A&E Hoarders TV Show

shimo

Reaction score
Yikes! And I thought I was messy.

This show really made me realize that I have to take my disorganization seriously before it actually become serious. And it makes me want to clean after I watch because my own messes look like a joke compared to what I saw on the screen.

Recently, I watched the episode of Shanna & Lynda.
This episode is DEFINITELY not for the faint of heart or the faint of barfing. :shock:

Shanna is one of the most shocking hoarders I've seen on the show.
She demonstrated zero understanding of sanitary conditions.

Shanna & Lynda episode spoilers:
I still can't get it out of my head what she said to Max Paxton, a cleaning expert, when he asked her what she thought made the house smell the worst.
She immediately lit up and responded with "oh, I know this. It's the mold and dust! The musty smell is due to all the mold and dust in the house."
To which Max calmly responds, "No, it's all the feces and urine that's saved up in the house. The feces and urine are causing the smell."
"But my sister said the house has a musty smell. So I think some of it is caused by the mold and dust."
"The mold and dust are nothing compared to the smell of feces, Shanna."
"It's a musty smell, right? I don't smell the feces anymore."

Whoa, how do you reach that stage? Can't smell poop in a house full of poop? I am so baffled. She really sounded like she thought the reason why the house stank is all because of mold and dust.
I thought about how maybe an aversion to poop is social construct, like feeling cold (I think I read somewhere that kids who aren't raised with awareness of outdoor temperature will not feel coldness.) or being averse to body odor, but I can't wrap my mind around it.
I can't imagine being her neighbor! The smell must've been awful.

The show claims at the beginning that 1 in 20 people may have severe hoarding problems. Each day after I watch hoarders, I pay a little more attention to the windows of each house on my street: I wonder if one of them is a hoarder, and I wonder if they know how serious things cam get if they don't address the problem head on. I also clean my room and another room in the house thoroughly until the floors sparkle.

I realize that by putting off cleaning and organizing is a greater punishment than just doing it right then and there.

Watch the show occasionally myself...some episodes are a real shocker....it's hard to fathom people living like this.

Never been a Hoarder, and I've down-sized many, many times. Can't deal with any clutter on the floors or a nasty kitchen/fridge....I do have a friend that is borderline hoarder tho'....but as for herself, she keeps clean (clothes/body, etc.)...but the House?...Nah!...Always on the go....So much junk everywhere, it's hard to even sit down....But feel that I do know what her problem is....she's been poor all her life, and hangs onto everything she has, never throwing out anything.

Another friend hoards Cats (stray ones)...has 30 in her home. And no one is allowed inside because of the "smell"....Even the VP repairman had to wear a mask to fix her VP and told her he was sorry but he would not be coming back, as the smell made him real sick...she was upset and angry about it...telling me that "I changed the Cat Liter and sprayed with Frebreze"....but she is so used to the smell, it doesm't bother her at all....She chooses Cats over any huma being and even her son will not go to see her....very sick situation....I've never been inside her house, and have known her 15 years...

she was upset and angry about it...telling me that "I changed the Cat Liter and sprayed with Frebreze"....but she is so used to the smell, it doesm't bother her at all....

What else doesn't bother her are the sick cats dying or dead that she lost track of. If she was my friend, I'd call animal control on her - for both her protection and the cats suffering in her care...

Sad to see people this sick..especially when they refuse help.

Laura

i saw this show first time this week(why needed watch american horders got enough of our own)and it pulled me up sharply i keep stuff just incase i needed it but i going have good clean out...they say if not used something in 6months then you dont need it and you can bet as soon as got rid of whatever you going to need it..sods law..
people who keep poop do have serious problems

What else doesn't bother her are the sick cats dying or dead that she lost track of. If she was my friend, I'd call animal control on her - for both her protection and the cats suffering in her care...

Sad to see people this sick..especially when they refuse help.

Laura

Well...i just took ur advise today after a while of thinking it over....Was asked my name as the complaintant, but was able to remain anoymous...But don't feel it's going to do any good, as someone made the same complaint last year or so...and they allowed her to keep several cats....and now, it's back up to 30 or more....As long as I;ve know her, she is crazy about Cats....but she is getting old and living alone, and the Cats are her children (is my guess).....

I know the Cats will be better off, even if they have to be put to sleep....it's my friend's frame of mind that Im concerned about....maybe she can get the help she needs....

we had animal horders on tv(again american ones when we got plenty of our own)my young neighbour is animal horder cats parrots,the cats crap in my garden i end up feeding them,the rspca will do nothing because they healthy and i the one who feeds them..if i let her cats starve then rspsa would do something vicious circle

I saw an episode of an obviously emotionally disturbed cat woman who'd keep the dead cats in a freezer to be cremated later. I felt bad for the living cats because they were in pain due to respiratory illnesses and other feline issues just from living in unsanitary conditions. The animal control came and ended up having to euthanize more than half of the cats.

And the irony is that she didn't realize how she was hurting the animals, she never bothered to keep a litter box or anything. The cats would just poop and pee anywhere and she never cleaned it.

What a piece of work!

I remember seeing an episode of C.S.I. (Las Vegas) when they found a couple dead bodies in a house of a hoarder.

The cats thing is really sad... I foster animals for a rescue group here in the Twin Cities, and a LOT of their cats come from hoarders. It's terrible. One of the cats I have now came from a basement where she was being kept with two dozen other cats. The man who was keeping them originally had good intentions (he had only one cat of his own, and he took in a neighbor's cat that had been abandoned), but then the neighbor's cat and his cat had kittens, and those kittens had more kittens...

It's just so unfair to the animals. It makes me so sad...

These shows are like an old carnival freak show. People with extreme mental issues are being used for profit.

Back