A few questions for all... PLEASE answer!!! :)

Falkyn

Reaction score
Hello there everyone! :wave:

I am a hearing student at a four-year university in southern California, and I am currently taking a class on cross-cultural psychology. One of our assignments is to interview someone (or multiple people) from another culture and make an informal presentation about their culture to the class. As we don't have any deaf/hard of hearing (hoh) students in our school, and I am interested in becoming a teacher/translator at a deaf school in Mexico post-graduation, I thought it would be awesome to educate my peers about deaf culture and learn more myself! Anyone out there willing to answer a few questions for me? If so, please respond to the following questions in a comment below! You will have my eternal gratitude, and a great number of brownie/cool points.

1. Are you deaf or hard-of-hearing?

2. If not, how did you become a part of a deaf/hoh community? If so, how long have you been a part of the deaf/hoh community?

3. What country do you live in? If you live in the US, what state?

4. What does your community look like? I.E. are you part of a deaf/hoh family, school, club, etc.? (If you are the only deaf/hoh person in your immediate acquaintance, feel free to skip question 5.)

5. What is unique about your deaf/hoh culture? In other words, are there any traditions, shared values, or activities (besides using sign language) that set you apart from the hearing communities in your area?

6. How are the deaf/hoh viewed by the hearing in your country/state/area?

7. How does the hearing community in general treat your culture? Are they usually respectful, or are you often misunderstood/mistreated?

8. What is the most culturally sensitive (appropriate/polite) way for a hearing person to interact with a deaf/hoh person when starting a conversation?

9. What is the worst experience you have had while interacting with someone from a hearing culture?

10. What is the best experience you have had while interacting with someone from a hearing culture?

11. If you could get all of those in the hearing community to listen to you for one moment, what would you tell them? (This is less of a formal question, and more of an opportunity for you to add any information or opinions that the previous questions did not allow for.)

Thank you so VERY much for your time and your responses! This is a huge part of my grade, plus I am genuinely interested in your answers, so this means the world to me! You rock! :D

Back