A Few Questions Regarding Interpreting

StevieMont927

Reaction score
Hi, I'm planning on becoming an ASL interpreter, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Stuff that interpreters do that's irritating, proper ways to go about handling different situations, etc? I've read horror stories about bad interpreters, and I've been in situations where I've either used or wished for an interpreter, and I can tell you I'm thankful I had people who listened. I guess what I need is a do/don't list for interpreting. I want to be able to get the message across in the least difficult or irritating way.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
-Stevie

Hi, I'm planning on becoming an ASL interpreter, and I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions? Stuff that interpreters do that's irritating, proper ways to go about handling different situations, etc? I've read horror stories about bad interpreters, and I've been in situations where I've either used or wished for an interpreter, and I can tell you I'm thankful I had people who listened. I guess what I need is a do/don't list for interpreting. I want to be able to get the message across in the least difficult or irritating way.

Thanks in advance for any advice!
-Stevie

Use the search feature. We have had several threads on this topic in the past. You will find useful information already posted without asking members to repeat themselves.

The best advice I can give is to enroll in a college level interpreter training program where you'll quickly learn that there's more to interpreting than a simple "do/don't" list.

Back