a couple questions for u both hearing and deaf

cental34 said:
I have a question for deaf people, concerning hearing people that are learning to sign. When you do see a hearing ASL student at a social event for the deaf, do you welcome them openly and would you encourage them to come out, if they're wanting to learn to use ASL in social situations or to help them understand better? Or does it bother you when someone like that comes out?
that's a really interesting question, because I'm an ASL student, and i've been taught in all my ASL classes that many deafies don't want to socialize with hearies, students or not, and that has kept me away from "deaf events" as opposed to "student/deaf events" but I have never run into a deaf person who wasn't willing to try and communicate. I think it's more of a minority than it is made out to be in ASL classes.

This is the one thing that is preventing me from getting involved with local organizations and outings. I'm just not sure how the reception would be.

i've known fingerspelling since I was about 9, and I just kept at it. If I remember right it took me about 3-4 weeks. I'm taking an ASL class now, and i'm very much so eager to learn all the signs. Our prof is hearing, but she's got a degree from Gallaudet and she has brought in 2 of her deaf friends on separate occassions. That's always a motivation, is wanting to know what they say so she doesn't need to interpret.

I really think it's a beautiful language though, and that helps me want to learn it more. My co-workers chuckle at me when they see me practicing my signs during the day :D

Fingerspelling was the easy part. In training, we were taught to spell our names. Then we also have to use the signs for "R" and "OD" on the job. When I tell someone I'm teaching myself ASL at my job, they think I'm nuts. Whats nuts is that my job is intended to help deaf people, and we work with them everyday. I don't see what is so crazy about wanting to learn their language. :dunno:

My one year younger sister learn from me automaic since we grow up together. I can't remember either I taught her or not. It look like that she learn from me and my friend Lynn automaic. (My parents fostered Lynn to live with us).

I work together with my co-worker for 14 years. She know my voice and use paper and pen if we don't understand each other sometimes until at 5 years ago. She asked me to teach her how to sign. I did but I'm surprised that she learn very quickly than my other friend.

i grew up with total communication i met my hubby at RIT, he knew no signs until in 92, met his childhood deaf friend again after many years (20 yrs I think) and started to learn sign language (ASL)... ironic - he is deaf, he grew up oral and did not sign....he is still learning everyday....his mom is totally against it and still is today.. ugh whatever.... :crazy:

:wave: I learned to sign from my parent's when I was 4 years old. I remember them teaching me fingerspelling, I remember them teaching me sign language, but, for the life of me, I don't remember who taught me to speak. It's like sign language is my first language, because I never have rememebered where the oralism started with me. Strange huh :giggle:

Back