A Cure

Status
Not open for further replies.
YES!!!!!! BALTIMORE OWNED STEELERS!!!!!!!

hehehehe...

I guess Botts' definition makes the most sense so far.

Steelers were using a 3rd string QB the entire game....

When is deafness cured.....simple. When hearing is restored without use of a device. Right now it can't be cured.....Maybe someday.

Steelers were using a 3rd string QB the entire game....

When is deafness cured.....simple. When hearing is restored without use of a device. Right now it can't be cured.....Maybe someday.

You mean like Divine intervention? Hey, you said without use of a device, most things uses devices, even stem cells.

but I know what you mean: hearing devices like CIs or HAs

Wirelessly posted

I don't need a cure to complete or to be prefect hearing. :)

And, this is why I stay here. And, why I call you my friend. :)

I don't expect everyone to agree with each other. Heck, that won't ever happen even in the real world, but for pete sake, the hostility is just not warranted or needed.
In another word, the supposed hostility is only okay as long it's an one way street? That it's okay only for those from one side of the coin to "express their views" but it isn't for the other, right?

In another word, the supposed hostility is only okay as long it's an one way street? That it's okay only for those from one side of the coin to "express their views" but it isn't for the other, right?

Obviously you are the one that can't read... I thought Drphil was bad.

I read one MRI-driven neurological study that showed that without hearing, that physical location in the brain previously assigned to language (spoken and written) was taken over by sense of smell -- and flashed on the MRI when smells were being triggered rather than when conversing or writing. I've asked our surgeon if they know whether or not CI kids reallocate this part of the brain to spoken language or if yet another bit of brain matter real estate is being commandeered for the newly acquired sense of hearing. He didn't think that had yet been studied.

The brain is one of the fascinating parts of being human. :)

Here are two books that you may know of (or not). :)

The Brain That Changes Itself: Stories of Personal Triumph from the Frontiers of Brain Science: Norman Doidge, MD | The Brain That Changes Itself official website

Proust and the Squid: The Story and Science of the Reading Brain
Maryanne Wolf: Maryanne Wolf

This discussion is insane!! Sorry I have not posted in awhile its not because i'm neglecting my Deaf stature in life since my CI. I would like to give my views on the CI in a unbiased sense. The CI is pretty close to what real hearing is like. I was hearing before going deaf, So I can give this opinion. My brain has retained my auditory memory from my previous 21 yrs of a normal hearing individual. I can totally understand how " CI hearing would be horrendous" to some. Music is not a easy task for the Brain with a CI if you have no idea what your hearing. For instance I can easily listen to every single song to the group Creedance Clearwater Revival. But when my younger brother plays his "music" RAP I cant understand a thing being said. But its touch and go with any device that gives you any assitance. And just like one poster stated about " grainy TV's as a description and how things advance. Soo true.. but for those seeking hearing again.. " some is better than none". And To me its far better than hearing aids ever could do for my loss. Everyone is different but I dont understand how some people on here make so many assumptions when they themselves have never experienced being deaf or ever experienced Hearing Aides or Ci's Untill youve walked a mile in ones shoes you never will know and shouldnt makes absurd accusations!

This discussion is insane!! Sorry I have not posted in awhile its not because i'm neglecting my Deaf stature in life since my CI. I would like to give my views on the CI in a unbiased sense. The CI is pretty close to what real hearing is like. I was hearing before going deaf, So I can give this opinion. My brain has retained my auditory memory from my previous 21 yrs of a normal hearing individual. I can totally understand how " CI hearing would be horrendous" to some. Music is not a easy task for the Brain with a CI if you have no idea what your hearing. For instance I can easily listen to every single song to the group Creedance Clearwater Revival. But when my younger brother plays his "music" RAP I cant understand a thing being said. But its touch and go with any device that gives you any assitance. And just like one poster stated about " grainy TV's as a description and how things advance. Soo true.. but for those seeking hearing again.. " some is better than none". And To me its far better than hearing aids ever could do for my loss. Everyone is different but I dont understand how some people on here make so many assumptions when they themselves have never experienced being deaf or ever experienced Hearing Aides or Ci's Untill youve walked a mile in ones shoes you never will know and shouldnt makes absurd accusations!

I agree.

I never experience hearing, but I have experience both Hearing aids and CI.

Well said

AMEN!

CIs are far better than HAs anyday and for those who need a reality check...I have had both.

The question of day...Why is it that everybody got an opinion...especially when they have no experience themselves? :roll:

I'll just say this much... Hearing real sounds is at least 1 million times better than hearing aids and any equipments i've wore over the years. I cannot imagine the the quality of CI... It must be horrendous.

As a CIer, I don't think the quality of my CI and the sounds with the CI are horrendous. I enjoy music and environmental sounds greatly. Yes, sometimes there is an irritating sound sometimes (which I'm sure of course most hearing people have heard it too), but for the most part almost everything sounds great. If the sounds starts to deteriorate for me, all I have to do is make a little short trip to my CI clinic and have my MAP tweaked or get a whole new MAP. It is no big deal.

First, who are you to determine what should be the language of ALL of the deaf?

She did not determine anything. She said it was a GIVEN. Big difference.

Secondly, aren't you kind of proposing an "One Shoe Fit All" mentality? Isn't that kind of saying that all that fall within a subculture based on race, ethnicity, demographics, physical appearance, disabilities, etc... have to live in a certain way?

She hasn't been proposing any such thing.

Lastly, seeing that you made 8,000+ posts and also claiming that you're hearing, may I ask exactly what is your relationship to the deaf and hard of hearing? Are you an interpreter or something?

She has several Deaf friends, of which one of them is me. But, even if she didn't have any Deaf friends, she still has every right to be here. She came here to learn about the Deaf and Deaf culture and everything related to the Deaf people.

By those definitions I am not handicapped so therefore need no such "cure".

I agree with LDNanna, I think the OP's question is lost on quite a few here. Deafness defines who we are, it is more than just 'not hearing'.

But I've never heard anyone who knows what he or she is talking about claim that a CI provides exactly what a human ear is designed to do naturally. Just because the access to sound via a CI is different from what most people hear with fully functioning ears doesn't mean it is "horrendous."

Thank you!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back