A dumb and deaf girl drowned in a river at Anyinasu

Miss-Delectable

Reaction score
http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/regional/artikel.php?ID=108317

Zakina Dauda, 10, a deaf and dumb girl, got drowned in River Woromso at Anyinasu near Tepa in the Ahafo-Ano North District last Sunday.

According to police source, the girl fell into the river that has become stagnant at Anyinasu on the 45- kilometre Tepa/Mankraso road because a culver designed to drain the river across the road has been choked with silt.

The police said the girl was walking along the road when she suddenly fell into the river.

The District Chief Executive of Ahafo-Ano North, Nana Eric Agyemang Prempeh, has suggested to the consultant supervising the road construction to redesign that portion of the road and replace the culvert with a bridge and provide walkways.

Miss-Delectable said:
http://www.ghanaweb.com/GhanaHomePage/regional/artikel.php?ID=108317

Zakina Dauda, 10, a deaf and dumb girl, got drowned in River Woromso at Anyinasu near Tepa in the Ahafo-Ano North District last Sunday.

According to police source, the girl fell into the river that has become stagnant at Anyinasu on the 45- kilometre Tepa/Mankraso road because a culver designed to drain the river across the road has been choked with silt.

The police said the girl was walking along the road when she suddenly fell into the river.

The District Chief Executive of Ahafo-Ano North, Nana Eric Agyemang Prempeh, has suggested to the consultant supervising the road construction to redesign that portion of the road and replace the culvert with a bridge and provide walkways.

Deaf and dumb?

Your Mom said:
Deaf and dumb?
Well you have to understand this is in a foreign country. The US knows better than to say that, but that awful term is still used in other countries. Dumb back in the 40-60's meant mute not stupid. But that word dumb now means stupid. It's like gay. It used to just mean happy. In fact my uncle's middle name is Gay. But as we all know that word has changed it's meaning completely. I am not saying deaf and dumb is acceptable to use, of course not, I am just saying that word had a different meaning back then. However, mute wasn't accurate either.

robbielyn said:
Well you have to understand this is in a foreign country. The US knows better than to say that, but that awful term is still used in other countries. Dumb back in the 40-60's meant mute not stupid. But that word dumb now means stupid. It's like gay. It used to just mean happy. In fact my uncle's middle name is Gay. But as we all know that word has changed it's meaning completely. I am not saying deaf and dumb is acceptable to use, of course not, I am just saying that word had a different meaning back then. However, mute wasn't accurate either.

I totally understand, at first I was just a bit put off by the use of the phrase.

Your Mom said:
I totally understand, at first I was just a bit put off by the use of the phrase.

So was I. I understand the cultural differences, but still, it's rather offensive to refer to a deafie that way.

Your Mom said:
Deaf and dumb?

I was more put off by the phrase "got drowned." Apparently the writer didn't "get learned" in proper English.

robbielyn said:
Yep. It's like saying "Bloody Hell!" In America, it doesn't mean anything... but in Europe (England), it's an offensive phrase.

I still feel not right to call deaf and dumb! Cuz we are smart like hearing people!

farewell65 said:
I still feel not right to call deaf and dumb! Cuz we are smart like hearing people!

Yes, but as was already pointed out, ‘dumb’ is an archaic term for ‘mute’. But it does remind me of a story my wife once told me about an experience she had in junior high back in the early 1970’s. An LAPD officer was giving a question-and-answer talk on drug abuse at her school. One of the girls in my wife's special ed class raised her hand and asked the officer a question. She asked the officer to face her directly when he answered, because she was deaf. The officer looked at her and said “oh—deaf and dumb, huh?”. I wonder just how long he would have kept his job if he had said that in this day and age.

Back