A couple of questions regarding signing.

CyborgAkemi

Reaction score
WOW! What a great site and community you have going on! My name is Matt, I live in California, Sacramento area...Yeah, yeah I know I need to put this in the introduce yourself section but I thought I would introduce myself and then ask a few questions. I am hearing. I need to ask a few questions about a song I am signing for ASL1 at school. The song I am signing is called Fly Above by Sota Fujimori. Here are my questions.

1. Is the sign for we the same as signing we'll?
Lines

And we'll be flying in heaven, love lifts us high

2. In ASL do I or should I sign are when the line is

And we ARE flying to heaven, to find peace of mind.

3. What would be the sign for Sorrow?

Leave behind every sorrow, Fly away.

Haha, I am a n00b. Thanks everyone.

Last edited:
WOW! What a great site and community you have going on! My name is Matt, I live in California, Sacramento area...Yeah, yeah I know I need to put this in the introduce yourself section but I thought I would introduce myself and then ask a few questions. I am hearing. I need to ask a few questions about a song I am signing for ASL1 at school. The song I am signing is called Fly Above by Sota Fujimori. Here are my questions.

1. Is the sign for we the same as signing we'll?
Lines

And we'll be flying in heaven, love lifts us high

2. In ASL do I or should I sign are when the line is

And we ARE flying to heaven, to find peace of mind.

3. What would be the sign for Sorrow?

Leave behind every sorrow, Fly away.

Haha, I am a n00b. Thanks everyone.

1. I'm not sure.

2. No, you do not sign ARE

3. The concept is SAD

Remember ASL is not a word for word copy of English. One sign can equal many English words depending on speed, direction, and facial expression. Because of that, and the fact that English is liberally sprinkled with idioms it's important to bear in mind the concept behind the English you're translating.

For instance, my daughter's elementary choir signed a song that had the lines "Don't give up. Don't give in" and they signed it literally. Of course you can't give someone an "up" nor can you hand someone an "in" so sign-wise that made no sense. They should have signed something like "Don't despair. Don't quit."

Back