It is important that your audiologist should not set your hearing to hear loud sounds.

Every time, I go to my audiologist. She adjusted my hearing aids to increase the sound better and loud, but my hearings developed hearing loss later when I get older. I also get new and powerful ones approximately 12 years.

In fact, when you are in the audiology booth for your hearing tests, your audiologist should NEVER turn up very loud sound on your headphone because it can cause your hearing loss in a big time. Soft loud is the safe zone. You have to let your audiologist to know first because you have the rights to protect your hearing no matter what. If your audiologist explains that she/he wants to increase the loud on your test, then you should take off your earphone and walk away. I hope that you understand this situation. It's your life.

Wow. :shock::shock::shock:

I really appriecate the time you took to explain all that. Just to let you know, I'm not really a negative person. I don't dwell generally on negative things. I do, however, try to be factual about things that scare me because I can waayyyyyy over-imagine things if I get worked up. So, for me, being realistic about how little I can hear helps keep me from getting really frightened.

I will be careful about the loud sounds, but I can't hear them very well, you see, so do you mean that if they sound loud to me, I should be careful? Not much does anymore, even on my 'good' days. I will print out what you said and try to incoporate it in my list of things to talk to the doctor about. I do want to make sure that you understand that I never hear well. Ever. On my 'good' days, I can hear moderately out of one ear, the other is always severe. On my not so good days, I can hardly hear anything at all, even with the hearing aids. You see? Anyway, thanks so much :bowdown: for the effort and care you took in explaining. No one has ever explained that stuff to me before!

It can be overwhelming at first, but you'll eventually get good at it.

Every college is different with what they have to offer for sign language. Some offer more than others. There's a community college near where I live that offers a lot of sign language classes.

There are places you can go to for meeting other deaf people. The two most popular places are Deaf (Professional) Happy Hour and Deaf Chat Coffee. You can a DCC location at Deaf Chat Coffee and see if they have one near you. As for DPHH, I'm not sure since some have their own websites. You could look on Google. :thumb:

Yes, it can be hard when you don't have anyone else to learn sign language with. That's why it would be good if you could get your husband involved. That's also what the deaf social events would be good for. You would meet people there. They might even be able to help you get more resources for learning sign language. :)

Back