92-Year-Old Woman Kicked Out Of Georgia Church

rockin'robin

Reaction score
For Not Tithing, Nephew Says

A 92-year-old Georgia woman and her nephew say she was recently kicked out of her church, where she has been a member for than 50 years, because she was not tithing.

“Josephine King is no longer considered a member of the First African Baptist Church of Bainbridge, Georgia,” her nephew, Gerald Simmons, read aloud from the letter that he told WALB News his aunt received recently.

The letter, signed by Senior Pastor Derrick Mike, said King “has shown non-support” by failing to keep up with “constant and consistent financial and physical participation.”

Simmons said his aunt has been sick and unable to leave her house for several months.

“She was stunned,” her nephew said of her reaction to the letter. “She was disappointed. She was shocked.”

He added that his aunt had shown plenty of support for the church in the past, and the church might now be too aggressive in collecting money. Tithing is the practice of giving a set percentage of income, traditionally 10 percent, to a church or organization.

“You shouldn’t chase the individuals down,” Simmons said. “You shouldn’t do that. If that’s the case you’re money hungry.”

“You got to have money to make these churches run,” he conceded. “But it’s not about money. It’s about God. You have to put God first.”

WALB says it tried several times to reach officials at Bainbridge's First African Baptist Church for comment but didn’t receive a response.

King’s story follows, by nearly a month, a similar story from Florida.

Candace Petterson told WFTS News in July she received a strange letter from Greater Mount Moriah Primitive Baptist Church in Tampa, Florida, saying she would have to pay more than $1,000 in annual donations in order to “be a member in good standing.”

“People were really friendly there, and I really enjoyed being there,” Petterson, a single mother, said of finding the church about six months before she received the letter.

But the letter said she would have to contribute a minimum of $50 a month. Other items listed in the letter included a $150 fee for what was referred to as “Mount Moriah Day” and another $250 for a church anniversary celebration.

She said she would even have to pay an additional donation for her daughter.

“My child don't have a job, I'm her parent,” Petterson said. “She's 11 years old. Why would you charge a child $5 a month to be a member of a church?”

Petterson said she was going to look for a new church.

WFTS reportedly spoke to church leaders who confirmed the letter had come from the church but declined to offer further comment or explain the letter.

https://www.opposingviews.com/i/rel...ed-out-georgia-church-not-tithing-nephew-says

Their church. Their rules..
Sucks...
But not anyone.bussiness really..its legal to be cold stone assholes, if thats what they want.

Disgusting ! Trying to rob money from an old lady ! The church should be seeing if there is any way they can help the old woman.

not very Christian.. African church near me in London must had over 20.000 members they also aggressive they were had for gold bullion fraud or something like that.. church literature was about God saying ok to be rich and should strive to be rich by getting them all buy shares in gold..The people were totally under the spell of this church

Wondering if good ol' Al and Jackson attend this Church....anyway, all that aside...No one should ever feel obligated to tithe in Church....And saying you must give xx amount of your salary to the Church?....Say what?...I give what I can whenever I attend Church.

Yeah I was wondering about that , I thought people gave what they could afford . That 90 woman live on a fixed income I bet and $1,000 is a lot of money. That will help buy her meds. and food for a few months . The poor lady being kicked out het church b/c she can't afford to give her money way. :(

A tithe is usually 10% of gross income. It's supposed to be voluntary, and between God and the giver. It's supposed to be kept as private as possible.

A tithe is usually 10% of gross income. It's supposed to be voluntary, and between God and the giver. It's supposed to be kept as private as possible.

Then the church made her a church outcast , shame on that church , this is not some Jesus would had done ! .

How is that supposed to be as private as possible when they pass that plate around in front of everyone's eyes?

Last edited:
How is that supposed to be as private as possible when that pass that plate around in front of everyone's eyes?

Pay in cash, I have put larger bills inside a dollar bill so they can't see how much is in it and keep it private. Don't fill out any forms announcing how much you are putting in and etc.

Shouldn't do that at all in first place cause what you give should only be between you and God.

How is that supposed to be as private as possible when that pass that plate around in front of everyone's eyes?

You can be discrete in how you put the money in the plate/basket if you don't want people seeing what you give.

I use church envelopes and write a check once a month and put all into another envelope, so no one sees what I give...not that I care what others think.

Everyone's eyes? Maybe the people on either side of you, if they make the effort.

We use envelopes.

Use a check and put it in face down.

I have no clue what any other member at my church gives, or if they give at all.

Then the church made her a church outcast , shame on that church , this is not some Jesus would had done ! .

Sending disciplinary letters without multiple previous private meetings to resolve any possible issues is also unbiblical.

Sending disciplinary letters without multiple previous private meetings to resolve any possible issues is also unbiblical.

I really feel bad for this woman , I know people that go to church all the time it's a big part of their life , they like the social events etc. This is just so cruel to me. :(

Go in and when they pass the basket to me, start stuffing my pockets or walk out with it... I didnt ask for it and it was GIVEN to me by a stranger.... just saying. lol

I really feel bad for this woman , I know people that go to church all the time it's a big part of their life , they like the social events etc. This is just so cruel to me. :(
Yeah, I don't understand why they're doing that.

Back